“Wonderful”

Tuki Trout Farm
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Smeaton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Tuki offers trout fishing daily and you can have your catch cooked in our rustic restaurant. The menu features our home grown produce and the wine list features regional wine. A great day out for all the family.
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

We had dinner at Tuki Trout Farm as part of the Harvest Festival. We had a wonderful time. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, we were treated warmly and with a smile. Everyone was accommodating. We started with catching trout for a dinner, using corn as bait, with the trout quickly grabbing hold. Even our four year old caught one. From there, we went on a quick tour to feed the horses, the young trout and put the chooks away before heading in for dinner.

Inside, we were greeted by a blazing open fire as the centerpiece of the room. With the staff chatting to you, the owners and family happy to talk, it created a really warm atmosphere and one that nobody left in a hurry. There was a massive amount of food, quite frankly they could ask for more money for what was served. All delicious.

It is a working farm and the family are very proud of it, as they should be. Don't expect pretentious city service here, this is a family who are sharing their home grown food with you on their own property. Far better than anything else in my opinion.

Thank you for welcoming us to your property, we look forward to returning soon.

1  Thank Rebecca C

Reviewed May 5, 2013

How many of you put your name, face, home, food, job personality out there to be judged publicly??
Here you have a fantastic family running a farm that they have had for many years. They opened up their doors and my family walked in for an experience we'll never forget and more than likely to revisit.
We caught a trout, walked through a small part and saw a couple of horses, the trout ponds and the chook shed. We followed the owner around for about 10-15 minutes while he explained some of the processes and some of life on his farm. Very polite bloke with a love for his property.
We walked back inside where pate' and crackers were served to our table and the drink order placed as soon as we walked in. Polite service from start to finish. Cannot fault anyone from the guys that cleaned the trout to the people serving and collecting our plates.
Lamb sausages, slow cooked lamb, beef, salad, vegies, warm fresh bread with butter that made our mouths water and a fire place inside that made us almost forget how cold it was out in the carpark.
The personal touch by the owner who carried the lamb he prepared 12 hours before to each table and serve it himself, his son only minutes later doing the same with the most tender beef I've ever had. Lady serving drinks was polite, friendly and never gave me a single impression that my requests were causing her grief.

I'll end with this.

Some of the reviews I've read about this place are disgraceful. This is a fantastic experience and if you go to one working farm in your life for dinner make it Tuki Trout Farm.

$40.00 per head adults
$20.00 per head children
Drinks were priced very well and we walked out feeling like we'd just been fed a wholesome meal fit for a king.

Don't leave a bad review for a place that doesn't deserve it. Be fair and don't have ridiculous expectations.

10/10 for every catergory

Well done guys. Table 6 sat 4th march.
Great apple cider too!!

2  Thank TravellingSparkiesOZ
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We initially decided to visit Tuki for a spot of fishing with our OS guests due to having some Entertainmnet vouchers, WRONG MOVE! we should have gone back to a lovely trout farm in Marysville where the service was warm & accomodating, not here at Tuki, we were ignored, snapped at & made to feel very unwelcome, I am so sorry I suggested to even go to this place, people with bad attitudes should not be in customer service, very dissapointed and would never return!

4  Thank dallasowen
Reviewed December 22, 2012

The drive there was rather tricky and at one point was wondering if it will be worth it. But we got there in one piece, although my little car was looking a little worse for wear.

I have only one previous experience of trout fishing as a child, and I didn't catch anything all day. So I was not exactly confident going in. We started slow, with nothing but a few yabbies on the end of our lines. So eventually we went to the pond that was said to be the fullest, and still not much luck. Eventually a lovely gentleman came along and showed me what I needed to do, and not long after that I managed my first catch! It was an exciting moment for me.

Things slow down a bit and we were a little nonplussed as the little kids and their parents caught their dinner (4 trouts). However, when they left we started having more luck... Well, I started to have some luck.

The staff was friendly and fun. They cleaned the fish for us and even gave us some ice to pack them in for the drive back to Melbourne.

And now, I am looking forward to my trout dinner tonight!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Fabulous day out with the family (we were actually staying there as well)... everyone caught something and it never took long. Great for kids who don't have much patience when it comes to fishing!! Staff very quickly took care of the fish and it was easy to either have them cooked for your lunch or to take home.