Estuary Island
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$76
  • Pool
$38
Travelocity
Joys Resort Poovar(Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum))
$68
Abad Harmonia(Kovalam)
$45
$41
Priceline
The Travancore Heritage Beach Resort(Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum))
$61
$21
$19
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewsboat rideswimming poolgarden cottagenice place to relaxback waterswelcome drinkhuge propertyindoor gamescoconut treesarabian searestaurant staffbeautiful locationexcellent propertyprivate beachgolden beachfree of costhotel boat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 4, 2013

This resort is located at the best location where you can enjoy back water, sea, river, ayurveda at the same place.

Excellent place for hide out. but make sure if you are going there, you will need to book a cab for your entire stay.

Happenings:

Enjoy a back water ride every time you enter hotel or going out.

Excellent view from the morning till evening.

The restaurant is really good which is on the tip of river where you can have food and enjoy your view by the sea.

The chef is been replaced of had improved in service. He have given a nice treat all the time even in 100% Jain items, which is rare.

Staff was good and helpful.

Not Happenings:

You have to take followup if you need to have something as a service from the staff.

Swimming pool was not working that causes problem as there was another pool at their other property was being use which was small.

They don't allow you to enter the pool with out swimming costume, which is true but they don't follow any rules of maintaining swimming pool, like chlorine water, and provide salty water. But for us they are very careful that we obey the rules :(

They do have a problems with commitment, 1 person will commit you which might be impossible, and again you go to them asking committed service they simply say that "the person who have committed is not here so we can't help you". But, during this kind of problems, Manager, Mr. Rajesh is always helpful to get problem solved.

Room Tip: Estuary View type is best rooms as it is having balcony which is facing sea.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
RajeshNair001, General Manager at Estuary Island, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for staying at our resort and evaluating our performance in detail. With 100% guest satisfaction as our objective, we are very happy to receive your appreciation about our location, staff and food.

Situated on the idyllic location of coastal Kerala, Estuary Island Resort is perfect for a languid holiday. We provide a host of amenities including invigorating massage sessions at the Ayurveda to help you unwind and relax. We are glad that you have mostly rated us with perfect scores. We have also taken a note of your feedback on our service and assure you that effective measures will be taken without any delay.

Once again, thank you for checking in at our property. It was indeed a pleasure to serve you and we would deem it an honor to serve you again.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

An experience to remember !! You are met in a jetty where a boat awaits to take you to the resort along the back waters, an experience you don't see at any other resort.

The staff are very hospitable, always with a smile when they serve you.

The best place you could spend your time is at the restaurant which is bang on the back waters, as well as overlooking the sea. Your view from there is just water !! Great

Food was excellent, from taste to the presentation. Had the sea food platter which was excellent !!

Room Tip: Worth a visit !!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
RajeshNair001, General Manager at Estuary Island, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

We thank you for opting to stay with us on your recent trip and for your kind comments. Our beautiful location along with superlative services proves to be an ideal getaway for every traveler. It is great to know that you liked the jetty ride, the only medium to reach our resort.
We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed cordial services of staff and liked our multi-cuisine restaurants.

We thank you for the feedback which acted as stimuli in boosting the spirit of our team. We look forward to hosting your stay again.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We arrived on a Wednesday night and it was a magical boat ride from the jetty to the hotel. The day time ride is okay, but best enjoy the ride at night or under moon light makes it a magical experience. From there we arrived and check in was an interesting process, and had a bit of a fright when we saw food left outside the rooms when checking in, we were wondering whether we had made the right choice...after this not so great start things got better...
We were possibly the only guests there apart from the MTV Film crew who were there for some tv show. The hotel staff looked after us considering the disruption from the film crew. The restaurant staff especially Rekha, Ajith, Mithun, Ibin et al, must get a special mention for all the special requests we made and was delivered.
Things they did well:
Looking after us, great food, service, star treatment. Having fresh fish from the river. The tea shop where they serve bajjis and tea, very nice!

Things not so good:
Main pool was off limits and was not in use, a shame as we wanted to try it out, they have 3 pools, the main one is under repair, the secondary one was reserved for the filming, so we were limited to the smaller Ayurveda pool, which was great but would have been nice to have tried them all.
Would have liked to have seen more traditional Kerala dishes on the menu as we didn't get to try things like Appam, etc... which is famous in Kerala
Would have been nice to post some pool rules so that there is no chance of any ambiguity between staff and guests.

Overall a very nice stay! Rajesh & Krishnan are doing a fantastic job, I hope they keep it up and my wife and I are looking forward to coming back again soon!

Guys do consider having a barbeque on the beach or something, I know we would have loved something like that as well as a few other guests who would have loved this. Also maybe a dance night it would have been good!

Room Tip: Estuary View Room, well worth it, Don't choose the cottages at the back as there isn't much of a view! Also food can be a little bit on the pricey side as there aren't other options in town so just be aware of this.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
RajeshNair001, General Manager at Estuary Island, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for staying at Estuary Island Resort and sharing with us your humble feedback. Our team strives to provide perfect stay experience to guests and they are delighted to receive an acknowledgement of their effort in your testimony.

Located on the southern tip of coastal Kerala, our resort is perfect to enjoy the bounty of nature along with warm hospitality and a plethora of amenities. We are disappointed to learn that you could not enjoy all the pools but assure that on your next trip you would enjoy the same. Your suggestions regarding the food menu have been conveyed to the team and will be incorporated at the earliest.

