“One of the Nicest Marriott Resorts in the World”

Dead Sea Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Sweimah
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Any picture or review you see on this property will not do it justice. I am a platinum rewards member with Marriott and have stayed at too many Marriott's to count. In my opinion this is the nicest one I have ever been to.

Let me just get this one point out of the way. This place is clean. I mean spotlessly clean. The hotel is in the middle of the darn desert and should be covered in dust, but it sparkles. They must have a team of cleaning gnomes that appear after dark to scrub this place down. Kudos to the staff for upkeep.

The hotel is just in a gorgeous location with all of the resort amenities you would expect at a great resort. Multiple food options, different pools, a great pool bar, comfortable deck chairs... Oh yeah, if you get bored you can just stroll down the hill 30 yards and plop into the Dead Sea for a surreal experience.

One of the coolest things we did was go to the belly dance show at the pool bar at night. The lights of Bethlehem and Jericho twinkle across the sea while you sip your Amstel and smoke the hookah.

I would fly back across the world to spend a week at this place.

2  Thank Condyloma
Write a ReviewReviews (1,975)

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We love this place. A great hotel with great services and with wonderful room with lovely view of the Dead Sea. Another thing to compliment - the very helpful and service oriented staff. A great place to relax, we highly recommend this place.

1  Thank NicaSwan
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Now one of my preferred hotels. Good service, excellent facilities. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Great pools although the beach area was all stones. Good selection of restaurants with well-trained staff.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel; the grounds are wonderfully landscaped and there is excellent access to the Dead Sea with changing cubicles, plastic shoes and the essential mud provided at the water's edge. The main pool (used by the children) was great. The food in the evening and at breakfast was of a very high quality. Our rooms were spacious with wonderful bathroom facilities (a balcony would have been nice though).

The reason I am only giving three stars is because of the sub-standard service we received at reception on both check-in and check-out. On both occasions the staff were unfriendly and abrupt (on our arrival the attitude was verging on hostile). If it is beyond (or beneath) the men working there to be civil then I would suggest they are in the wrong profession; it should not be difficult to muster up a smile and a welcoming greeting to guests. This is in stark contrast with the Filipino staff working in the restaurants who were charm and helpfulness personified.

8  Thank Kayenne
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This resort is lovely, and has everything you would need to relax and enjoy the Dead Sea. Three pools to enjoy, lots of lounge and pool chairs, good service. The Italian Restaurant is really lovely - the vegetarian salad bar is really tasty. The rooms are nice, but small-ish. Free parking, very secure, great buffet breakfast. Not much to do off the resort though - but perfect if looking for that get away, pampering of a resort!

Room Tip: A couple of the rooms face the parking lot - avoid them. We got moved easily to a much nicer room w...
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Let me start with the positives

The public areas and the pools of the hotel are beautiful and well maintained
The restaurants are great, the food is tasty and service very good, albeit a bit slow
The views are amazing and the location is brilliant

And then it goes all horribly horribly wrong

We upgraded to a duplex suite as we wanted to have a view of the dead sea. We were told that this is just "one level" below the Royal suite. Well, that level must be as low as the dead sea itself, or maybe the royal suite is not royal at all. So here goes

1. The lounge was full of ants (see picture)
2. There was dust everywhere, especially in the balcony (see picture) - my poor wife and son spent half of their time sneezing when in the room
3. The bedrooms had more mosquitos than a tropical jungle, so much so that my son spent the night on the couch in the lounge after being bitten all over
4. There was dried bird dropping on the balcony furniture (see picture)
5. The bathtub in the main bedroom was rusted and chipped (see picture)

When I complained to the front desk, they promised to fix it up and to be fair, they did make an effort. However,

1. The dust still remained all over
2. The dried bird dropping still remained
3. As soon as it was dusk, the mosquitoes returned with a vengeance - I called the front desk for some mosquito spray for the room and a wee lad turned up. I went up to to the bedrooms to see what he did and then the mystery of returning mosquitoes as he did a couple of cursory sprays in the air and was ready to leave. I had to then take the spray from him and sprayed the beds, curtains, the sofas etc myself (only to find out that their was hardly any spray in the can he was carrying)

Again, to be fair the management sent a bottle of red wine as an apology despite my refusal (the bottle was returned unopened when we checked out) - no bottle of wine can compensate for the spoilt experience and expectation in a luxury hotel

Oh, and be careful when eating breakfast - we discovered a large blob of fungus in the juice dispenser (see picture)

And the buggy to the beach, while advertised as every 15 minutes, runs on the whims and fancies of the driver and never arrives on time.

The icing on the cake was when we were checking out, and the incident was probably rubbed more salt than the dead sea into our wounds.

While preparing our bill, the front desk staff by the name of Mohammed asked me how my stay was. When I replied "very poor", he completely ignored me, carried on preparing my bill, handed it over, took my payment and turned away !! He made no effort to find out what happened or even say sorry. So Mohammed, now you know. The front desk staff are the first and last impression of any hotel and staff with this kind of attitude should never be put on duty on the front desk.

So take my advice, stay somewhere else.

20  Thank Thejainfamily
Reviewed April 13, 2013

A most surly gentleman checked us in but things improved; all other staff were courteous and helpful. Everything in the room 'worked'-sockets near a mirror, good bathroom lighting, large safe.
Ate an expensive sandwich in the bar, all bread and very little filling, breakfast selection good.
Very well kept grounds and pool areas.