“Very Good Quiet Stay”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Sweimah
Amman, Jordan
“Very Good Quiet Stay”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The hotel has always been one of my favorites on the Dead Sea and I have been there many times. The atmosphere of the hotel is unique in every way from the rooms, general layout, and the building style. I love it.

Rooms are clean, specious, well equipped, and so are the bathrooms. View from the rooms can be somewhat limited due to location, but I did not try too many room categories. I always pick the premium rooms as they provide a quiet location in addition to the section having their private pool. Other pools can get quite crowded especially on summer weekends and public holidays which I avoid at all costs.

Despite that, service, although efficient, can be very slow considering midweek traffic. The people at the hotel are very welcoming and helpful at all times, but it takes some good time between asking / ordering, and getting it. Nothing that really bothered my stay, but for the premium I would have expected a tiny bit more. As I said, this is not my first experience, and had the same experience several times before.

Food quality is good. The breakfast had good variety, quantity, and quality. Other a la carte items can use some improvement on taste and presentation (again, considering the price).

Overall, it was a good stay with small comments here and there.

Room Tip: For ultimate relaxation and privacy, pay the extra and get a premium room. Private pool, no kids, an...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Barbara S, Guest Relations Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Kind greetings from the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea!

Firstly, I may thank you for being a loyal guest to us. Moreover, we appreciate receiving your feedback and you sharing your comments with other travelers here on TripAdvisor.

We have taken careful note of your comments, especially with regards to the service you received throughout your stay and we are definitely working on improving the mentioned points to ensure continuous satisfaction.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the near future.

Barbara Steinort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I am not a fan of huge resorts but found this an unusually charming one. We stayed in the village which was built in terracotta colored old-looking style, with a small terrace out to a lovely garden area. Beautiful rooms, fantastic food buffets and lovely area. Yes its expensive, but everywhere you go a place like this would be, and a couple of days here you won't regret.

Room Tip: Go for the village instead of the main hotel building. Very charming.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Barbara S, Guest Relations Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Firstly, I may inform you that our team is happy to read that we succeeded in meeting or exceeding your expectations and to know that you have given us an opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to hospitality.

Moreover, we were thrilled that you recommended us so kindly here on TripAdvisor.

Please be ensured that the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea team will be more than happy to welcome you back during your next trip to the Dead Sea.

Best wishes,

Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I arrived in the afternoon and was delighted with the hotel, the spa, the dead sea and spent most of the afternoon walking around and enjoying myself. The room I was given also seemed very nice,spacious and clean. However, as I laid in bed later that night checking my emails I felt something crawling on my skin. It was a bed bug (!) full with my blood that I noticed once I crushed it. Upon further inspection there were other critters in that bed and on the other one too !! I quicly repack everything and went straight to the reception. The man there was polite, but did not seem susprised with my report at all. He simply offered me another room, as if complaining of bugs on the bed was something that happened everyday. I changed rooms immediately and, to my relief ,did not find any bug on the beds of the new room. But the possibility of there being bugs on that bed as well remained for the whole stay and lingered afew days at home after my return... The rest of the hotel is excellent, the spa one of the best I have ever visited. But even 5 star spas can have bed bugs...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Marcrisbh
Dear valued guest,

Greetings from the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea! Our team would like to sincerely thank you for sharing your comments of your visit to the Dead Sea with us.

We have already taken action in concern to your comment about the cleanliness of our rooms, as we are currently closing parts of our hotel facilities to deep clean the rooms one by one. However, I may assure you that we do not have bed bugs in the hotel, unfortunately, they hide in luggages from time to time.

Thank you for giving me this opportunity to explain and apologise. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again and we are confident that your next stay will be pleasurable in every respect.

Best wishes,

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is an absolutely gorgeous hotel but the facilities were all that the Movenpick had going for it in our eyes. We started by waiting five (at least) minutes to get into the parking lot and watched some gentlemen haggle to get into the lot. After parking, nobody greeted us - we passed our bags through security and took them to the check-in counter where the line was slow. There's a fountain in the lobby that makes it very loud too.

While I understand we have no 'status' at the hotel and booked a discount rate, it was a disappointment to have twin beds, a pleasure to be told they would be brought together into a big bed, and a disappointment when the room was not modified for us. Our evening snack took way too long to be served and the soup and snack we ordered were not complete based on the menu description, and how it was 'fix' felt like a brush off. Dinner saw the wrong entree being placed in front of me, strange fried spaghetti garnishes and poorly done (though hot and tasty) risotto. One of the waiters was quite kind though, even joking with us without being disruptive to our dinner.

There were a couple of disturbances in the night but the beds and linens were very comfy. (it was a holiday weekend and the place was packed.) Breakfast was fine and check out was easy. The night manager even offered to lead us to the airport when he left.

Because "average" is three stars and this hotel was not average (especially for a five star) I must rate it at a two/poor. There are great things and some disappointments. Not trying to tank the ratings, but the verdict is that next time we'll save a bit of money and stay at a resort down the road.

2 Thank C H
Barbara S, Guest Relations Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Many thanks for taking your time to provide us with your valuable feedback of your stay at the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea!

We accommodate a number of guests in our hotel and are proud to have the flexibility to meet the requirements of all our guests. It is therefore extremely disappointing to read that your expectations with regards to your arrival, in room facilities and food & beverage outlets have not been met. The department heads concerned will certainly concentrate on the On job training of our team to improve the mentioned points.

Please be assured that we fully appreciate the points you have raised and would, once again, like to offer our sincere apologies for the disappointment you have expressed.

Your present feelings are appreciated, however, I do hope that you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We were visiting Jordan on our honeymoon and had cheekily informed the Movenpick of this and as a result we were upgraded to a room in the Um Qais building which has an adults only shared pool (usually empty which was nice as it felt like our own private pool). The room was lovely and the mini bar (soft drinks only) was free!
The hotel complex was vast and we were only there one night so didn't have time to visit even half of it but walking around was lovely as it was like a little Arabian village, we got some good photos. We ate in the Valley Cafe, an Arabic restaurant, and the mezze was superb. There was a reasonable, if a bit cheesy, band and a very good belly dancer to entertain you; the shisha (or aguilla as they call it there) was excellent.
Breakfast was good but not the best I have ever had (this could be unfair as I do live in the UAE where hotel breakfasts are immense), service was average to poor in the restaurant but we had come to expect this in Jordan by this time.
There is a small infinity pool by the sea which was quite lively on a Saturday afternoon with club music and cocktails in full flow (Sunday morning was far more peaceful). There is no real beach but they do have a big pot of the mud that you can use and there is a little jetty into the water. The lifeguard there was helpful and will take photos for you too. We were told that some of the hotels have beaches that are made of the mud but we didn't feel we missed out by not having one.
One strange thing was that they scan your bags on the way in and we had 2 bottles in our luggage (one champagne to drink - we were on honeymoon - and one bottle of Jordanian wine that we were taking home anyway), the guard told us that there is a limit to one bottle which we found a bit strange, they are clearly trying to maximize your spend (alcohol also has 26% tax & service), but they did let us in with it in the end.

1 Thank 5starFrizz
Barbara S, Guest Relations Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear valued guest,

We were thrilled to hear that you chose our hotel for the special occasion of your travels. It has been a great pleasure welcoming you to the Mövenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea and I may assure you that your comfort and well-being are always our highest priorities.

Please be informed that since a few years, a law in Jordan exists that 5 star hotels have to have X-Ray machines at the entrance to scan all incoming bags of guests. I do hope that this did not inconvenience you. Moreover, we do have a policy in our resort to only permit 1 bottle of wine/water etc. per guest, however, I was happy to read that due to your special occasion an exception was made.

I am happy to read that we succeeded in meeting or exceeding your expectations and to know that you have given us an opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to hospitality.

Furthermore, we have taken note of your constructive comments and we will ensure to improve the mentioned points accordingly.

All of us were delighted to be of service to you and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Mövenpick Resort and Spa Dead Sea in the not too distant future.

Dubai
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed 2 nights for our anniversary and what a wonderful time we had. The Movenpick is a large property with a traditional ‘village’ feel and lovely walking areas. The check-in was quick, the rooms are spacious (um quais) and comfortable, the toiletries amazing (all dead sea products) and the sleep quality wonderful.

There is a range of pools with awesome views of the dead sea and the mountains across – very relaxing. The walk to the Dead Sea can be long and steep, so ask for a golf cart if with kids or elderly. The sea itself is quite an exciting experience between the floating and the mud pack - hotel personnel is present on site for assistance. Must do!

The Zara spa is outstanding and fully worth the wonderful reviews it gets. The spa has multiple pool including the amazing Hydrotherapy Infinity pool and the large infinity pool with a bar– what amazing sunset views. The use of all facilities is complimentary with a minimum value of JD 100 per day/person and there are various treatments that can be booked (www.zaraspa.com) in that price. We booked the signature ‘Dead Sea Spa Journey’ treatment at the Zara spa which is absolutely incredible.

