“Fantastic food!”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Please visit my blog for the full review

Food and presentation - 4/5
The food at Bistro des Artistes was fantastic. It's been a while since we've enjoyed every morsel of our meal without complaints before dessert! Usually RN or I will always have some complaint by mains.

My oysters were really fresh and I liked the vinaigrette that accompanied the oysters. DT's salmon was perfectly seasoned and went well with the sourdough and salad but my favourite entree of all would have to be RN's oeuf coccotte with cepes mushroom, it tasted absolutely sensational and had a rich mushroom taste which was so good with the bread soldiers.

Our mains were all really yummy. My squid was cooked perfectly and the squid was so fresh and naturally sweet, it was amazing. DT's lamb was perfectly medium rare and again was just beautiful and RN's duck was so tasty. We could not fault anything and were all nice and quiet during mains because we were enjoying it so much.

After mains, we were presented with a platter of cheese with grapes and bread, unfortunately or fortunately I was the only one who can eat all the cheeses. I can't exactly remember what cheeses they were but it was a blue cheese, aged cheddar and a brie. Beautiful cheeses which were wasted because I could not finish it all by myself.

Before dessert was served, we were given a pre-dessert of caramel rice pudding, it was nice but nothing spectacular.

Our desserts arrived and they were all nice but nothing spectacular and this was the point when the complaints started. Actually, RN loved her dessert and was still quiet, the berry tart was pretty good. DT's creme brulee was good although nothing special, DT commented that it was a bit too big (not sure if that is a positive or negative comment). Okay, it was me that had the complaint, it's always me...the il flottante (or floating island) is basically meringue with a custard sauce and drizzled with praline and caramel sauce. The first couple of bites were not bad, it was not something I've had before and the texture was interesting but it quickly became way too sweet and I was unable to finish it - it just didn't do much for me.

Our petits fours arrived with our coffee and tea but it was a bit of a shame that they were slightly wet. I couldn't quite tell what flavour they were and we weren't told but it had a hint of lemon flavour and I've had better macaroons.

I would've given them a higher score if dessert was better because I really do think the entree and mains deserve at least a 4.5/5 but dessert which was nice but just not great brought the score down. Shame.

Service - 3.5/5
Our waiter was cute and French and we had some communication problems. He was ever so helpful, checked in on us and was very friendly but unfortunately was also a bit forgetful and didn't quite understand what pregnancy means in terms of what they can and can't eat. For example, for the oeuf cocotte we explained to him that pregnant women can't have raw egg and can we have the egg cooked through but the dish came out with raw egg on top so we asked him if it can be cooked through. He took it back to the kitchen and it returned without the egg or the bread soldiers with no explanation of why the egg was removed but we just assumed it probably works better without the raw egg than to ruin the dish by overcooking it (we had ask for the bread soldiers). We also had another lady serve us now and again but she was not very friendly.

Alain was here tonight looking after the front of house and he was so lovely and friendly. I was walking around taking photos and the chef said hi and he said I could take a photo of him and Alain was also there and we had a nice casual chat. Later that night, I walked past the kitchen again and told the chef that the food was awesome and Alain and the chef both said thank you and said they would like to see us again. I feel a bit rude that I didn't ask the chef his name. It may not seem like anything special but in Perth it is rare that you can 1. speak to the chef directly and 2. have a friendly and welcoming chat with the owner.

Atmosphere and decor - 4.5/5
I absolutely love the decor at Bistro des Artistes, especially the mirror lined wall. I didn't give them 5/5 because the bar area was not as immaculate as one would expect at such a restaurant. There was a nice atmosphere in the restaurant and indeed felt like a bistro. A nice mix of patrons contributed to the nice atmosphere; patrons ranged from young lovey dovey dressed up couples who feed each other (yes they were feeding each other...), to friends having celebratory dinners (like us) to quite casually dressed locals. Not pretentious at all.

Value for money - 5/5
Definitely worth the money especially when you compare it to similar places. I would be happy to pay more for the quality of the food, friendly service and great atmosphere.

Taste Test Total Score 17/20

Reviewed February 20, 2014

I was thoroughly looking forward to trying this restaurant as I had read much about the owners and their talents.
Unfortunately that expertise did not flow onto the efficiency of their wait staff. Meals came at quite a gap of varying times to our large group, sides were supplied as meals were finished and water and wine were very slow in being replenished.
The hard flooring and walls in the small space meant it was very loud when full, almost making it impossible to hear a conversation at times.
The food was nice but not to the standard I was expecting. Overall I was disappointed.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Feb 2014, Husband & friend took me along for a much anticipated birthday dinner to Bistro des Artistes, on account of the fact that we hadnt made it back to the Loose Box since the 80s & also keen to see Mr Mollois's influence on desserts. 7 pm booking, a Tuesday evening. Restaurant was about 2/3rds full when we arrived. After 20 minutes had to ask to see a drinks list, asked for tap water, received & were charged for Still, despite seeing later that other tables had tap water. French waitress couldnt speak basic English ...when asked if a little tempter just delivered was sorbet - she says 'yes' - no, it was a mousse... etc! Not even a basic grip. Waited well over half an hour to order, an hour for entree to arrive. I am afraid repeated deliveries of the same little shot glass tempters didnt make up for the terrible service & long waits. Deep fried pig's trotter COLD. Mains - duck - COLD. But possibly worst of all was the edict when ordering at the start of the night that out of 4 deserts we couldnt really order 2 of them as they were about to run out!!!! Those two being the ones that involved pastry, with Mr Mollois supposedly at the helm a real disappointment. (The floating island dessert we ordered was very very sweet & not at all enjoyable). Coffee was delivered slopped all over the saucers. When walking past the kitchen after dessert (by now about 10.45, so much for an early night) the tension & surliness amongst staff was palpable. What was going on?!! Altogether a shambles, SUCH a disappointment with proprietors (both absent) of such good credentials. Alain seen briefly, departing as we arrived. Only good things were the champagne & the decor. But left with a bad taste altogether.

1  Thank Shy321
Reviewed February 18, 2014

There were 4 of us for dinner & the place was full yet only 3 waitpersons on. The service was prompt when we sat, water glasses filled & bread delivered but we had not even been there 2 mins before they were over to get our dinner orders & we had no even looked at the menu nor had been asked if we would like a drink & sadly that is where the promptness ended!
The menu was expensive with a few choices as it was a set menu (I did not know this before) with some interesting dishes though one has to like French food for a lot of the choices. Two of us had pigs trotters on lentils & having never tried them before we were interested especially after the waiter explained the dish. They were nothing like he said & were just a couple of bits of trotter 'gelatine' deep fried & the only nice part were the lentils! The rest of the meals were mixed, some nice dishes, some ordinary & nothing stellar which was such a shame. I don't mind paying if the food is up to the quality of the price & this showed so much promise.

I think we must have had a food critic @ the next table (of 4) as he started asking us what rating we would give the place (we were generous & gave it a 7) & asking us about the food & service as they also had slow service. It was rather funny as the table on the other side of us that had 6 people yet had 2 of the 3 waitpersons hovering to their every whim & even though they arrived much later than us they were getting all their orders before & never had to repeatedly ask for anything. I think perhaps they thought this was the critic table but no excuse to ignore the other patrons.
Our table were all sitting there with nothing to drink for such a long time & we asked the waitperson 3 times for water & in the end we got him to leave a water jug which he left only half full so two of us still went thirsty!
All in all food was okay but the service pretty bad. It was expensive especially the wine & what is on the wine list is not exactly what you get so we discovered. Different brand to what was written yet they just opened the bottle & never even consulted us to the change! As it was a birthday & it was nice we accepted it as he had already poured it out anyway but not good in my books?
Would we recommend it or go back, sadly no.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Dine in Last week and was truly happy with the experience !

Proper simple but Tasty French Bistro Food served in a relaxing atmosphere, front staff working hard to please and managing to smile when it was VERY busy.

This is what French food is all about, wine a bit pricey but that is Subiaco !

Highly RECOMMENDED , Merci