“Not Expecting Much” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Sweimah
Los Angeles, California
“Not Expecting Much”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

As a pilgrim, it is a privilege to be in a place like Moevenpick. Good food, friendly staff, If I have another time and chance to visit again, I will stay in your place to recharge myself. The lady pianist is great. Bartender very good in dealing with people. Great social skills.

Room Tip: Don't be picky, be proper.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
phoesli, General Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Many thanks for your feedback on Tripadvisor. The team and I are very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay at our resort and were satisfied with the services and facilities provided. Your compliments have been passed to our Pianist and the Bartender of Al Khayyam Bar.
We all are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea during your next visit to Jordan and assure you already in advance of our best care and attention to your comfort.
Thanking you for your patronage, I remain,
Peter Hoesli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Muscat, Oman
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

I have been going to this resort for 6 years as a loyal customer with my family. However, last 2 years have been a continuous slide from bad to worse. The Breakfast is chaos, there aren't enough employees to serve, the restaurants in the center area are shamelessly overpriced, and there is visible friction between the employees who work there and the management.

The pools boys didn't have towels for the pool and weren't interested in solving the problem which left many pool goers waiting for a towel to enjoy the facilities. The reception team is unresponsive and their reaction time is quite poor.

I was at the same Movenpick last summer and the employees actually walked out in protest of the management. We were left without any of the normal services. The hotel management attempted to salvage dinner by having the pool staff serve at the main dining hall, but they never attempted to compensate us for the loss for staying while the workers were on Strike.

We tried to go again, to see if things improved this year, and we were let down again. I was a loyal customer to the movenpick, but now the service has reached a point where it is clearly not a good value any longer. The restaurants as well are really overpriced for simple dishes that would only cost a fraction of that price outside the hotel. Typically, I would expect hotels to have a higher price at the restaurants, but coupled with the poor service, it is really hard to accept.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jesse D
phoesli, General Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
I refer to your posting on Tripadvisor, regarding your recent stay with us at the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, for which I thank you.
Careful note has been taken of your comments and I am sorry to read that your stay was marred by several deficiencies. I have shared your comments as well with my executive team, who will ensure that remedy actions are being taken without delay. Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconveniences caused.
I would like to inform you that an employee satisfaction survey has recently been conducted at our resort by a reputable company. 97% of our employees have participated in the survey, the results of which were very good indeed, seeing an excellent increase in the satisfaction of our employees compared to the past years.
With regards to the pricing of our food and beverages at our resort, we are conducting frequent surveys among resorts of similar standard in the area with the result of being in line with our competition. However, I have asked our Food & Beverage Manager to conduct a renewed survey and it goes without saying that any discrepancies will be followed up accordingly.
I do hope that you give us another chance to demonstrate to you that we are indeed worthy your patronage. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly (peter.hoesli@moevenpick.com) when making a corresponding reservation.
Thanking you for your continued patronage and assuring you of our best care and attention at all time, I remain,
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

We couldn't have planned this better, after spending 2 days\nights in camp (see my other reviews), we drove from Wadi Rum to Movenpick for 1day/night stay to end our trip. We should have stayed 2, actually attempted to change our flight.
The hotel grounds are exquisite. We splurged as we were traveling off season (February) and chose a Premier Sea room. HUGE patio, I mean HUGE, the size of most hotel rooms. The bedding was Heaven. Pools, heated, extensive grounds, plenty of dining options, and gift shops.
The plunge into the Dead Sea made me act like a kid, giggling the whole time. Plenty of mudd is provided to slather yourself up, beds to lie in, and showers to rinse off in...but I scrubbed the mudd off in the Sea. I seriously was giggling and laughing like a 10 year old.
Shout out for their breakfast buffet, IT WAS AWESOME!

Incase you're wondering of our route, it was airport to Petra to Wadi rRm to Abaqa to Dead Sea to Madaba to airport, 6 nights total. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
Many thanks for your kind review of your recent stay with us at the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea on Tripadvisor, including as well some nice photos of the beach room, you have occupied.
I am truly happy to read that you have enjoyed your visit to our resort and hope that you will choose the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea or any other Moevenpick Resort in Jordan again during your future trips to the region.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

More 4 star than 5 star I feel....beautiful hotel but couple of small things letting it down - when we called reception from our room, no one answered, the cot for our daughter never came ( at the other hotels we stayed in they already had it in the room before we checked in), in other hotels, we are use to being taken to our room - rather than wandering around with our hand luggage and 1 year old daughter trying to find it for ourselves. The complimentary toiletries are a bit sub par, and the happy hour interpretation of " 2 for 1" is not the same as at home ( Australia). On the plus, the hotel is in good condition and the staff are friendly. Would I stay at the Movenpick again ? No, I would probably try one of the other resorts lining the Jordanian strip of the Red Sea.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
phoesli, General Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
I refer to your posting on Tripadvisor for which I thank you.
Careful note has been taken of your comments and I have shared them as well with my executive team members, who will follow-up and ensure that remedy actions are being taken without delay.
Please accept our apologies for any inconveniences caused. Nevertheless, I was very pleased to read that you found our resort to be in good condition and that our employees were friendly.
I would be delighted to be your host again during your next visit to the Dead Sea and assure you already in advance of our best care and attention to your comfort.
Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

While we are not the 'resort' types and typically prefer a small B&B or tent, our visit at the Moevenpick Dead Sea Resort during the off season was such a joy we will do it again. The hotel was not overcrowded and no day-users. The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to do extra touches, like having a man at the door giving out refreshments and he even played with the children making them excited about their upcoming stay. The food was exceptional, with a huge spread in the Al Saraya restaurant as we wanted Arabic dishes. Both dinners were great and we enjoyed the buffet style, same for the breakfasts.