Thank you once again for your patronage. We look forward to serving you with perfect stay in the near future.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

As everyone says this is one of best located hotel and well maintained too. The view of the barrier bar, which is quite clean, the boat ride to the hotel through back water, good food were the positives which are good enough to make any guest happy unless they provide horrible service, which has just happened to us.
I had booked a estuary view room which has breakfast, dinner, 2 mineral water bottles, welcome drink and wifi as complementary. During check in they gave a long form to fill up, the details of which I have already provided during booking! And there was no welcome drink offered. Wifi which was included in my package has now become chargable! 2 bottle mineral water (not mineral it was packaged water only!), has become one. When I asked for 2 water bottles as per my package, they gave a silly excuse of saying earlier they provide 2 half litre mineral bottles, but now they provide only one litre bottles! Already pissed off with all these, I decided to talk with the manager. He assured me of free wifi, but internet was down the whole time!
The restaurant was really good, but service is poor here also. Naan, rotis were always not available, one has to yell for water! We had a feel that the restaurant is understaffed, pity on 4-5guys who were running all around to attend 30-40 guests at the same time!
The final disappointment come during check out! Now, the internet is down, so card won't work! They will only accept cash, how they can expect someone to such a huge amount as cash! Other option is to swipe the card offline, where I have to provide my details with cvv number which I can't provide for my card security. Finally after long arguments they managed to charge the card offline without cvv number.
Overall, if I take out the painful service it was a pleasant stay. Location of the property will call me again, but I won't take the risk unless I see vast improvement of service in the reviews.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Hriday J
RajeshNair001, General Manager at Estuary Island, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at our beach resort in Poovar and for sharing your review here on TripAdvisor.

Our F&B team is particularly delighted to know that you enjoyed dining at Estuary Island where our master chefs conjure up mouthwatering delicacies. However, we did notice your concerns regarding the service of the staff and we regret that due to it, you had less than a pleasant stay experience. We would like to inform you that we are investigating on all your highlighted concerns and assure you that amends will be made on all the valid observations.

Thank you once again and hope to host you soon with a perfect stay at our luxury resort in Poovar.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

As you can see in the previous reviews, the location is one of the best one can get near a sea. I was in great confusion when I read about the poor service and food. My expectations were too low while I booked this resort. I was prepared for the worst service and tasteless food as all I wanted was a nice location to spend the time with my family. I booked an estuary view room for 4 days starting from 01 April 2013.

I tried to contact them over phone but the calls were not answered for many days and I was finally able to make a call on 01 April. This left a very bad impression about the hotel in me. However the staff were happy to allow my wife to use their kitchen facilities to make babyfood for my son and I was happy again. They were able to guide me to the location. I started my journey with mixed feelings.

The staff directed me to tr to the Boat Jetty where I parked my car, The location of the boat jetty is as beautiful as the resort. As the resort boats were busy attending other occupants, they booked me a private boat. The boat ride along with the stunning view of the resort Jetty was unforgettable. (I later came to know that there is a road to the resort as well. I later used that, though the road is narrow and needs repair). I don't want to take space talking about the location and beauty of the resort as it is available in other reviews. It took 10 minutes for them to finally give the keys.( Other customers, id verification etc.) I had to wait until they verify everything. I expected a welcome drink, which was not served. I guess, these are the areas to improve.

The stay at the resort was pleasant and the food was superb. I think they have replaced the old chef, as I see a lot of reviews rate the food quality as bad. Blue Lagoon is a good choice among cocktails, if you wish to try. The hotel arranges for boating in the lake at a cost of Rs1000/hr, but I was able to strike a deal with a local guy (the resort hires his service in peak time) for Rs800/2 hrs. The boating was equally great. The Room was really great. Power interruptions were there but the generator was started immediately. Being a Keralite, I am used to these power cuts but that may create trouble for others. I never experienced the long power cuts(6 hrs) as said in the previous reviews.

Freebies: A 5 minute head massage, trip to boat jetty, trip to the beach, breakfast.

Housekeeping was also okay for me.It didn't take much time for checkout. For me the behavior of the staff felt more homely but I think they need to be more professional in their behavior. The card payment system was not working which would create trouble for those who carry plastic money. Some of the bathroom fittings in my room were not working, and were rectified immediately when complained. They need to make sure that these work well before the check in. Pool table is out of order, other games also are not in good shape. A lack of a system for the services was visible. Wifi is chargeable and is over priced. (150 Rs / hr).

Overall - I was satisfied with the stay and if the suggestions are accepted, then it will be a great stay. I know I cannot expect the service quality of business hotels or Taj at this price, but these are the services people expect when they want to spend some time away from the normal world.

Room Tip: Estuary View Room Has a Good View but the sea view is partially blocked by the coconut trees. Cottages are also a good choice if view is not important.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
RajeshNair001, General Manager at Estuary Island, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are grateful to you for choosing to stay at our resort and acknowledging it through your review. Our team at Estuary Island has extended their gratitude for your earnest feedback and has assured that they will implement your suggestions.

We are glad that you had a pleasant sojourn with your family at our luxury beach resort in Kerala and enjoyed your stay at our well-appointed room. Our property boasts of numerous multi-cuisine restaurants like Spices and Ripples, and we are elated to know that the food was at par with your expectations. We also take this opportunity to request you to try Deck Dining or Garden Dining on your next trip for an extraordinary gastronomic experience.

Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback, and we look forward to serving you again with another perfect stay.