Monkey Island Resort
$70
  • Breakfast included
Good Time Resort Koh Mak(Ko Mak)(Great Value!)
$45
$26
Bamboo Hideaway(Ko Mak)(Great Value!)
$18
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
$50
Agoda.com
Ao Kao White Sand Beach Resort(Ko Mak)(Great Value!)
$38
$33
Holiday Beach Resort(Ko Mak)(Great Value!)
$29
  • Beachfront
$85
$77
All reviewsshared bathroomprices are reasonableenjoyed our staymonkeyshutsislandbeachchillbackpackersvibereggaesunsetbitepickupluxurytransport
Reviewed February 18, 2011

I loved it.
When I read some of the different recensions I feel sad,for the ones which class down this place.The time I was there I couldn´t see it was dirty and rubbish around or on the beach,not even on the way to the bar or around the huts or anywhere.And I am sensitive when it´s like that ...so I cant say I´ve missed to see it if it been any.

Wonderful fantastic people who did the best for to serve me...even if I also forgot to pay sometimes(ha ha) because I felt so relaxed so I only dropped away.(no meaning of course to miss it,turned back to pay and forgot to say about pay beacause we start to speak about something else.Forget me No and Nan...it was fixed anyway.
I shared toilet,shower,it was no problem at al,it was clean,hot water,the first hot,since 2 weeks travelling,, in different places in Cambodja and Vietnam, in kind of better standard "hotels".
Nice people,friendly.,fantastic live-music in the evenings...Thanks everyone frm the cleaningstaff,kitchen,waiters,reception,musicans and owner Mickey,and them I miss...to write.
I´m so happy for the time...and if i didn´t have liked it I haven´t come back after 2 weeks
(without to get in love in a person) but in the place and people and happenings...
And I wish it will not be a to crowded place.I will still have the peace there...
All this depends what you want to have.
Do you want to have a 25m. swimmingpool close to the sea,a hug og high discomusic,standard 100% new hotels,,PLEASE go somwhere else,you dont fit here.
Åsa

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fritzon
Reviewed January 20, 2011

This place is what Thailand is about, relaxed and friendly. Great food, excellent people and atmosphere. The resort is spread out so if you want to live in a quiet part it's possible and if you want more of a party that is also possible. So as for us that wanted a little bit of bout it was perfect. The house band plays most nights and are superb! Go here and enjoy life to the fullest. Will come again!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2010

Not impressed at all, after backpacking and occasionally flash packing in South East Asia for over 20 years I was fairly disappointed with Monkey Island, the beach location is great, the rest is a collection of bizarrely spread bungalows and several amounts of rubbish piled here and there. There is nothing wrong with the place if you have to spend a night or two, but try elsewhere first. Apart from the manager the rest of the staff don't really seem to care too much - the Thai hospitality factor is kind of lost and the prices are above average. The clientele is fairly mixed and the vibe is 'be happy' but somehow it does not materialise... the reggae bar nevertheless is worth a visit at night.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Adventure365
Reviewed November 8, 2010

I personally like to stay cheap when i backpack, but even more important for me is "to get what I pay for"
And I absolutley dont think i got what i paid for on Monkey island resort., for the same price I have stayed 10 times better in Asia.
That is sad because I think the staff was very friendly and invited me and my boyfriend to the bar in the evenings when their band was playing. So if you are that kind of person that dont mind paying a little bit more for bad maintenance and a friendly atmosphere your in the right place!
But then you have to be prepared for centipedes falling down from the ceiling and land on your mosqutio net when your in your bed!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Monkey Island is the best location, directly on the beach and near shops which is quite important as there is nothing on Koh Mak except beach and sea. Breakfast is dismal and without any choice and as the resort is unably to offer the remaining daily meals in any meaningful way it is important to have other options nearby. Monkey Island has been described as a place frequented by Thai families. During our visit you would fall more naturally into the general atmosphere if, as a man, you had a ponytail or dreadlocks and tattoos all over. Evening parties once or twice a week are likely to keep you awake whan you want to sleep. For the visitor, who sees a friendly Thai welcome and ambience as one of the reasons for coming, it should be of much greater concern that the Chinese-Thai lady manager runs the place like a military camp, to the clear chagrain of the overseas guests.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple