3,165 results
All reviewsthai restaurantobelisk restaurantmain buildinginfinity pooldead seajunior suitebeautiful hotelkids clubmini bargolf cartpool staffbreakfast buffet isprivate beachguest relationssoft drinksspecial thanksivan
Reviewed April 5, 2010

This is a hotel that pays very serious attention to detail from the minute you arrive (hot towel and cool drink) to the minute you leave (bottle of water). Beautiful position and breaky selection just about as good as you will get.

2  Thank JandJCanberra
Reviewed April 5, 2010

This relatively new hotel is built on an epic scale. The main lobby is probably longer than the street I live in and there are flower arrangements that would be too tall for my living room. Don't stay here if you are a fan of small personal style hotels but if you are up for a bit of luxury and don't mind staying in a massive complex (you are provided with a map on arrival and may find that you take the odd trip round the place in one of the readily available golf carts) then the Kempinski Ishtar is well worth a stay. Facilities are fabulous - a private beach with access to the Dead Sea - and a large number of swimming pools of various shapes and sizes. There are a number of restaurants and bars - the ones we tried were very good. The buffet breakfast offered a huge variety of food. The room service menu was also good and food came beautifully served with a vase containing a spray of fresh flowers. Service is excellent - someone even insisted on carrying our towels when we moved from one swimming pool to another. We had booked an Ishtar Superior Room in the resort area rather than the Superior Room in the main building. The upgrade meant we were much closer to the pools and the Dead Sea which meant lovely views from the balcony. I though the overall landscaping including lots of plants and flowers and water features was lovely - and just as beautiful with the clever lighting at night. The hotel is handy for visiting the Baptism Site at Bethany (about 20 minutes away) but apart from that very worthwhile trip you might just want to stay on the resort and relax using the facilities including the spa which we didn't have time to check out. This hotel is not a cheap option - food and drink are pricey - although remarkably the hotel gift shop compared very favourably with local shops - but if you want to push the boat out for a relaxing couple of days after touring Jordan or for a special occasion you might want to give it a try. At only 40 minutes from Amman airport we are considering a return visit for a short break when we feel in need of some idle luxury.

• Stayed: March 2010
2  Thank Pixie_dot
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Well, having stayed at the Kempinski, Amman which we thought was excellent and having been told the Kempinski Ishtar was 'the best' we were sadly disappointed and have to disgaree with many of the reviews. We have travelled to many countries and many 4 & 5 star hotels, but this resort delivers style rather than substance. Yes, the rooms are large with a great view and excellent bathroom, but some of the finish was shoddy with peeling backing to the orange panels, incorrectly assembled units, etc but great styling if that is your priority. There is free in-room internet access and a free mini-bar; a nice feature. Your room won't be made up unless you remember to set the 'please make-up' light and even then there will be missing items. Our used and unused face cloths were all taken and not replaced (why?).

There is a lack of choice of good, comfortable, restaurants for the size of the resort in contrast to the Movenpick hotel next door. We had breakfast at the Kempinski Obelisk restaurant which is a long walk from the room and not good in the rain (they do provide umbrellas!). It is a noisy restaurant with little comfort and cheap furniture. The oriental staff are willing but not up to the task with missing items on the table lay-up and you have to chase for service. The breakfast buffet food is quite good. The hotel public areas are far too large to be comfortable. The hotel open area near the beach is not yet completely finished with building rubble etc and is a bit 'sterile' at present. Use of the two Business Centres is free with a good number of PCs for Internet Access plus copier and printer.

We couldn't find an in-room comments form so we asked for one at Reception but the hotel doesn't have any; perhaps the hotel isn't interested in the views of their customers?

So, if you like spacious marble-palace type hotels with lots of style then this one may be for you. If you value attention to detail, truly good service and comfort then you may want to stay elsewhere.

2  Thank DaiBell
Reviewed March 28, 2010

After a wonderful stay in the Kempinski Aqaba I was really looking forward to the Dead Sea hotel, even if this time the visit was for work.

Things started badly when I pulled up in my rent car and my baggage was taken for "security" scanning. Some (excellent) Jordanian red wine I had been given as a gift was discovered and I was marched from reception to the screening room and effectively treated as a criminal. After 15 minutes negotiation I was permitted to put the wine back in my car where it could sit in the heat for 10 days (or not as it turned out).

I eventually got to a pleasant room which would have had a view over the Dead Sea if the wooden shutters hadden been screwed closed. At the fourth time of asking a technician came the following afternoon and got them open.

By then we had discovered that from the car park there is no need to go through security to reach the rooms anyhow......

The room is smart and very clean as is the bathroom although it would be better if the shower tray drained towards the outlet rather than the other way! And as my wife pointed out there are electrical sockets, dressing tables and mirrors but never in the same place.

Dinner in the Thai restaurant has been very good as has an Arabic mezze and mixed grill on our terrace. Food and service really good. The main restaurant is a long walk from the main building and in the rain extraordinarily slippery. The Marriott restaurant is probably closer.

On returning to the room one afternoon my wife discovered the room being serviced. She introduced herself to the room steward and went and sat on the balcony. An hour later she called me - she had been locked out but luckily had her phone with her.

Our final frustration is to be told that to have a drink by the pool one must return to the room and dial room service! It sounds unbelieveable but that's what we have been told.

All in all it seems hard to believe that this is in the same chain as the Aqaba hotel. Maybe we are being unlucky but so much is happening. I really wanted to enjoy it but its not a patch on its sister hotel or in fact the neighbouring Marriott.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 25, 2010

A wonderful experience. I agree with the other comments. Prompt service, gorgeous rooms with views. I didn't want to leave. Many compliments to the staff.