“Hotel staff over extended”

Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Sweimah
San Francisco, California
“Hotel staff over extended”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

The architecture of the resort is astoundingly beautiful. It has amazing gardens. Too bad that the experience is ruined by the fact that the front desk is horrendously understaffed. Usually, there were only two or three at the front desk/reception. Check-in was supposed to be at 4; we got our room at 4.30 BUT we could not get in because the door mechanism/code was broken. Fortunately, the bell boy had initiative and let us into our second room even though the second room was NOT YET READY - he said that at least we could take advantage of the air-conditioning as it was 40 degrees Celsius that day. We finally got into the first room at 5 p.m. and then found that the connecting door to second room was locked and it took another hour to find the key. The second room was finally ready at 5.30 p.m.Nobody at the front desk bothered to let us know that we were to go back to the Reception to pick up the keys for the second room - luckily, we were listening from room one. When I asked the Reception later, the rather surly clerk told me that they were busy.
The next morning, we encountered more rudeness at the breakfast room when we asked where the bowls were for the cereal. He pointed to the one bowl that was there and looked surprised that we wanted more - there were four of us and we had paid for four breakfast.

It is such a shame that management has not staffed this Movenpick properly to cope with the number of visitors. The sister hotel at Petra is much better staffed - it is not as beautiful but it is VERY efficient except for the ice-cream cart in the lobby cafe. You would think that 4 p.m. on a hot day would be the ideal time for the ice cream cart to be staffed!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ling K
phoesli, General Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Many thanks for posting your experiences during your stay at the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea as well as the Moevenpick Resort Petra on Tripadvisor.
I have taken careful note of your comments and shared them as well with my colleague at the Moevenpick Resort in Petra.
First of all, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences caused upon your arrival. Your comments have been discussed with the executive team, in particular with our Front Office Manager as well as the Food & Beverage, who will ensure that remedy actions are being taken, in order to avoid similar inconveniences to our valued guests in the future.
I sincerely hope that the mentioned shortcomings did not mar your opinion about our services in general and would be delighted to be your host again during your next visit to the Dead Sea. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly when making your next reservation at our resort.
Thanking you for your continued loyalty towards Moevenpick Hotels & Resorts Jordan and assuring you of our best care and attention at all time, I remain,
Yours sincerely,
Peter Hoesli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Always love to go there. Most beautiful facility but the service and cleanliness leaves a lot of room for improvement. Delayed check in, room needed better cleaning, sloppy service. I hope management will continue to improve it to make the service up to the standard of a 5 star hotel. But what a lovely property.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rajgar
Dear Valued Guest,
I refer to your recent stay with us at the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea and have taken note of your comments, which you have posted on Tripadvisor.
I am very sorry to read that your last stay at our resort was not as you have expected and would like to take this opportunity, in order to apologize for any inconveniences caused.
Especially during weekends, when the resort is booked to capacity, many guests would like to take the maximum benefit of their stay and check-out very late, sometimes even after 12Noon. This is sometimes delaying us in getting the rooms ready in time for our new arriving guests. However, I have discussed your comments with our executives, who will follow-up the same in operation.
Nevertheless, I was very pleased to read that overall, you did like our resort and would be delighted to welcome you back in the hopefully not too distant future.
Thanking you for your continued patronage and assuring you of our best care and attention at all time, I remain,
With best regards.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Having stayed at 4 other hotels in the area, I say the Movenpick is the best place to stay on the Dead Sea - the layout of the resort gives guests privacy, a sense of space and quiet, and lots of unique features. The Spa is one of a kind.

I agree with other reviewers regarding general hotel service (see more comments on the spa below), this is an issue that the entire hospitality industry in Jordan is struggling with. However, if you compare it to service on the Israeli side of the Sea (which is unfriendly, surly, rude, very poor English skills), I would definitely say its 10 grades above that. We had long waits at check-in and check-out because the reception staff were dealing with issues that would have been better handled if they had had a concierge on staff and at hand.

On the other hand, service at the Spa was spectacular - both the masseuse and facialist gave me extra time and special treatment targeted exactly to my needs. The Spa itself is well worth the stay - a hydro-therapy pool, a private infinity pool, and a gorgeous lay-out all with beautiful views of the Dead Sea.

The breakfasts are bountiful, the food fresh, and a gluten-free, organic, health corner is provided. Food at the Italian restaurant could be improved - go for the pizza, its the best thing on the menu.

