“A blessing in disguise”

Little Moon Villa Resort
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Ko Mak
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Being able to stay at Little Moon was a true blessing in disguise. The kind hospitality we had received from the staff after an unpleasant experience with the resort we had initially booked was very memorable.

The villa we stayed in was pleasing, comfortable and generally clean, apart from a few (but bearable) flies occasionally.The most memorable aspect of our room was the welcoming aroma of the essential oil that permeated the room that left us wanting to bring some bottles back home with us. The concrete-floored toilet and shower was more functional than pretty as compared to the bedroom, it would have been better if there were some flooring and more lighting. Other than having no television, all other creature comforts like air-conditioning, comfortable beds, hair dryer and WiFi were available.

Their restaurant area was mainly decorated with ocean-inspired pieces drawn by an artist, Kittinun, who was living there and helping out with the running of the villa. The Thai food served at their restaurant was delicious and presentable, not exactly the cheapest but definitely affordable and well-worth the money. The villa has a system of paying all your expenses (e.g. food eaten at the restaurant, island hopping trips) only at the end of the trip in a total bill which made things more fuss-free. I fondly recall the times enjoying the food with the view of the field and beach in front of us. If you are not staying with Little Moon, please do just come for the food, especially the green curry with shrimp and the squid with salted egg! It was the low season when we visited so we ended up having all our meals at the restaurant and also chilled out there at night to the cool breeze and some ambient music. Nothing loud nor fanciful at night, but you will still be able to get your beers, breezes and some snacks!

What made our stay the most unforgettable were the people and of course the resident doggies, Soda and Tofu, who would come laze under our chairs and play with us! Communication and interactions were not a problem as Kittinun spoke fluent English while the rest of their staff touched us in less verbal ways like their attentiveness, helpfulness and friendliness. Our friends had some injuries from snorkeling (Kittinun arranged this for us too and took care of us throughout the entire snorkelling trip) and they all rushed to attend to us with their wealth of local remedies. It was a pleasure also to get to know Kittinun and to hear him share about his life, his ideas and his passion for art and nature, truly inspiring person who yet is humble and genuine in so many ways.

Verdict: If you don't mind the isolated-ness and remoteness of the resort (could be said to be in a jungle), you'll find yourself in a secluded and quiet paradise, taken care of by some very kind and friendly people:) Thank you again to the people at Little Moon Villa for the experience, my friends and I miss those times a lot!

p.s. If you love tranquil moments, take a walk along the beach at sunset and go further till the rocks. It was a moment I'd never forget :)

Room Tip: Go for the beachfront rooms, I would if I could go back the second time ;)
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 21, 2013

A great pleasure. Lovely resort, lovely & friendly staff, deliciousThai food at the restaurant. If you need a rest, forget everything for few days, be in peace and stay in a nice & quiet place, this resort is perfect. Especially the people on the island are really friendly. Recommendable!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank moddy3333
Reviewed April 14, 2013

What a wonderful get away spot! This is the spot if you really want to relax and enjoy the beach. The beach is nice, and safe...you could walk out almost a km and still the water is up to your hips. The room are clean and lovely; the staff are also friendly. This resort is a bit isolated, there are nothing around...like stores or even another resort which is a plus. You could rent a motorbike from little moon and explore the island on your own. The resort has a kayak that you could use for FREE! I did some squid fishing while kayaking. Awesome! Must try! You could give your catch to the kitchen and they will cook it for you. Their food is great too! I had a wonderfully time and will be back. I highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Up grade to half-moon villa...Great beach view!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Riki-oh L
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in this little piece of paradise. The resort is located on the very quiet and remote east side - Little Moon is quite isolated but it was just perfect to relax and unwind at the start of our two week trip to Thailand. The staff are truly amazing, attentive and polite, nothing seems to be too much trouble. They are also very organised, taking your breakfast order the night before.

We had a half moon villa, we just loved the rustic style with simple interior, the air con worked very well and was not too loud which was a bonus especially as it was so hot at night. Shower was pretty powerful and hot. One of our favorite things was the balcony, just being able to sit out there, relax, read and watch the ocean.

