“What were they thinking?”
Review of Satsuki

Satsuki
Ranked #9 of 109 Restaurants in Subiaco
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Perth
“What were they thinking?”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

We went to a Festival of Perth event last Tuesday at the Regal Theatre. The show started at 7 pm and finished by 8:45 pm and there were streams of people heading out along Rokeby Rd looking for somewhere to eat. We have previously enjoyed the food here about 6 times and it was the first place we thought of going to after the show. We arrived at 8:55 pm and were told we had to order by 9:10 pm. That was fine as we already knew what we would order (soft shell crab, for starters!) There were 3 tables outside and only 1 had people seated at it. We asked if we could sit outside and was told we couldn't! We could only sit inside where it was a lot hotter, not even in the covered area where there were spare tables... We thought it was a pretty poor effort, and left. We went back to one of the other cafes which was really busy with lots of customers. Another example of sleepy Perth and not being prepared to 'make hay while the sun shines' - the Perth Festival has lot of patrons. Surely they could keep their staff on for an extra hour during the month of the Festival? Unfortunately, we won't be back. And we live locally.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Aust_mum

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Alice Springs, Australia
“Disapointing”
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Before booking into this restaurant, we checked out their website. The restaurant and food comes across as being a bit upper class and trendy. Pricing (not cheap) sort of indicates the same.
Sadly, the actual ambiance of the restaurant doesn't reflect this. It all looks very ordinary and I guess we've been mislead by their website and by other guest reviews.

The wine selection is pretty good (to our taste at least) and we've been very pleased to see some Riesling from Skillogalee Vineyards for a very good price for a restaurant.

As for the food, some dishes are more traditional Japanese, some a more Japanese fusion and sometimes this just doesn't work. For example, the sashimi with truffle oil is a bit of a missed. Sashimi is very delicate and truffle oil incredibly flavoursome. The truffle oil just overwhelmed the freshness of sashimi. The pork belly, on the other hand was an absolute cracker and we could have licked the bowl ... and we actually did ... when nobody was looking at us ;-)

After that, we ordered desserts. Here again, we think they're trying to hard with japanese fusion food. My partner ordered the back sesame ice cream with matcha agar and caramel sauce. All 3 components we good, but the caramel just didn't match with the other 2.
As for me, I ordered the chestnut dessert and got instead the daily special azuki strawberry milk jelly topped with azuki bean cream and green tee ice cream. I asked the waitress for replacement, as it was not the one I ordered and she said that the chestnut one was sold out and that the dessert of the day was the same price anyway (!). Debatable practice but I had a go at that dessert. And again, the fusion just doesn't match.

• Visited August 2011
Perth, Australia
“Light and well balanced flavours.”
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Went here last night with a friend and had a lovely meal - the pork belly was particulary good -melt in your mouth tender with a lovely broth. The silken tofu was in a very light batter and was a good accompaniment to the pork. The meals came very promptly and the service was good. My only complaint was that we were shuffled out of the restaurant at about 9.20pm. It was subtle but when they start packing up furniture you get the hint it is time to go home. Definitely no late nights at this restaurant during the week...

• Visited July 2011
Melbourne
“Good, Authentic Japanese”
Reviewed June 30, 2011

My last experience eating Japanese in Perth six years ago was woeful, so I was relieved to have found a better restaurant this time around! The restaurant has indoor, outdoor and bar seating options. The service was prompt (until it was time to pay and leave, but only because it was busy). The food was balanced, fresh and light and well done. The miso and udon soup were very good. Although the eel and scallop sushi weren't as successful, the sashimi salad was generously proportioned and good quality. The tempura batter was light and crisp and the soft shell crab was a highlight. It seemed to be popular with the locals and seemed to be quite authentic. I'd be happy to revisit this restaurant if I lived in Perth.

• Visited June 2011
New York City, New York
“Great dinner”
Reviewed February 5, 2010

My father, sister and I went to Satsuki for dinner during our vacation in Australia. The staff was professional and pleasant, and the food was consistently great. I highly recommend the Sushi Satsuki degustation, though it was all good! It was also reasonably priced, which is an added bonus.