“Relaxed weekend”

Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Sweimah
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We spend two nights at the hotel, and really enjoyed the experience despite some issues!. We stayed in one of the rooms in the Wadi Rum section of the hotel with a wonderful view over the Dead Sea and at night, the lights of Jericho and the other towns on the west side of the sea. The food at the Grill was excellent ( just remember that alcohol - wine and spirits are very expensive!!)

On a negative side - the room was a bit tacky due to lack of maintenance - burn marks and permanent stains on the desk and side table. And I do not think that the emergency firehose, situated in the garden in from of the room, will ever work, overgrown and half full of debris!!

Room Tip: The Wadi Rum section is quite with very good views - BUT far from everything and a bit expensive!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Barbara S, Guest Relations Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear valued guest,

Many thanks for sharing your positive memories of your stay at the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea with us here on TripAdvisor.

Moreover, please be informed that we have taken careful note of your comments with regards to the room and the emergency firehose and we have shared them with our Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer who are eager on rectifying the mentioned points. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

It would be a pleasure to our team to welcome you back to our resort in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Despeite the great premises, our stay at this hotel could have been much better if it weren't for the total lack of infrastructure in serving large number of guests. Breakfast, lunch and dinner became real nightmares, or if you wish, battles for a table, a napkin, a even a fork. Staff should quickly be re tarined so as to face such moments, that seem to be quite frequent at this resort hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rogerio225
Barbara S, Guest Relations Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Dear valued guest,

Greetings from the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea!

We accommodate a number of guests in our hotel and are proud to have the flexibility to meet the requirements of all our guests. It is therefore extremely disappointing to have let you down with regards to your expecations of our food & beverage outlets. However, I would also like to note that on high occupancy days, we do open a second breakfast restaurant in order to not have any of our guests waiting.

In closing, may I thank you, once again, for taking the time to write. We are grateful for your support and look forward to welcoming you at our resort in the future.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I have stayed at the Moevenpick Dead sea many times and have always enjoyed my stay there.
I had previously always enjoyed the courtesy of staff and people and the spacious beach rooms.

I am writing this review during my current stay on 4/26/2013.
The stay has been so bad that got me into writing this review immediately.
Unfortunately, the hotel failed to meet even basic minimum expectations.
I briefly spoke to the manager and another person at the reception.
Although I was informed that someone would return my call, no one did !!
The service was callous and unprofessional, to say the least.

1) The terrace for the beach room that I had booked (note that the terrace with a beach view is the main attraction for a beach room) had
substantially much lesser space compared to previous beach rooms that I have stayed in. The Moevenpick website states that all beach
rooms are of the same size. While the room size may be of the same, the terrace size is not the same.
For the room that I stayed at, the terrace was not even half the size of rooms stayed in the past.
And this makes a lot of difference. I did not feel motivated to spend any time in the samll balcony - does not
really make sense to spend the additional money for a beach room.

Buyer Beware when opting for beach rooms - not all terraces for beach room are the same size.
You may be better off paying the rates for a standard instead of a beach room with a very small balcony.

2) Further, the room allotted to me was slightly worn out.
Having stayed at the Moevenpick before, I know that not all rooms have a shabby finish.
So, it seems that there is a mixed bag of rooms at the hotel - some good and some bad.
Buyer Beware again !!

3) Room Service - First, the button on the phones in the room do not work. Second, the transfer time for ordering
coffee over phone was 7 minutes. Third, it has been 1 hour since we ordered coffee...still not arrived !! The person taking the order
had a hard time understanding english. When the coffee finally arrived, it was cold.
We had asked for cookies along with our coffee and the response that
we got was that cookies are not available. Imagine a 5 star hotel where cookies are not available !!
Likewise, we asked for some pine nuts added to our pasta.
The curt response that we get is that it cannot be provided. The service is
very mechnical and if you ask for even a small change to items in the room
service meny, you will get a curt response "NO". As an example, as we are vegetarians we asked for 2 meat items out of 6 items in the arabic
mezze platter to be substituted. The curt response was "extra charge". This is unimaginable attitude for a 5 star hotel !!!
I have been to several 5 star hotels around the world and it should really not work this way.
Moreover, they do not deliver the food as described in the menu. As an example, we ordered the spring rolls which is supposed to come with
chili sauce and yohurt sauce. However, due to lack of quality consciousness, the yogurt sauce does is not delivered.

4) Luigi restaurant - Altough the food is good, service is pathetic.
We had to repeatedly tell the waiters 3 times so that they get the items you request.
I signed the check and charged the food to my room. While we are walking out, they come
out running and tell us to pay money immediately stating that credit authorization to post to the room was not taken.
I questioned why the reception did not take the credit authorization in the first place (should'nt a five star hotel do this?)
and told them that I will pay upon check out. They insisted that I pay cash. Are they fearing that I will run away without paying ?
What sort of a cheesy attitude is that ? Later, when I called the manager, they apologized for this and send someone later to take the authorization.

5) At the pool desk, one has to repeated ask for towels. Despite asking towels 3 times, I see the pool attendent
chatting with his colleague rather than attending to the customer.

6) Upon check in, the staff at the reception tell you to wait for a room and mention that they will call you when the room is available.
However, no call was received even well past check in time. One has to personally walk to the lobby again and again to check of the room is
available. This is indeed very tiring especially during a hot day.

On the positive side, the food at the Luigi was very good.
However, all the other things pointed above contribute to an overall negative experience

Despite all the mishaps, the Moevenpick should no signs of gesture, regret or attempts to undo the poor service by other measures.
They simply dont seem to care !! Worrying and bothersome !!

The Moevenpick Dead sea has certainly lost me as a customer.
The staff needs some serious training in customer service and basic etiquette.
Managers need be more proactive in responding to customer concerns.

Room Tip: Buyer Beware: If you opt for a beach room, make sure you ask for a big terrace
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank vijay95136

Dear valued guest,

Firstly, I may thank you for being a loyal guest to the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea.

Moreover, I would like to inform you that we have taken careful note of your constructive comments and we have shared it will all our team to improve certain services and facilities.

However, I would like to note that all our beach rooms do have the same size and as you have stayed with us many times before you do also know that the terraces of the beach rooms vary in size. Therefore, if you would have requested a specific room number upon making the reservation we could have tried to allocate this room to you to fulfill your wishes. Moreover, we have offered you to move to an Executive Suite (as no Beach Rooms or Beach Suites were available) for a slightly higher price.

Furthermore, please note that our reception does ask for a guarantee of payment upon check-in in order for you to post your extras to your room bill. However, if this is not being given all extras have to be paid upon consumption.

We are aware that your opinion of our service has been affected by the handling of your concerns and do hope that in time, you may reconsider your position and choose to stay with us in the future.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed just one night at the Movenpick Resort and it was an incredibly relaxing experience. The main hotel pool is unique in that the first half has a sand bottom while the deeper end has a concrete bottom. Although chilly, you can walk in to the pool as if you were on the beach! On the other hand, the entrance, or plank really, to enter the Dead Sea was quite intimidating! At other hotels in the area, guests can calmly walk in, but at the Movenpick, it's necessary to balance on a wooden walkway while holding the hand rails to avoid being swept into the sea by the waves hitting the rocks! The pictures of the event were quite entertaining, but I can't say it was a peaceful adventure. An older gentleman was aided by two young sons on his way in and out of the sea. The room itself was fairly plain and the shower set-up was most awkward as the curtain could not close completely and lots of water went unnecessarily onto the bathroom floor. Again, pretty funny, just not what I had expected. Our second day at the resort was extremely relaxing as we spent most of our time at the Zara Spa. Since the weather was a little cool, the heated salt and regular pools were a most welcome treat! They also had free tea, coffee and fruit in the main waiting area. I would suggest a Dead Sea salt scrub if you have money to spend...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear valued guest,

Many thanks for taking your precious time to write your recommendation of the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea facilities here on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to read that you enjoyed our numerous pools, our Zara Spa and services.

However, I would also like to note that the Dead Sea is steadily sinking and therefore, we are trying our best to always rearrange the access in order for our guests to enter without problems. Moreover, our life guards are on duty to assist guests.

Furthermore, please be informed that a soft room renovation is scheduled for this year in order to upgrade and refresh our rooms.

We do look forward welcoming you back to our resort to show an improvement of the mentioned points.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We arrived around 1:35 PM, we have 8 rooms (6 DBLS & 2 SGLS) reserved for us. The guy at the Guest Relations Desk Mr. Amer was overwhelmed and confused by the number of rooms, I spend an hour at the desk, and 2 more phone calls trying to explain to him that we have 3 Circle M cards (a loyalty program card), and we are entitled to 6 discounted rooms, but it was too much for him to understand and handle professionally. We checked in the rooms and went immediately to the pool to utilize the time we have left. The room size is good, but they need to be updated badly, the bathroom looks old with scratched toilette seat. The sheets and towels were clean, plenty of sunshine outside but none gets inside the rooms, you look outside from the window and your only view is a dull wall, depressing. I needed a box of tissues, and got it the next day. The pool area is nice, despite the warm weather the pool was freezing unlike the beer which was hot. However, staff is friendly in most bars and restaurants. We had dinner at a reception we were invited to but the food was awful. We had breakfast in the main dining area the next morning, the food is OK in terms of variety, all the basics are there, coffee wasn’t good, tables, we had to ask 3 times for napkins until we got one, and some of the plates were sticky.
We went to check out hoping we can get extension as some of our friends couldn’t check in before 610PM, as they had to repeat the same discount story to the Guest Relations employee, and I had to call him to explain to him the equation. The nice lady at Guest relations Ms. Abyad was trying to help, but out of the blue the French manager interfered and we had to listen to a lecture about hotel policy and rules, one of which that normal check in time for this particular hotel is 4:00 PM unlike all the other hotels around the world. The manager’s attitude was extremely argumentative and aggressive. I decided to check out and leave immediately. On the way back to Amman, we checked the other resorts nearby and that made us realize the mistake we made.