The only slight downside (which more me would not be a deal breaker for me) is the beach, we did see a bit of rubbish and the sand is a red colour, however, we would highly recommend hiring one of the scooters for the day and exploring the island, the roads are so quiet and pretty good quality so we felt quite safe, and if you want to find a nicer beach for the day, you will find one within 10 mins drive.

The food was amazing, we eat at two other places on Koh Maak and we have to say the food we eat at Little Moon was the best and the cheapest.

Thank you to all the staff at little moon for making our stay so peaceful.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mimi_8016
Reviewed December 26, 2012

See the term "laidback" (or is it backlaid? :-), not Laibach) in any dictionary and you'll get a picture of this place. So yes, we did like our stay at this spot over Newton-mass 2012. The overall equipment is just slightly above average for this area, what makes it so special is it's quiet atmosphere and most importantly, it's staff. Everybody there was helpful, caring (so you are more than happy to neglect all tiny issues), but unintrusive. The puppy Soda (no, it's not cola-brown, it's white labrador) is just sweet. Free kayak rental, cheap motorbike and bicycle and perfect Wi-Fi quality is just cherry on the top. Please be careful when returning to Ko Chang, it will hit you as the loudest nightclub after this. Recommended.

Room Tip: We stayed in bungalow closest to the jungle and no drawback experienced.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CikorkaDesiato
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and me stayed 4 nights in this wonderfull resort.It's really special and unique. The bungalows are pretty and well designed and the private beach is so beautifull and we've shared it at least with another couple. The staff is excellent and helped us with everything around and gave us the feeling to be part of the Little Moon Villa family.They are so friendly, helpfull and sweet and made us feeling as comfortable as possible.I'm sure we will come back next time we'll stay in Thailand and when we had to leave we were sad.The means they cook are delicous and fresh. We tried a lot of different dishes and all of them were really tasty.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Barbara S
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

The resort is located in the northeast side of the island. It is far from the main tourist area and it is very remote, far from every city things. Yet, it is very peaceful, natural, and perfect for your hide away.

Call the hotel to confirm your reservation, and you will have everthing managed. After my confirmation, the resort manager called me and asked if I would like the resort to book a speed boat for me. That was really helpful and appreciated. But beyond my expectation, once I arrived at the pier, the boat company informed me that the fare was managed by the hotel, so I can pay all expenses once at my check-out. When I arrived at Koh Mak, a taxi driver was assigned to pick me up and transfer me to the hotel hassle-freely. What a great impression!

As mentioned earlier, the resort is far from the central area, it took me almost 20 minutes by car to the resort. The resort locates in a middle of jungle, next to the sea. It was very quiet and peaceful. What you can hear clearly at the resorts is only the voice of cicada. It makes everything perfect for your hide away from busy life.

The resort has its own red rough sandy beach, where you can enjoy clear water, kayak, and beautiful scenery of Koh Kood. The resort is also perfect for you to get up early, breathe in fresh air, and enjoy watching the sun rise over the Gulf of Thailand.

Breakfast at the resort is pre-ordered, not a buffet line. The resort offered like 6-7 sets of menus for you to select one. For me, that was reasonable considering wastes and cost of managing and transporting raw materials from the mainland. I am pro of this.

After the breakfast, you can consult with hotel staff for your activities. The hotel provided kayak and life vest for free of charge. Thai massage was available. I would like to tried a boat to the deer island, but I missed that as my friend decided to rent a bike to ride around the island, took a long tailed boat to Koh Kam, and go snorkering at surronding islands. (All programs were suggested by the hotel. And yes, we did not disappointed with any programs we chose.)

I once had a dinner at the hotel. The food were so delicious while the price was reasonable. For some other meals, I seeked advices from the staff, who were very helpful. And their advices worked well, so all my meals were very delicious and that made my trip so enjoyable.

I am certain that you want to get away from busy life and stay away from clubs and bars, Little Moon Villa shall be a great place for your vacation, where you can truly rest your mind and get relaxed.

• Stayed: November 2012