The breakfast was good, but other restaurants were average. We tried the Asian and Italian one – food not impressive, service terrible. We ordered room service instead.

Apart from that, we totally enjoyed our stay and anniversary celebrations at the Movenpick and would love to go back anytime.

Awesome and highly recommended.

Room Tip: Away from the main building if you can!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

Warm greetings from the Dead Sea!

Your kind comments are greatly appreciated. Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise. I have brought your comments to the attention of those concerned.

However, we have also noted your feedback with regards to the quality of food of our restaurants and the service provided to you. We have ensured to share your comments with our team in order to improve the mentioned points in the future and meet your expectations 100% during your next visit.

It was of great pleasure being of service to you and I may thank you for choosing our Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea for your vacation.

Reading,
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We chose this hotel because it offered a Thalgo spa and it really did not disappoint. The spa is separate from the hotel with a £25 charge for use where no treatments are taken and I have to say it is well worth the money. The main pools offer various whirpools, including a stand up Jacuzzi (just great), whirlpools like arm chairs and also loungers, all with great views of the Dead Sea and West Bank. There is an excellent infinity pool offering the same great views and food/ service in the snack bar was good. Extreme highlight has to be watching the sun set over the Dead Sea by the infinity pool, sipping a beer or wine as the night cools. There is a range of indoor pools, including two “Dead Sea” pools and a pool with water jets in the floor providing reflexology (so good). We do use Spas on a regular basis and my wife felt the two treatments she had during the day were amongst the best she had ever had. Prices are less than the UK and offer good value when you consider what is provided. A good day and we would go back for the 4 or 5 day treatment programme. Special mention for the staff in the Spa who could teach the hotel staff very many lessons.

The hotel can be reviewed separately. Sometimes we find we have to put things behind us to enjoy a stay and this was certainly one of those occasions. Let’s get the gripes out of the way before going onto the good elements. This is a 4 star hotel with 2 star staff and service. It did not start well when we were shouted at by a waiter at breakfast who said we had room only! We did not, but that is beside the point. What if we had room only and chose to buy breakfast? If he had a query, this was certainly not the way to deal with it. We thought we would not argue in front of everyone and went to leave to get room booking details when another waiter came up and told us “everything was alright”. It was not alright, it was ignorant and there was not even an apology. Apart from that, we had problems with people collecting our bags when we checked out. DO NOT LET CUSTOMER SERVICES CHECK YOU IN ON YOUR FLIGHTS. THEY WERE INCOMPETENT AND INSISTED IN CHECKING IN WHEN WE CLEARLY INSTRUCTED THEM TO STOP WHAT THEY WERE DOING. For such a nice hotel, why do they not get their staff training right? Certainly not what we would expect from a Moevenpick. Final gripe was the intrusive music in the restaurant area. Quality of entertainment was actually very good but you could not get away from it when eating outside or indoors.
Gripes over so over to the good parts. The accommodation was very good. There are a number of “streets” and our room was lovely, very spacious and clean, good sized bathroom and excellent patio area. COMPLIMENTARY SOFT DRINKS IN THE WELL STOCKED MINI BAR and very good toiletries. Lovely gardens which were very well kept and beautiful plants made wandering around the hotel grounds a pleasurable experience. There were a number of pools to choose from which were all spacious and had numerous loungers, parasols etc. Towels supplied at the pool side. Small beach but easy access for the mandatory dip in the Dead Sea. Food in the hotel was to a good standard and there was a lot of choice. We liked the bars, especially the bar in the main building where the balcony offered lovely views and drinks were good. Very well appointed public rooms with some stunning furniture. This is a really nice hotel which is important, given the isolated location, if only the staff lived up to it. Having said that, we would come back for the Spa.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Barbara S, Guest Relations Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Warm greetings from the Dead Sea!

Firstly, I may thank you for taking your time to share such an explicit review of your stay with the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea here on TripAdvisor.

We are thrilled to hear that the services and facilities of our Zara Spa have exceeded your expectations.

However, we have also taken careful note of your comments with regards to the service provided to you in the rest of our hotel. I may apologize for the inconvenience caused to you and I am sorry to read that your expectations were not met in several points. Moreover, your feedback has been shared with our team to ensure improvement of the mentioned areas.

We wish to not only have you visit our resort for the Spa, however, to also give us another chance as a hotel to prove that we are worthy your journey to the Dead Sea.