The Dead Sea is sure worth a visit and while they have a dock you can walk on over the rocks for comfort it was broken during our stay. We found out that an overweight guest broke it. So yes we had to walk over the rocks encrusted with salt crystals, and yes I didn't bring sandals and it hurt my poor soft feet, but sure better than tearing up the environment more than providing a soft sand beach! And Moevenpick had two guys stationed at the beach to assist people and they told us to wear sandals.

We didn't use the spa, so cannot speak about it, but we sure did love the hotel with it's beautiful décor and the gift shop had some truly beautiful art. The young man who made our daughter a sand sculpture was very nice and spoke to us about his art for over an hour without pushing any of it on us as most others artists do. Unfortunately his bottle was broken by Israeli security at the Ben Gurion Airport.

The other resorts are cookie-cutter, stay here if you want a 'Arabian Experience' as it is designed to give it.

Dear Valued Guest,
I refer to your recent stay at the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea and your detailed posting of your experiences with us on Tripadvisor. The photos you have posted are very nice – thank you.
The team and I are very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay at our resort and that you were satisfied with the services and facilities provided.
We all would be delighted to welcome you back to the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea in the hopefully not too distant future and hope that you will visit also our award winning Zara Spa during your next stay with us.
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

The Mövenpick resort has been created wholly in the spirit of Arabian fantasy: rooms, corridors, stairs, inner gardens....everything exudes 'The Thief Of Bagdad' or 'Arabian Adventure'. So depending on your preference you'll either consider this a tacky Hollywood pastiche or positively enchanting.

The resort boasts three pools (two "infinity" ones with absolutely stunning views over the Dead Sea in the late afternoon), and several -good, but not cheap- restaurants, some of which may be closed during the low season.

Note that the shore is quite infested with flies, so be prepared for that while tanning near the pool.

Getting into the Dead Sea is dead easy: a five minute walk on resort ground, right into the sea.
However, take note that the shoreline and floor consist solely of salt-encrusted crystalline rocks which will cut you to ribbons if you try and enter the sea barefoot.
* TIP: do not wear flip-flops (the water density is too high to effectively use these walking into the water). Purchase some plastic sandals beforehand!

There's not much else to do other than floating in the Dead Sea (which is like nothing you've ever done. Honestly.) and what is on offer in the resort (like the marvellous Spa), but there IS a small mall just off the premises at a 5 minute walk for some tourist shopping, a quick fastfood bite or a great cup of coffee with cheesecake (at 'JavaU').

One slight annoyance in the resort is the volume level of the music, which is 'Jordanian fun standard'...i.e. LOUD.  Music in the main building ranges from early eighties heavy metal to early eighties New Wave to early eighties Queen. Wonderfully nostalgic for those of us having lived through that era, slightly *less* enjoyable over breakfast or a leisurely evening lounge...

And staying on the subject: the (again: loud!) pool side's mostly early 90s remix music suggests a gay dance party in Ibiza rather than a family holiday resort, but never mind, one can always bring one's own iPod. :-)
And the Dead Sea has no speakers set up, so floating there is tranquil bliss.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms have a view of the lovely gardens and are more quiet. Standard rooms may have a sea vie...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
Many thanks for posting this very detailed review of your recent stay with us at the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea.
Careful note has been taken of your comments and I would like to inform you that we are currently finalizing the renewal of our beach access, which will facilitate the entrance to the Dead Sea tremendously. The same goes for the Kneipp pool at the Zara Spa which will be put back into operation soon.
It goes without saying that we are doing our best to fight the flies during autumn time (there are no flies during this season) and have concluded a corresponding contract with a reputable pest control company accordingly.
Your comments, regarding the background music have been passed on to the executives concerned, who will follow-up the matter and ensure that only the “easy listening” channel is being broadcasted in our public area on low volume.
The team and I are pleased to read that you have overall enjoyed your stay at our resort and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back anytime in the near future.
With best regards.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

I love the spa & the gym in this lovely resort, relaxation at the top level, specially the beach of the dead sea, so nice, always floating without any force, i highly recommended every one to visit this nice resort

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Diana476
phoesli, General Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
I wish to take this opportunity, to thank you for your kind review and complimentary remarks, posted on Tripadvisor. It goes without saying that the team and I are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay at the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea. As mentioned in one of my previous postings, we are having a new Director of Spa & Wellness, starting his assignment at our Zara Spa within the next couple of days. He is an Ayurveda specialist and will implement several new treatments, giving our Spa and Clinic a much more holistic approach. This will surely be something to be discovered during one of your future visits to our resort.
Peter Hoesli
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sweimah
Kempinski Hotel Ishtar Dead Sea
Ramada Resort Dead Sea
Ramada Resort Dead Sea
#6 of 9 in Sweimah
Sheraton Amman Al Nabil Hotel

Been to Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea? Share your experiences!