A beautiful resort and get-away!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
phoesli, General Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Many thanks for posting your review of your stay at the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea on Tripadvisor.
I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay at our resort and especially our Director of Spa & Wellness, Dr Suryaprakash Dubey and his team were delighted to read your complimentary remarks about our Zara Spa.
It goes without saying that especially during weekends, guests are insisting to enjoy their stay until the last moment and therefore, tend to check-out rather late, which unfortunately can sometimes cause a delay in the arrival procedures. Therefore, the check-in time has been set for 4pm, to give our Housekeeping team ample time to thoroughly clean the rooms.
I wish to thank you for your recommendation and hope to be your host again during your next visit to the Dead Sea, I remain,
With best regards.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2014

This hotel sells itself short on the internet. We stayed in the beach rooms for a week, the room and the balcony was huge and lovely designed. The resort was very spread out and a lot of steps, my mother was with us so I was very worried she would would struggle to get around. This wasn't the case anytime she want to go anywhere one of the hotel employees turned up and drove her around in a golf cart, they took her everywhere and were really lovely to her.

Back to the hotel, the room was very clean, staff exceptionally helpful, and the ice cream, well it just has to be tried to believe. The chef was so nice to us and came out every meal to check we enjoyed our meal, the food was excellent.

The Dead Sea was a fantastic experience, thanks to others we knew to take swimming shoes with us because of the salt crystals on the rocks that you have to walk over.

Would have no hesitation recommending this hotel above the others in the area. Thank you for making our stay very special.

Room Tip: Bring swimming shoes for getting into the Dead Sea as there are salt crystals on the rocks and is ve...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,
I refer to your recent stay with us at the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea and thank you for having taken the time to post a review on Tripadvisor, recommending our resort’s facilities and services accordingly.
The team and I are very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay at our resort and we all would be delighted to welcome you back in the hopefully not too distant future.
You may be interested to know that we will shortly receive the Moevenpick Premium Ice Cream directly from Switzerland and have 21 flavors available, which will surely be a treat for all our guests!
With kind regards and best wishes.
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed the atmosphere tremendously, an excellent place for a relaxing time with the family, rooms were clean and the food was great, 5 stars is my rating for the place, welcoming staff upon arrival made us feel good right from the start. I will defiantly repeat the visit again, but this time stay a little longer.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
phoesli, General Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Many thanks for your kind review of our services and facilities on Tripadvisor.
The team and I are very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay at our resort and that you were satisfied with the services and facilities provided. It goes without saying that we would be delighted to have you next time staying a bit longer and assure you already in advance of our best care and attention to your comfort.
Thanking you for your patronage and kind recommendation of Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, I remain,
With kind regards and best wishes.
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

We spent 3 nights and 2 full days. The place is very nice, the hotel architecture special and the room nice, but it depends on the room type. Not all the staff speaks english though. The experience of swimming in the dead see is unique, but I would not suggest to spend more than 2 full days.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,
Many thanks for your recent stay with us at the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea and for recommending our resort on Tripadvisor.
Careful note has been taken of your comment, regarding the English knowledge of our employees. This is to inform you that many of our employees, especially on line levels, are being recruited from the local community but not all of them are fluent in English. Therefore, we are having an English Teacher employed at our resort, who is assisting in the corresponding training of our employees, providing English classes accordingly. Please accept our apologies for any inconveniences caused.
Nevertheless, I have noted with pleasure that you have overall enjoyed your stay at our resort and that you were satisfied with the services and facilities provided.
I would of course, be delighted to be your host again during your next visit to the Dead Sea and assure you already in advance of our best care and attention to your comfort.
Thanking you for your continued patronage, I remain,
With kind regards.
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed April 20, 2014

The hotel was recommended
to us by our guide book, but it was a disappointment. The rooms were average and needed work (ie broken shutters) and the general service was a catastrophe. Servers forgot orders, took ages, brought unsought for roomservice and, to top it all, were extremely rude about it.
The hotel is nice and the location as well, but the manager sourly needs to do something about service standards.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
I refer to your recent stay with us at the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea and have taken careful note of your comments, which I have shared of course as well with my executive team, in order to ensure that corresponding remedy actions are taken without delay.
You may be interested to know that we are about to finalize the planning of our upcoming room renovation, which is including the refurbishment of 323 out of 346 rooms and suites of the resort. The same interior designer has been chosen to provide the new design, who was responsible for the original interior design of our resort. Two mock-up rooms and one mock-up suite are already available and we hope to start the renovation, which will be done in stages, very soon.
I would like to take this opportunity, in order to apologize for any inconveniences caused. Nevertheless, I sincerely hope that you will give us another change to proof to you that we are indeed worthy your patronage and assure you already in advance of our best care and attention to your comfort. Please contact me directly when making a corresponding reservation.
Thanking you for your continued patronage, I remain,