eDreams
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed October 9, 2012

You get what you pay for...and sometimes even more :-) Micky is the perfect artist, musician, beach boy and entertainer to run this place very well and make your stay there a special one!
If you are out for social life his nearby Monkey Bar is the perfect spot to meet other people or just jam with him and his band. The restaurant is nice decorated and the beach invites for sunset walks and relaxing. Worth a stay for sure!

Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank jungletom05
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The only disappointing thing about my stay at Monkey Island was that I couldn’t stay longer. While still on Koh Chang I called Monkey Island 5-days in a row, during high season, until I could get a room. Once I arrived the place exceeded my expectations and I didn’t want to leave.
The first night I stayed in a Chimpanzee hut, with the ocean just 20 yards from my front porch. My room was spotless and charming. It included a comfortable bed with mosquito net, an airy, private outdoor bathroom, and a front deck with 2 hammocks & 2 sling-backed chairs. However, since I am a light sleeper, I moved to another room, farther away from the Monkey Bar.
The rest of the week I stayed in a Gorilla hut. These spacious rooms have floor-to-ceiling windows on two sides, evoking a sense of room-to-ocean transition. The room includes a giant comfortable bed, mosquito net, air conditioning, and an indoor, large tile bathroom. Outside is an enormous veranda with comfy deck chairs and hammocks. The ocean is 40 yards away during low tide, but cozies up just 15 yards from your deck during high tide.
Meals were consistently good. I especially enjoyed the evening barbecue that included a selection of fresh fish, chicken, steak and whole potatoes.
The grounds are charming and well maintained. Mickey has set up an impressive aquaponics garden to grow fresh veg. The kiddie pool is adequate for taking cooling plunges in. Each day the beach is meticulously maintained by staff. The onsite massage is very high quality – especially the very chilling aloe massage and the expert Thai massage.
The main dining room is decorated so groovy, complete with cozy benches and hanging chairs. Each evening a super nice young man performs cover songs, while later in the evening the entertainment switches over to a reggae vibe at the hip Monkey Bar.
I was able to pick-up Wi-Fi from the veranda of both of the rooms I stayed in. There was no problem with biting flies at their beach. The ocean is shallow and calm – just watch out for the spiny sea urchins lurking on the ocean floor.
Mickey and his family and friends run a great, friendly, chillaxed establishment.

Date of stay: January 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
6  Thank la_viajeraSeattle
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed in a B600 small bungalow with fan and attached bathroom. Bigger and newer AC bungalows also available for B1700.

Pros: Free wifi and 2 laptops for guests to use for free; great music in the main restaurant and bar; good location on the beach and near one of the piers.

Cons: The cheaper bungalows are very small and dark and poor value at B600; the double bed was covered by a mosquito net full of holes which was designed for a single bed making proper sleep very difficult for a couple on this island infested with biting insects; live music at night is a bit noisy in the rooms

Overall: Better to stay somewhere else (Koh Mak Cottage next door had better bungalows at B500) and come to Monkey to socialise if on a budget.

Date of stay: March 2012
3  Thank John S
Reviewed March 21, 2012

It is hard to say if you have to go or not. What are you looking for? Our family are travelling to places there are not charter hotels. For better or worse.

This was a really original resort. It had monkey figurines.. plastic.. every where, they had a truck painted with monkeys and they had a couple of guests with rasta hair playing guitars. We love to meet different people from different culturs, so this was the right place for us for a couple of days. The beach was nice and clean. The water was a bit turbid, but all in all we loved to stay here. The kids (age 13, 15 and 9 years old) would love to go back.

It is a pool at this resort... Eeehh, do not think about using it. It is a little kids pool and not so clean either.

The rooms was ok, but nothing more. The terrace was big and had a hammock, it was nice to sit outside in the evening.

The staff who was serving breakfast was not very talkaktive and they did not smile to often.

If you take it as it is, go there. If you prefer order and luxury - stay away!

Date of stay: March 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Anne40Oslo
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Stayed at Monkey island resort in feb 2012. Booked a cheap Chimpanzee hut with fan. The bungalow is very basic, one bedroom with a bed and a desk (no chair), no cupboards or storage place. Own bathroom w shower (cold/semi warm water only). Mosquito net around bed. The bed was hard to sleep on, and quite narrow, two normal sized (not fat) people were a bit squeezed in. The room got hot during the night. But anyway, it was worth the money. There are huts with A/C avalaible, so if you prefer sleeping in cool air choose one of those.

The resort itself is nice, and the staff very friendly and helpful. There´s free wlan in the reception area. Breakfast was tasty (not included in room rate). Beautiful resort beach!

Only real complaint was the noice from the bar. There was a live band playing on several nights, and the volume was really high. I was wearing ear plugs, but still had a hard time trying to get some sleep beacuse of the music. So don´t choose this resort if you want to go to bed early at night :)

Date of stay: February 2012