“Beautiful hotel, location”

Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Sweimah
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed here for five days, to attend a conference being held at the Marriott next door. After traveling a long distance, we arrived to a lot of commotion at the check in desk. After much ado, we were shuttled to our room in a separate building. Just like the resort and lobby, the room itself was beautiful and clean. The bed was very comfy and the bathroom was great. We had a balcony that had a small but nice view of the Dead Sea. Service was always efficient and polite. We spent a day down by the sea. It was a walk and quite a few stairs...but it is afterall the Dead Sea. It's not often that we get to wade in the Dead Sea. As for food, we enjoyed the breakfast buffet in the mornings, but took most of our other meals off site. The hotel property is definitely beautiful, with a fabulous pool. As for the spa, I found it to be fairly mediocre. It was beautiful, but never truly relaxing as I would have expected.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Barbara S, Guest Relations Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear valued guest,

We are delighted to read your kind review. It is of great motivation to our team to receive such lovely feedback. We would like to thank you for choosing our hotel and we would definitely take good care of you if you decide to return to our ‘small’ Arabic village.

Thank you again for giving us the drive to continue steady improvement of our services and facilities.

Barbara Steinort

Write a ReviewReviews (2,786)

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Very very large village style complex that leads down to the dead sea. Lovely outside areas, pool, gardens clean and pretty. I was only here for 1 night as part of a tour and I had just travelled from the UK that day. Was given roon card and told my bags would follow soon, after locating my room on first inspection it looked great, large, decorated charmingly with nice big bed. Unfortunatly on closer inspection I saw that the room was really dirty, the floor was gritty with dust, dirt and other peoples hairs. All the surfaces were dusty and had what seemed like someones left over tobacco all over the desk. I checked the bed and the pillows had stains all over them and it smelled like they had been used before.By this point I was still waiting for my bags an hour later so I go to call guest services to ask where they were and to complain about the room, the phone in the room was so dirty I had to clean it before I used it! After a few trys to get through to someone I was curtly told someone would be up and so would my bag, another 30 mins and I was still waiting. I popped my head out the door and saw my case wizz past on a buggy so I chased it and grabbed my case and took it myself to the room. I called guest services again about the state of the room and was told again someone would be up. They never came and by this point I was so tired and needed a shower after the flight I gave up and just slept on my towel! I was also woken up many times by a fire alarm going off outside my room which no one did anything about. On top of all this I get a call in the morning from reception the man said hello the told me to hold I was on hold for 5 mins then he came back a rudly asked who I was and what my name was, they didnt even know I was checked into the room.
On the up side the breakfast was really good with a excellent choice of things to eat, the scrambled egg was really nice. Also the rest of my tour group said they had no problems and said their rooms were fine so maybe I was unlucky.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who has trouble walking or unsteady on their feet as it is a really large complex to get around with hills and lots of steps also the dead sea area is really rocky and slippy and the walkways to the sea are broken in places, handrails wobbley or unattached so its extra hard work to get in and out the sea!

I am giving this 3 stars as my fellow travellers had no problems with their room and the breakfast was good.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Miss-M-Explorer

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel here on TripAdvisor. We are happy that you found our resort grounds very appealing and that you rated our breakfast as excellent.

Please be informed that we have reviewed your comments with regards to the cleanliness of your room and the luggage delivery service with the concerned departments and we have taken action to recover on our shortcomings. I do apologize for any inconvenience caused to you. In concern to the fire alarm, I am very sorry that you have been disturbed, but it was a false alarm and we faced a technical issue when trying to turn it off. We are currently working on enhancing the entrance to the Dead Sea and we do provide Club Car service all around the hotel, if a guest would not like to walk.

We do hope that you might consider returning to our resort during your next visit to Jordan, as we would like you to have a more positive memory of our hotel.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed here for one night and then had a late check out (i.e. very late at 8pm the next day) for an additional fee which was less than the full night room price. This was a good solution for us. However we paid around $1200 total for our 30 hour stay. We had two massages each, meals, some bottles of wine, and the room, so one might imagine a steep price. The spa was reviewed as being one of the best in the middle east. The massages were really not that great. I had requested a female both times but had a male - I wasn't totally comfortable with this given that we were in a muslim country. They surprisingly had no Jordanian food and proudly suggested we have Chinese or Italian. Part of the joy of travelling is the food, so that was a shame. The rooms were big. The Dead Sea was great. The pools were sexy and had great sunsets. They had good ice cream and wine. The sheesha was fun. All in all a fun time, so it gets three stars for sure. If you have any troubles walking on stairs or steep slopes, do not stay here. They have golf carts that you can call, but you still have to do a fair amount of stairs to get to them. My mother with some serious joint issues would not have been able to do the walking necessary just to get to the carts. Even for me (I'm quite fit) it was a deterrent to walk around given how far everything was. Finally, down at the Sea, there was a huge very sharp screwhead sticking out of a plank on the ramp leading into the Dead sea. It was in an area where everyone walks. My partner totally gouged a large chunk of flesh out of the bottom of his foot upon arrival. The medical staff was very attentive to try and sew it up, but the lifeguard staff didn't fix it or try to understand where it was until we really pushed the following day when we found it still sticking up. I'm sure many many people cut their feet on that spot. So I'm glad we stayed and glad to have enjoyed the pools and people watching on a weekend but am quite curious if the Marriott would have been just as nice....

p.s. Final note on the flies - oh boy! It was fly season and quite quite unbearable. I'm surprised they can't spray as most resorts might do around the world when they have particularly annoying pests. They had little fly swatters to borrow, but even using one hand to hold my book and the other to swat at all moments our bodies were still covered with tickly annoying flies.

Room Tip: Tricky - we didn't get what we reserved. The rooms with the balconies are nice and quite private...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Barbara S, Guest Relations Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear valued guest,

Warm greetings from the Mövenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea!

Many thanks for your candid review. Our team appreciates receiving your constructive comments and we are happy that we succeeded in meeting your expectations in general. Thank you for recommending our rooms, our recreational facilities and food & beverage facilities so kindly. With regards to Jordanian meals, we do have a Jordanian night in our ‘Al Saraya’ main restaurant every Friday and during the weeks we provide plenty of Arabic dishes on the buffet. Furthermore please be informed that our ‘Valley Café’ does offer Arabic sandwiches and light snacks.

With regards to your Spa treatment, I am very sorry that your request to have a female therapist has not been fulfilled and that it was not as enjoyable and relaxing as you aimed for. Our Spa team usually does ask upon making the booking if you would prefer a female or male therapist and then they book the treatment taking into account your preference. I am concerned to hear that your partner has injured his foot on our grounds and I can ensure you that we are looking into this matter. Unfortunately it is the season for flies at the moment, but our pest control team is doing their best to decrease the number of flies in our resort and make our guest feel more comfortable.

I do agree that our Arabic Village is quite big, therefore please do not hesitate to call our Club Car service, we are happy to provide the aforesaid 24 hours a day.

I wish to be of service to you soon again and I hope that you will take our resort into consideration when visiting the Dead Sea the next time.

Yours truly,

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed at this Resort early October. We were on a private tour of Jordan and our tour operator chose this hotel. We checked in around lunchtime and had to be taken by golf buggy to our rooms (there were 5 of us) in the "Village" complex, a fair distance from the main hotel building. We were disappointed: - 1. It was incredibly hot and we had to walk a long way outside in the heat to get to any of the facilities such as the pools, restaurants and Dead Sea. 2.The rooms were not clean, the floors (of all rooms) were gritty with sand, we had old food receipts from previous guests on the floor, my sister had used cotton tips on the floor, the mini bar did not work in my brothers room and the rooms generally looked tired and poorly finished. Not 5 star at all.

We only had one night at the Dead Sea and after initially making a complaint about the standard and cleanliness of the rooms decided that we couldn't spend all of our limited time trying to sort it out, so accepted it and went to find the Dead Sea which was the purpose of our visit.

It was a fairly long walk and since the "elevator" was not working, there were numerous steps to get down to the sea and of course back up! Coupled with the extremely hot temperatures it was a struggle. The flies that another reviewer mentioned were also a nuisance

We did attempt to eat at the Village Cafe but the menu was almost non existant and communication difficult. We had coffee instead which was small, cold and very expensive. We looked at the other restaurants but everything seemed to be very expensive and Italian and Chinese is not what I want to eat in Jordan. We eventually decided to eat in the main hotel at the buffet which was a good decision.

