“Quiet Koh Mak retreat”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Ko Mak
London, United Kingdom
“Quiet Koh Mak retreat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed at Plubpla for two nights in January. This was the beginning of our trip to Koh Mak and Koh Chang. Overall, I think it was a great start to the holiday. First thing to note - Plubpla kindly picked us up from the Koh Mak Resort pier after our 45 min speedboat ride to the island. Do request a pick up as it makes everything a lot easier when you arrive. We originally booked the beach front villa with jacuzzi through bookings.com but later received an email from Plubpla to say it had already been booked.. we were disappointed but accepted the most "basic" room which was the superior sea view villa. The room was the furthest away from the beach, but it didn't really matter as we could still see the sea and we were close to the pool and bar/restaurant. The room was good, but it felt like there were a few things missing bearing in mind this is a five star resort. The decor was quite plain, there were no tea and coffee facilities, no phone (therefore no room service) and no welcome pack of any kind. Additionally there were gaps between the front door and windows but luckily we had no problem with mosquitos/bugs. The staff were very kind and helpful but there was sometimes a bit of a language barrier. We rented what we thought was a "car" to tour the island which ended up being a golf buggy! At first we were a little embarrassed but in the end we had a lot of fun driving around the island - there is a wonderful remote beach on the North East tip of the island - ask reception for a map of the island and ensure you visit! The pool area was great, we spent most of our time here and the beach was OK. We ate in the hotel restaurant both nights we were there and the food was good but perhaps not the most memorable. They do make a good Pina Colada and G&T though! All in all, we had a lovely relaxing stay here - a great introduction to the island. I would recommend the hotel but only for a few nights of R&R as it is quite far away from anything on the island.

Room Tip: Even the most basic room is good.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights at the Plubpla in January. Overall, I felt there was something missing for the price, but if you're after a spectacular setting and good modern facilities, then you'll be happy.

The rooms were good, but I felt certain things were lacking in a 4000bht a-night beachside bungalow - only 2 towels, no complementary sandals nor tea or coffee. There is a MASSIVE TV in the room which only shows local Thai channels and no DVD player. It left me wondering that if the Plubpla's main clientele are foreign tourists, what's the point in the huge TV?

The restaurant was 80% hit and 20% miss - loved the pancakes at breakfast, but certain cocktails tasted nothing like they should.

The reception staff were pleasant and spoke relatively good English. They were helpful except this one time - me and my wife wanted to visit Koh Mak Seafood, a very good local restaurant, and we asked front desk to book us a table. They refused!! Sure, they booked us a taxi and we later found out from islanders that the owners of Plubpla have a long personal feud with owners of 'Seafood'. We didn't know at the time, and were baffled with the refusal. And yet, this 'experience' was mixed with great service - e.g my wife needed cream for sunburn and they drove me all across the island looking for an elusive tube of aloe vera.

But despite the room omissions, the hit and miss service, I do feel bad about my complaints because the view from our beachfront bungalow was amazing, and pool is particularly impressive. The resort is a very attractive mix of natural beauty and modern design. Go if you want total relaxation...but don't expect perfection.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank ErinFlo
Northern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights in early January with our 2 children and we LOVED this resort. The rooms were great, the service was wonderful and the food was good. With only 18 bungalows the resort never felt crowded. We loved the beach and it was very clean since I saw staff raking it every morning. When the tide went our we loved searching the tide pools in the rocks just off the beach. We had planned on leaving the resort and exploring the island but once we got the resort and "checked out" we didn't see a need to leave. The food was great; it was really good and simple Thai food. A lot of times resorts try and fancy up the Thai food but this resort served very good traditional Thai food. Their tom yum soup (with coconut milk) was one of the best I have ever had. So glad we decided on Koh Mak instead of the madness of Koh Chang. Excellent service and I hope to be back soon!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Stockholm, Stockholms Län, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed 4 nights with my family at this beautiful resort. Very friendly staff and lovely bungalows. I got stomach sick after a restaurant visit in Koh Chang and the staff at Plubpla helped me to find a doctor and translated into Thai. They didn´t even except the tip I wanted to give them for driving me there. Lots to choose from the food menue but the food was variyng depending on chef for the day.

