“Nice little place to stay”

Monkey Island Resort
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Ko Mak
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed in low (rainy) season so it was very quiet at Monkey Island (and the whole of Koh Mak) - there were only a handful of us staying there. Be aware if you go in low season that a lot of places are shut - there was not a lot of choice of restaurants and dive shops etc were closed.

Because it was low season I got a great deal on one of the baboon huts (fan and shared bathroom). The bar and restaurant were only open until 8pm and there was no live entertainment or music playing until late, which, as I was there to relax suited me fine.

The staff were friendly and attentive, and the food in the restaurant was good. The resort is right on the beach and the island is really easy to get around - I walked to most places but you can hire bikes too. The guys at Monkey Island picked me up and dropped me off at the pier which was really handy.

I can imagine this being a really fun place to stay when it is high season, and very popular as it is on one of the best beaches in the island. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank chariot

Reviewed April 22, 2013

The beach at this resort is one of the best on the island. I rented a bike and travelled the entire island over and over again, (its easily done many times in one day). The restaurant food is pretty good especially when they have a BBQ on an evening. It is a nice place.

The staff need to learn to smile though! A smile can go a long way. The beach huts are average for this price range; complete with a bed, shower toilet etc. If you are a beach lover then I recommend staying here, but if you need comfort and good quality sleep then I recommend a resort further east or west, mainly because the huts aren't air-conditioned and they seem to think its a good idea to blast out loud music until 2am at the bar, which can be heard on nearly every other resort on the entire island! Crazy!

There is a kids pool but it's small and therefore not really for anyone over the age of about 10.

Its important to understand that the main reason I score this as 4/5 is because this beach (in my opinion) is amongst the most beautiful, of the many beaches and resorts I've visited or stayed at on Ko Mak. The most expensive resorts on this island don't necessarily have the most attractive beaches.

Room Tip: buy ear plugs!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steve F
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was my second stay at Monkey. The first was in November 2012. The staff are friendly, the location is my favourite on the beach PLUS they have their own dive school. Unbeatable value. I'll be back for sure.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank khyphena
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Great location and restaurant/facilities. Staff could do with cheering up a bit! 600B for fan room, was alright but there are cheaper rooms in other resorts. Very noisy at night, the island's night bar was right outside our hut which we discovered when trying to get an early night after being poorly! Stay elsewhere and socialise/dine here.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

We had simpanzee hut. Pillows hard as rock but otherwise okay. Been in better places with same money but maybe Koh Mak is more expensive. Fan, cold shower, mosquito net, free wifi, small terrace with hammock and sea view. Friendly staff.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Hannaus
Reviewed October 9, 2012

You get what you pay for...and sometimes even more :-) Micky is the perfect artist, musician, beach boy and entertainer to run this place very well and make your stay there a special one!
If you are out for social life his nearby Monkey Bar is the perfect spot to meet other people or just jam with him and his band. The restaurant is nice decorated and the beach invites for sunset walks and relaxing. Worth a stay for sure!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JungleTom05
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The only disappointing thing about my stay at Monkey Island was that I couldn’t stay longer. While still on Koh Chang I called Monkey Island 5-days in a row, during high season, until I could get a room. Once I arrived the place exceeded my expectations and I didn’t want to leave.
The first night I stayed in a Chimpanzee hut, with the ocean just 20 yards from my front porch. My room was spotless and charming. It included a comfortable bed with mosquito net, an airy, private outdoor bathroom, and a front deck with 2 hammocks & 2 sling-backed chairs. However, since I am a light sleeper, I moved to another room, farther away from the Monkey Bar.
The rest of the week I stayed in a Gorilla hut. These spacious rooms have floor-to-ceiling windows on two sides, evoking a sense of room-to-ocean transition. The room includes a giant comfortable bed, mosquito net, air conditioning, and an indoor, large tile bathroom. Outside is an enormous veranda with comfy deck chairs and hammocks. The ocean is 40 yards away during low tide, but cozies up just 15 yards from your deck during high tide.
Meals were consistently good. I especially enjoyed the evening barbecue that included a selection of fresh fish, chicken, steak and whole potatoes.
The grounds are charming and well maintained. Mickey has set up an impressive aquaponics garden to grow fresh veg. The kiddie pool is adequate for taking cooling plunges in. Each day the beach is meticulously maintained by staff. The onsite massage is very high quality – especially the very chilling aloe massage and the expert Thai massage.
The main dining room is decorated so groovy, complete with cozy benches and hanging chairs. Each evening a super nice young man performs cover songs, while later in the evening the entertainment switches over to a reggae vibe at the hip Monkey Bar.
I was able to pick-up Wi-Fi from the veranda of both of the rooms I stayed in. There was no problem with biting flies at their beach. The ocean is shallow and calm – just watch out for the spiny sea urchins lurking on the ocean floor.
Mickey and his family and friends run a great, friendly, chillaxed establishment.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo