“Ferg”
Review of Koh Mak Resort

Koh Mak Resort
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Ko Mak
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Unfortunately we were here at the low season,at the time that not many guests were there.Positive for us is not too crowdy but the negative thing is not enough attention from the resort as should be the same standard.
Anyway we found that Koh Mak Resort is located in a very good area,quiet,service smile,good cook and the foods taste fantastic with great service in the restaurent that full of styling and warm regards.
we have anyway decided to book again for count-down celebration,unfortunately the resort is fully booked........therefore,we are looking forward to visit Koh Mak Resort again as soon as possible.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dominik f
There are newer reviews for Koh Mak Resort

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We have a standard bungalow right by the sea. Water in front of the hotel is so clear and excellent place to swim if you are not afraid of sea cucumbers as you can see them lying around through very clear water. Waves are much more tender compare to koh Chang. The resort has excellent restaurant. Beware of mosquitoes.

Room Tip: Sea front rooms are better.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank shwezinhs
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Our room is nicely design, and you can enjoy the ocean just lying on the bed, which is much better than our previous 2 bedroom- family standard room, which is old and the window are dirty.
I would be much happier if I can just enjoy the bathroom without worrying about being bitten by red ants, or other buds.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Again, one of the sadder places I have been to, reminiscence of her former glory. Located on the North Western beach of Koh Mak and almost occupying it all, this resort is made up of 50 or so villas which had seen better days. From the multitude groups of villa designs and the dwindling stage in which different of them were at, one could only deduce that the resort was build in many phases with maintenance seriously overlooked. There are many amenities that have ceased operations and were just left there in a depressing state of negligence. At the same time, construction was going on for a few new units upcoming and somehow, it all just looked like city planning gone wrong. I had the Jacuzzi villa, but when it was filled and I turned on the jets, all sorts of debris shot out from the system and I had to drain and refill the tub. It had not been occupied for some time and I guess the jet holes are home to insects and whatever they could drag in to make a home out of it. I must have obliterated them all to heaven. And when I do take the shower, the ground floor rained. The room is in fact pleasant to the eye, but aging had caught on. I was smoking out the deck chairs up on the first floor below the halogen lamp enjoying the evening twilight. When my girlfriend turned the outdoor lights on, it exploded with a loud thundering crack followed by an angry hiss accompanied by sparks and a small fire. Instinctively, I launched into the air away from the detonation but was fortunate enough not to have flown off the un-barricaded first floor which offered a free view of tress and the distance islands.

Mornings, how I wished they have in room coffee, the hot water pot and the instant morning coffee was missing from my expectations. The lonely breeze from the sea on first light blended with my cigarette smoke was just missing that essential aroma of the addictive beans. Breakfast, it was terrible, just too basic for taste but the friendly number of understaffed employees tried their best to make it pleasant. Contrastingly, lunch and dinner was fantastically delectable. The limited number of cooks do concoct out wonderful Thai dishes better than many places I have been to, for a very reasonable price tag too. I looked on at the Caucasians, feasting on burgers and fries, they just don’t know what they are missing. Its real Thai cuisines Koh Mak Resort has to offer.

There just ain’t nothing to do there for leisure. The North Westerly was blowing up rough seas and the waters churned in August. The waters sorrowfully devoid of her clarity. Take a short boat ride to the renowned Koh Kham opposite the bay for white sandy beaches. The sight of the island and her gleaming white shoreline visible from Koh Mak Resort so inviting. But when landed again my anticipation for a good swim was miserably doused. For some reasons, there was something seriously wrong with the environment. There was what seemed to be the onset of red tide, I saw dead fishes. So one could only sunbath in the midst of all the unexpected construction going on there and buy drinks from the only store there offering nothing but drinks. Bring your own meals if you are staying over lunch.

Back to Koh Mak and to kill boredom, the resort do offer scooter rentals for one to venture the island. Take a dip in the resort’s infinity pool one could, but since the waters were murky, I did not. I know there are a lot of bad things going on there but the privacy and seclusion of the resort is really something to look forward. No crowds, the peace, the sound of waves. The stroll by the long beach in radiant sunset was breathtakingly awesome but watch where you step. Rusty nails pointing up on broken planks on some spots so avoid them at all cost especially after dark. Still, with all my warnings written, I did enjoy my stay there to a certain extent, best part was basking in dusk light in the open bubbly Jacuzzi watching the sun go down. A well planned renovation will make this resort a really great prefect gem of a place to stay.

Room Tip: It’s nice, but don’t expect too much for now. Also, choose the right season to go if you want good w...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kings L
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed here in april for 4 nights in a luxury beachfront bungalow and this place was amazing.
The bungalow was cleaned and fresh towels everyday,air-con spot on as it was so hot outside.
We was right on the beach as it said and the bungalows are not right next to eachother so you have your own space.
Koh mak is a really quiet island that can be reached by boat from Bang Boa Koh Chang some days there were only the 2 of us on the beach which is by far one of the best beaches we visited.
Would recommened hiring a kayak and going over to koh kalm you have to pay a small fee to visit this island but its breathtaking.
We cant wait to go back next year.

Room Tip: Luxury beachfront bungalow
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2012

The property is on the beach and on the main beach of the island. All restaurants and convenient stores are located closeby including currency exchange point(the only one of the island). However the problem with the resort is that the beach is the public beach and is always crowded. If you are going to the island for a peaceful getaway then i would not recommend this place.
The bathroom of the hut were semi-outdoor with tinned roof and had a lot of mosquitoes.
However the positive points of the property is that all ocean sport gears are available here and can be rented at a nominal cost. Kayaks,Snorkell kuts etc.
Overall an alright place but not for relaxing.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded June 30, 2012

Dear Arif,
Greeting from Koh Mak Resort :)
We're located at Ao Suan Yai beach it's not main beach of Koh Mak because on this beach only Koh Mak Resort and another 1 small resort name Suchanaree resort.
Our private beach is 1,500 meters long and we have only 40 bungalows spread out along the beach. So only 1-2 times a year that maybe crowded and we don't have any ocean sport gears. I'm afraid that you maybe misunderstand us with another resort you have stayed.
Also Koh Mak Resort is locate on KOH MAK not KOH KOOD as in trip adviser. We try to contact them to change this for us. So it will not make more travelers misunderstand.
Finally, if you really stayed with us ,we apologize for our excuse and thank you for your review.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

My family and I stay in 2 stories bangalow. It's very nice. The room is spacious with large window. The beach is beautiful and peaceful. Their staffs are nice and friendly. We have a very good time there, such a relaxing place.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
#3 of 14 in Ko Kut
Koh Mak Cococape Resort
Koh Mak Cococape Resort
#11 of 15 in Ko Mak

Been to Koh Mak Resort? Share your experiences!