“location location location!!!”

Kempinski Hotel Ishtar Dead Sea
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Sweimah
Reviewed April 24, 2014

My husband I stayed as part of a large group in mid April 2014. The high point was the experience of floating in the dead sea, putting black mud body masque and floating again!!! The hotel itself is beautiful and brings in spectacular views of the dead sea. There are several pools across the hotel so despite its size and scale you don't feel crowded. There were however two lows---the spa where I was quite disappointed with the quality of the massage and second service at breakfast was not unto par for a hotel of this quality. We were a large group and most of us had to kiss eggs goodbye since the chefs behind the counters could either not understand english or were simply rattled by the numbers asking for breakfast. All in all I loved my stay!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Henk-Meyknecht, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Ishtar Dead Sea, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.
We are so pleased that we got the chance to welcoming you in our hotel and that we have succeeded to provide you with a smooth stay. Can’t agree with you more that the floating in the Dead Sea is a one in a life time experience, we hope that everyone could have the chance to experience this unique feeling.

However, we are so disappointed to learn that the massage at the spa didn't meet your expectations; I have shared your feedback with the spa management team and we hope for your next visit we will succeed to impress you once again.
Regarding the breakfast, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused by the high occupancy, we will take our utmost care to make sure to have enough staff to fulfill our guests needs.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,813)

Reviewed April 23, 2014

The location is very interesting, best time is early in the morning.However, it is very big and lots of empty spaces which give a sensation of austerity.
The service was not very warm, slow and without attention.
The price is outrageous
Best for two days maximum- can be boring .

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Henk-Meyknecht, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Ishtar Dead Sea, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Indeed, our location is very interesting to discover and be one of a “To Do List”. I would like also to thank you for sharing your opinion about the service, we have set a concrete plan to ensure our guests are provided with the maximum level of satisfaction during their stay with us, and your constructive feedback is very helpful in allowing us to take the right steps.

We hope we get the chance to welcoming you again in order to provide you with the standard of warm service we are aiming for.

Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

It is one of the nicest places i visted. Relaxing, amazing and a heaven on earth, but you have to know that ur not going to a cheap place, it was also one of the most expensive places I've been to...
A little advise, do not go to the amusement center near it, its crap! Stay at the hotel and pamper yourself.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for recommending our hotel on TripAdvsior.

We are glad that you have enjoyed your time with us and had a pleasant vacation in the Dead Sea. We are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

This is an amazing hotel in terms of architecture and the sheer scale of the place. It has fantastic pools, bars and direct Dead Sea access. The rooms are huge and stylish. We really enjoyed our stay here but I have to agree with some of the other reviews the service is (mostly) shocking. At the bar by the sunken pool you have to ask multiple times for drinks before actually receiving your order. The beer is a particular problem. It seems that the bar staff pre pour pints of draft beer and store them in the fridge which means they are flat when served. However if you get a freshly poured pint it is always warm! They also serve drinks in frosty beer mugs which aren't frozen as if to taunt you!! We also had the experience of management staff shouting at waiting staff (in fact the only very helpful member of staff we came across!). I've read some of the management responses to other complaints on trip advisor and the cut and paste nature of these responses which contain nothing of substance reflect the service experienced at the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cs_5

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback with us.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused, we are doing our best to enhance our service and meet our guests’ expectations, I personally assure you that we take guests unsatisfied feedback very seriously and we share it with the management team to discuss the most convenient ways to avoid such issues. We will do our best to regain your trust in our service standards hopefully during your next visit.

Once again, many thanks for your constructive feedback.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

The hotel is absolutely gorgeous. Location on the Dead Sea as well as the facilities are just great.
Staff is very polite and attentive, while the food is delicious at all restaurants that I ve tried, favourite being the Arabic BBQ.

Special mention to the concierge, who organised great trips for us, including Petra, Wadi Rum, Mount Nebo and even Jerusalem.

All in all a really good experience, spent overall 9 days in Jordan and had a fantastic time. Definitely recommended!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ggeorgop
Henk-Meyknecht, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Ishtar Dead Sea, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

On behalf of the staff, I would like to thank you for recommending our staff, who always try work hard to exceed our valuable guests expectations and provide them with a smooth and pleasant stay. We hope to see you again soon in the near future.

Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

I really do highly recommend kempinski dead sea to spend ur holiday a nom-regretful choice ,, I even forgot that I'm in Jordan ! The whole stay was magical , the staff was very polite and helpful ,, mostely loved the pools and the dicorations ,, loved how clean and organized the pool area is ,, breakfast wasn't that great ,, the rooms was comfy ,, all n all I defiantly will visit again very soon :) one of a kind hotel ! Simply excellent !!!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for recommending Kempinski Hotel Ishtar to the travel community.

We are proud to know that we have succeeded to deliver you a memorable experience during your visit to the Dead Sea, we are happy that your are planning to visit us soon, we are all looking forward to see you again.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

I stayed here once before and was really disappointed by the dreadful service. However I liked the location so much that I came again. I just have to say SERVICE CAN REALLY MAKE OR BREAK A HOLIDAY.

I don't usually complain about hotels, but this is an expensive 5-star hotel and the Keminski chain traditionally have high standards. However this hotel was something different. I don't think anyone ever came to take an order for wine when I was at dinner and no body ever asked if I wanted coffee at breakfast. I had to do all the asking myself. Usually I had to ask many times and even then the service was slow.

When I complained to the management of the Obelisk restaurant they were very nice and brought me complementary wine and made a big deal of carrying my plate to the table. The manager apologised profusely and said the staff were all new and this would not happen again. But the next evening - the same again, no service.

It is such a pity, as the location is amazing and the hotel is stunning architechturally. I don't know if this is bad manangement, (there were an awful lot of managers in black suits, shouting at the few waiters and generally getting in the way), maybe the staff are badly trained, or maybe they have trouble keeping staff. I did notice that large arab families seemed to get service without a problem, so there my be some kind of heirachy. In my opinion this is a serious problem and I would actually not advise any travel agents to recomment this hotel. The risk of disappointment it too high. I think most Euoropeans would be disappointed by the serivice level if they were there for more than one night and I guess most Americans would expect much better services than that provided here.

I also think it reflects very badly on the Kempinski hotel chain, as I said I was at this hotel last year and the problem was exactly the same. This suggests that management think this is ok and that the service level is acceptable.

Otherwise the Dead sea, the pools, the good food (even without beverages) and the spa were all excellent.

Room Tip: I have stayed in the main building and the resort area. I liked both rooms, but the balconies in the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank A seasoned trav... S
Henk-Meyknecht, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Ishtar Dead Sea, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your extensive and constructive feedback with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your experience with us, I am really disappointed to know that we didn’t meet your expectations even for your second visit. Please rest assured that this is not our standards of service or what we aim to reflect to our valuable guests. I assure that I will take your remarks and concerns very seriously and I wish you give us the chance to welcoming you one more time to be able to reflect our real image and please ask for me personally and I will make sure myself that your stay with us would be exceptional.

Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback and I hope we get another chance to welcoming you at our hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sweimah
Crowne Plaza Jordan - Dead Sea Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ma'in
Ramada Resort Dead Sea
Ramada Resort Dead Sea
#8 of 9 in Sweimah

Been to Kempinski Hotel Ishtar Dead Sea? Share your experiences!