Positive that we could stay all in one room even thought the extra madrasses on the floor were quite expensive (1000 Baht per night for two madrasses).

The beach isn´t very big but its quite enough since you rather stay at the pool area which is very beatiful.

What surprised me was that there were some stuff that needed repairments but that nobody seemed to care about (like several wood pieces were missing on staires and terrasses and some paint in bath rooms had fallen off) but the area is very exotic and chic in general. Koh Mak in general isn´t an island to go to if you are looking for a lot of action - but if you are looking for piece and quite this is the place.

+ The Bungalows
+ Very clean
+ Helpful and very friendly staff
+ Beautiful area in general - very exotic
+ Never problem to find a sun bed
+ Good breakfast
+ Free water in bungalow minibar

- Should play lounge music instead of thai christmas songs
- Hard beds (but I realize all hotel beds in thailand seeams to be that way regardless standard)
- Satellite TV didn work when we were there. We could borrow a dvdplayer but they didnt have any movies to let.
- Expensive for extra beds

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Victor D
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

I found this hotel while searching on an internet reserch page. When I saw the pictures, wow, I did not hesitate a bit! So I booked a beach front with jaccuzi and for the other couple traveling with us I booked a sea view. Both rooms are identical but one has a jaccuzi in the front and its right on the beach... 2 meters from the water on high tide. As for the other sea view, its about 10 meters from the beach but also has a beautiful view of the sea. Comparable to the beach front view. There is one thousand and two hundred baht difference in price between both rooms. Honestly, next time (if theres a next time) I would book a sea view. Secondly, the breakfast is in my honest opinion, extreamly rinky dinky. Don't expect much here! You have been warned. As for the location, if your the type of person who likes to kick back next to the pool and read a book and only hear the noise of the small waves break on the shore, this is for you. If your a party animal, this is not a place for you and you should prefer the monkey resort which is better situated close to the somewhat city of the island. Do not rent a scooter from the Plubpla reception, as the staff will overcharge you one hundred baht a day more for the rental. Take a taxi and rent one close to the monkey resort. Expect a three hundred baht rental fee for 24 hours. In one day, you have had largly the time to go arround the island. So up to you if you wish to keep the scooter. Taxi cost about fifty baht one way per person. Food in the evening is ok but don't be in a rush as they are very slow! And lastly, YOU HAVE TO PAY YOUR ICE IN THE RESORT! This was the cherry on the cake. It's the first time in Thailand that I have to pay ice.

Room Tip: When you exit the Plubpla resort, turn right and stay to your left, pass the stop sign and follow th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed 3 nights in the low seasons there. But it was still awesome. We were picked up by the hotelmanager at the pier and got a great service during our whole stay. There was no breakfast buffet I guess because of the small amount of guest but you could order american, english, club sandwich, burger, muesli+fruits etc. and all in good nice and clean quality.
The rooms are clean and beautiful as shown on the pictures. We rent a motorbike and explored the whole island. After we had a look at nearly all resorts we thought we got definitely choose the best. It is very private, nice small clean beach, clean and well designed rooms, very nice garden and a extensive menu. I would only sleep there on Koh Mak!

TIP: From Coconana Resort with a small boat to KOH KHAM for 300 Baht. WHITE SAND ...perfect paradise

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andreas R
Arnhem, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights. It was so great to visit this quietly hidden paradise after 2 weeks bizzy Cambodia. Laidback atmosphere at the retreat. Great pool to swim in. Friendly helpfull staff & loved their food. We had a nice villa on the second row and very clean!

You can rent a scooter of Plubpla if you want to explore the island. White sand beach is nice to go.

I hope to visit this retreat again someday!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family