We suspect that rooms in the main hotel building could be a better quality than the rooms in the village. There is the added bonus that the "golf buggy carts" are lined up at the entrance to the hotel consequently if needed to take you to the pool or Dead Sea are easily accessible.

It took us 45 minutes when checking out to get a buggy cart to come and pick up our luggage. Even our tour guide was getting frustrated!

(By the way.... our tour guide confessed that they used to use other hotels in the Dead Sea area but because the Sea is evaporating and receding, the other hotels are a bit far away from the shore. Don't know if that's right but worth investigating if looking for a hotel).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank RosmaryMc
Barbara S, Guest Relations Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear valued guest,

Kind greetings from the Mövenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea!

Your comments are highly appreciated, as we truly believe that the feedback our customers provide us with helps us to improve our services and facilities.

I do apologize that your room has not been prepared up to the standard of our resort and that our Valley Café menu did not meet your expectations. With regards to the distance between the pool area/other facilities and your room I would like to inform you that we do offer club car service – you can order a pick-up or drop-off just by dialing ‘0’. Unfortunately the elevator from the pool to the beach is under maintenance at the moment, but we are working on this issue.

Once more thank you for providing your comprehensive review. Furthermore I would like to ask you to maybe think about returning to our hotel, we would really look forward to the opportunity to better showcase our service in the future.

Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

We arrived at the Movenpick Dead Sea only to leave again about 15mins later. At check in there was an issue with our booking with confusion over the rates for the room with the price charged much higher than we thought we had booked. In the end we decided to leave and it wasn't so much because of the price hike - we probably would have sucked it up even though it was more than we could afford - it was more because of the sullen, rude, dismissive attitude of the receptionist who looked down his nose at us and barely spoke a word as we tried to check in. So it was a problem that could have been resolved but was dealt with in an unacceptable manner. This hotel clearly doesn't understand the importance of customer service and first impressions. We felt like an irritant.

(although I must add that the valet was really nice and was very concerned to see us leave, asking if he could do anything himself)

It's a real shame and a sour end to an otherwise great holiday, cutting it short. We returned home to Amman, so not too far to go, but really spoilt our holiday. We had just travelled up to the Dead Sea from Aqaba where we enjoyed a great stay at the Movenpick there with courteous and friendly service. Perhaps the Dead Sea movenpick could send their staff down there for some training... We come to the Dead Sea regularly but will be cancelling a future booking we had with this hotel and going back to the Marriott next door.

Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank monkey3200

Dear valued guest,

Warm greetings from the Mövenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea!

I was very concerned to read your review here on TripAdvisor. I would like to thank you for sharing your experience and express my sincere apologies to you that your welcome was not what you have been looking forward to.

I would appreciate if you would contact me (Barbara.Steinort@moevenpick.com) to share more information and/or if you decide to return to the Dead Sea. I am certain that we are able to make your stay more than enjoyable and our team would be wishing for another chance to make it up to you.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

the hotel ambience is so wonderfull , rooms so clean food so dellcoius and nice place to spend 2 days at the dead sea , swimming pool and spa are great , staff and service at high level , despite the distance between rooms reception area and the dead sea but with the mini golf cars avliable around the hour so easily transporting inside hotel facilites

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Barbara S, Guest Relations Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear valued guest,

Kind greetings from the Dead Sea!

Thank you for taking your time to review your stay with us. We are delighted to read your warm feedback and we are more than happy that you think of our hotel so positive.

We look forward welcoming you back and providing you again with our finest service.

Yours truly,

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We just spent a weekend at this hotel and had a wonderful time. Unlike some other customers we found the staff helpful and friendly. It is simply a beautiful setting and the grounds with the trees, flowers and adobe village are spectacular. While the restaurants are expensive the quality is good. The only sour note was the young boys throwing stones at the ducks in the pond at the complex. Would recommend putting up some netting to protect the ducks. Also it does get busy on weekends, but the resort is large enough it never felt overcrowded.

• Stayed: October 2012
Barbara S, Guest Relations Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear valued guest,

Firstly we would like to thank you for taking your precious time to post your feedback here on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to be able to read your courteous comments and your kind recommendation to other travelers and to count you to one of our guests.

We would like to let you know that your comments are of great value and we would be happy if you would return back to our resort in the near future.