Room Tip: If you have to stay there try to get rooms in the main building, that is were we had our rooms reser...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank iksweiss

Dear valued guest,

Warm greetings from the Dead Sea!

I was sorry to learn of your concerns with your recent stay and at the outset would like to offer my sincere apologies for the disappointment you have expressed.

However, please note that upon check-in the rooms reserved where not under the names of the membership card holder (Circle M) and had to be changed. Moreover, the number of persons in each room and the discounts had to be fixed as this was not informed to us upon making the reservation. Therefore, our colleague at the Guest Relations needed more time than usual for your check-in. However, as mentioned before to you personally you were checked-in to your rooms prior to 4 pm - our normal check-in time. Moreover, you had specific requests for the rooms which arrived afterwards. Please be informed that on busy days it does not allow us to give late check-outs to our guests, as this would push back the check-in time of our other guests even more and this is what our Resident Manager, Mr. Nicolas Pezout has explained to you as well.

Moreover, please note that a soft room renovation will be done this year to upgrade and refresh our rooms.

Thank you for taking your time to share your thoughts of your stay again with us.

Yours truly,

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Got a taxi from Amman airport for 40JOD, arrived a bit after 2 pm. Checking in took me 1 hr as the receptionist was too slow checking in other guests. Then went to my room on the 2nd floor. The room is very basic and the AC was not cooling as it should. I opened the balcony but that was my biggest mistake as I got mousquitos that kept bitting me for 3 days and nights without mercy. The hotel as a 5 stars hotel, should spray the place. Anyways, the walk to the beach from my room was very long. Like 7 or 8 minutes walk. I enjoyed the uniques swim in the dead sea! The hotel has a SPA but its prices are rediculously high ranging from 100 to $320 plus they charge for an entrance fee. Thas was also strange and never seen before! So none of us even though of getting in. Food was ok but again very expensive by international standards. Even more expensive than having a nice meal in New york or Paris. In summary
- I liked the dead sea swimming experience, the quality of food in the open buffet breakfast. That is all what I liked.
- I did not like the long walk to the beach, the expensive food price especially that the hotel management knows very well that you do not have any other options but to eat in their restaurant, there is nothing around the hotel so you are isolated, the expensive spa, the basic room for a hotel that is supposed to be one of the best, the mousqito's, the same entertainment everynight, they should learn from hotels in Sharm El sheikh where they have animation team to intertain clients everyday all day.
Am I going to return again? a Big No! Never ever!

Room Tip: Ask to cancel your booking and look for another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Fredsingapore S
Barbara S, Guest Relations Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear valued guest,

Greetings from the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea!

Thank you for taking your time to post your review of your stay with us here on TripAdvisor.

Firstly, I would like to mention that I am very sorry that your expecations with regards to our services and facilities have not met your expectations. We have shared your feedback with our team to improve certain points.

Please be informed that we do offer a club car service 24 hours a day in order for our guests to go around our resort easier and guests are able to order a club car by calling our operator.

Moreover, please note that we do have treatments at our Zara Spa which are priced below JOD 100, however, to enter and use our Zara Spa facilities our hotel guests either pay JOD 25 or book a treatment over JOD 100.

Furthermore, our pest control team tries their best to decrease the number of flies and mosquitos in our resort with diverse measures, however, it is also the season for the before mentioned.

Your present feelings are appreciated, however, I do hope that you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

This is a huge hotel with a number of restaurants and swimming pools. It is very popular with Jordanians and when we were there it was very busy. Be warned that check-in can be chaos - we waited 30 minutes to get checked in and we were only seen then because we kicked up a fuss. The rooms are very nice, the grounds are lovely and the setting is stunning. Make sure to go down to the beach for sun rise! This is a definite recommend.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Barbara S, Guest Relations Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear valued guest,

Warm greetings from the Dead Sea!

Firstly, thank you for choosing to stay at the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea. We appreciate your words and your constructive comments.

Please note that we are certainly steadily working on improving our check-in and check-out services to satisfy our guest expectations and we are trying our best to increase our service standards.

All of us were delighted to be of service to you and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Mövenpick Resort and Spa Dead Sea in the not too distant future.

Yours truly,