“okay for the price”

Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Ko Mak
Berlin, Germany
“okay for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

For young folks it's a very good and cheap resort,
but you should'nt expect too much of the resort.

Top location many food spots just outside the resort and a small store with all that you could need on the island.
I recommend KON GIN SEN Restaurant and the very friendly family owning the fruitshop & restaurant ESAN (my absolute favourite :)

Many people were complaining about the beds, but my wife & I slept very well on the hard & comfortable mattress.

The manager himself droped us of at the pier, and arranged us the speedboat.

Room Tip: Try getting a room, FAR FAR away from the bar and the club you might sleep better as we did ;)
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SayX

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

My friends booked this Resort and it was fantastic service from the moment we arrived. The ferry from mainland was smooth. Food is delicious and fresh and ample supply. The rooms were very clean and tidied daily. I can only say this is a wonderful place to stay!! I miss you all so much!! Thank you.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

We intended to stay just for a couple of nights.. and ended up staying 6 ! That says it all really. Monkey Island is a wonderful peaceful place to stay. The staff can't help you enough, and the food was wonderful. We stayed in two different huts, first a basic hut with fan and bathroom, that was more than adequate, with a great terrace with deckchairs and hammock, and then a more expensive hut with aircon and bigger bathroom with breakfast included. Funky music, and and peaceful vibe make this a great place to stay. You can also hire mopeds and go on a snorkeling trip. I cannot recommend it enough and can't wait to return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ZoeBasel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

I've been to Koh Mak many many times, and Monkey is one of many resorts I wish to stay but I was so disappointed. Unbelievable!!!! there is no bottle of water in the room. All staff don't have any sense of service mind, NOT EVEN ONE!!!!! Overall, resort surrounding is good, peaceful. Monkey bar is fantastic. BUT service is terrible, should be IMPROVED.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Jill Pattralee M

Travelers are raving about these Ko Mak hotels

london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from 3 days staying at monkey island, koh mak and we would 100% recommend both Monkey island and koh mak.
Ao kao beach is stunning, the monkey island accommodation is simple (no hot water) but clean, airy and very comfortable and the gardens around the bungalows are gorgeous.
We stayed in C4 it had a sea view and was the last on the block so nice and quiet, it has a double mattress (not 2 singles joined) a mozzy net, soft blankets and en suite bathroom, no air con just fan but in December the air is cool so we did not even use the fan, the room is 800 baht a night (£16) which seemed very reasonable for how nice it was.
The food was great esp the seafood BBQ, and there are other hotels as you walk in either direction along the beach so you can have some variety. Although there are other resorts on the beach they are all small and very much beach bungalows no high rises or party bars, not a Mekong bucket in sight!
After three days I have 3 itchy bites they could be mozzy or sandflies, which is what I would expect from any island in Thailand, I wore insect repellant the whole time as I was worried by what people had posted about koh mak and koh chang (I was expecting swarms and to be constantly bitten!) I didn't even see a sandfly, I noticed they rake the beach which could be helping
I spent ages deliberating about going to koh mak, i thought it would be best to stick to tried and tested islands in the south of Thailand but i'm very happy we gave it a look, we will definitely return to monkey island next time we are in Thailand

• Stayed December 2013
Cornwall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here 2 years ago and enjoyed our stay so decided to come back.
This time we chose a Gorilla Hut well worth the extra money, fabulous position on the beachfront and very peaceful. The hut is a good size with a large shower room with hot water. The day bed outside is great to chill out on for lazy afternoons watching the sea and sunsets.
The staff are all really friendly and willing to help with anything you need.
The beach and swimming is super and quiet not too many people around making Monkey Island a great place to relax and unwind.
Just a few steps out of the resort and there are plenty of restaurants and bars, although the food here was also great.
I am sure we will come back to Koh Mak sometime and will definitely be looking to stay here.

• Stayed December 2013
East Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed in low (rainy) season so it was very quiet at Monkey Island (and the whole of Koh Mak) - there were only a handful of us staying there. Be aware if you go in low season that a lot of places are shut - there was not a lot of choice of restaurants and dive shops etc were closed.

Because it was low season I got a great deal on one of the baboon huts (fan and shared bathroom). The bar and restaurant were only open until 8pm and there was no live entertainment or music playing until late, which, as I was there to relax suited me fine.

The staff were friendly and attentive, and the food in the restaurant was good. The resort is right on the beach and the island is really easy to get around - I walked to most places but you can hire bikes too. The guys at Monkey Island picked me up and dropped me off at the pier which was really handy.

I can imagine this being a really fun place to stay when it is high season, and very popular as it is on one of the best beaches in the island. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo