“An experience to enjoy”
Review of Estuary Island

Estuary Island
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Puvar
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We arrived on a Wednesday night and it was a magical boat ride from the jetty to the hotel. The day time ride is okay, but best enjoy the ride at night or under moon light makes it a magical experience. From there we arrived and check in was an interesting process, and had a bit of a fright when we saw food left outside the rooms when checking in, we were wondering whether we had made the right choice...after this not so great start things got better...
We were possibly the only guests there apart from the MTV Film crew who were there for some tv show. The hotel staff looked after us considering the disruption from the film crew. The restaurant staff especially Rekha, Ajith, Mithun, Ibin et al, must get a special mention for all the special requests we made and was delivered.
Things they did well:
Looking after us, great food, service, star treatment. Having fresh fish from the river. The tea shop where they serve bajjis and tea, very nice!

Things not so good:
Main pool was off limits and was not in use, a shame as we wanted to try it out, they have 3 pools, the main one is under repair, the secondary one was reserved for the filming, so we were limited to the smaller Ayurveda pool, which was great but would have been nice to have tried them all.
Would have liked to have seen more traditional Kerala dishes on the menu as we didn't get to try things like Appam, etc... which is famous in Kerala
Would have been nice to post some pool rules so that there is no chance of any ambiguity between staff and guests.

Overall a very nice stay! Rajesh & Krishnan are doing a fantastic job, I hope they keep it up and my wife and I are looking forward to coming back again soon!

Guys do consider having a barbeque on the beach or something, I know we would have loved something like that as well as a few other guests who would have loved this. Also maybe a dance night it would have been good!

Room Tip: Estuary View Room, well worth it, Don't choose the cottages at the back as there isn't much...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
RajeshNair001, General Manager at Estuary Island, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for staying at Estuary Island Resort and sharing with us your humble feedback. Our team strives to provide perfect stay experience to guests and they are delighted to receive an acknowledgement of their effort in your testimony.

Located on the southern tip of coastal Kerala, our resort is perfect to enjoy the bounty of nature along with warm hospitality and a plethora of amenities. We are disappointed to learn that you could not enjoy all the pools but assure that on your next trip you would enjoy the same. Your suggestions regarding the food menu have been conveyed to the team and will be incorporated at the earliest.

Thank you once again for your patronage. We look forward to serving you with perfect stay in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Estuary Island

Reviewed April 15, 2013

As everyone says this is one of best located hotel and well maintained too. The view of the barrier bar, which is quite clean, the boat ride to the hotel through back water, good food were the positives which are good enough to make any guest happy unless they provide horrible service, which has just happened to us.
I had booked a estuary view room which has breakfast, dinner, 2 mineral water bottles, welcome drink and wifi as complementary. During check in they gave a long form to fill up, the details of which I have already provided during booking! And there was no welcome drink offered. Wifi which was included in my package has now become chargable! 2 bottle mineral water (not mineral it was packaged water only!), has become one. When I asked for 2 water bottles as per my package, they gave a silly excuse of saying earlier they provide 2 half litre mineral bottles, but now they provide only one litre bottles! Already pissed off with all these, I decided to talk with the manager. He assured me of free wifi, but internet was down the whole time!
The restaurant was really good, but service is poor here also. Naan, rotis were always not available, one has to yell for water! We had a feel that the restaurant is understaffed, pity on 4-5guys who were running all around to attend 30-40 guests at the same time!
The final disappointment come during check out! Now, the internet is down, so card won't work! They will only accept cash, how they can expect someone to such a huge amount as cash! Other option is to swipe the card offline, where I have to provide my details with cvv number which I can't provide for my card security. Finally after long arguments they managed to charge the card offline without cvv number.
Overall, if I take out the painful service it was a pleasant stay. Location of the property will call me again, but I won't take the risk unless I see vast improvement of service in the reviews.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Hriday J
RajeshNair001, General Manager at Estuary Island, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at our beach resort in Poovar and for sharing your review here on TripAdvisor.

Our F&B team is particularly delighted to know that you enjoyed dining at Estuary Island where our master chefs conjure up mouthwatering delicacies. However, we did notice your concerns regarding the service of the staff and we regret that due to it, you had less than a pleasant stay experience. We would like to inform you that we are investigating on all your highlighted concerns and assure you that amends will be made on all the valid observations.

Thank you once again and hope to host you soon with a perfect stay at our luxury resort in Poovar.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

As you can see in the previous reviews, the location is one of the best one can get near a sea. I was in great confusion when I read about the poor service and food. My expectations were too low while I booked this resort. I was prepared for the worst service and tasteless food as all I wanted was a nice location to spend the time with my family. I booked an estuary view room for 4 days starting from 01 April 2013.

I tried to contact them over phone but the calls were not answered for many days and I was finally able to make a call on 01 April. This left a very bad impression about the hotel in me. However the staff were happy to allow my wife to use their kitchen facilities to make babyfood for my son and I was happy again. They were able to guide me to the location. I started my journey with mixed feelings.

The staff directed me to tr to the Boat Jetty where I parked my car, The location of the boat jetty is as beautiful as the resort. As the resort boats were busy attending other occupants, they booked me a private boat. The boat ride along with the stunning view of the resort Jetty was unforgettable. (I later came to know that there is a road to the resort as well. I later used that, though the road is narrow and needs repair). I don't want to take space talking about the location and beauty of the resort as it is available in other reviews. It took 10 minutes for them to finally give the keys.( Other customers, id verification etc.) I had to wait until they verify everything. I expected a welcome drink, which was not served. I guess, these are the areas to improve.

The stay at the resort was pleasant and the food was superb. I think they have replaced the old chef, as I see a lot of reviews rate the food quality as bad. Blue Lagoon is a good choice among cocktails, if you wish to try. The hotel arranges for boating in the lake at a cost of Rs1000/hr, but I was able to strike a deal with a local guy (the resort hires his service in peak time) for Rs800/2 hrs. The boating was equally great. The Room was really great. Power interruptions were there but the generator was started immediately. Being a Keralite, I am used to these power cuts but that may create trouble for others. I never experienced the long power cuts(6 hrs) as said in the previous reviews.

Freebies: A 5 minute head massage, trip to boat jetty, trip to the beach, breakfast.

Housekeeping was also okay for me.It didn't take much time for checkout. For me the behavior of the staff felt more homely but I think they need to be more professional in their behavior. The card payment system was not working which would create trouble for those who carry plastic money. Some of the bathroom fittings in my room were not working, and were rectified immediately when complained. They need to make sure that these work well before the check in. Pool table is out of order, other games also are not in good shape. A lack of a system for the services was visible. Wifi is chargeable and is over priced. (150 Rs / hr).

Overall - I was satisfied with the stay and if the suggestions are accepted, then it will be a great stay. I know I cannot expect the service quality of business hotels or Taj at this price, but these are the services people expect when they want to spend some time away from the normal world.

Room Tip: Estuary View Room Has a Good View but the sea view is partially blocked by the coconut trees. Cottag...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
RajeshNair001, General Manager at Estuary Island, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are grateful to you for choosing to stay at our resort and acknowledging it through your review. Our team at Estuary Island has extended their gratitude for your earnest feedback and has assured that they will implement your suggestions.

We are glad that you had a pleasant sojourn with your family at our luxury beach resort in Kerala and enjoyed your stay at our well-appointed room. Our property boasts of numerous multi-cuisine restaurants like Spices and Ripples, and we are elated to know that the food was at par with your expectations. We also take this opportunity to request you to try Deck Dining or Garden Dining on your next trip for an extraordinary gastronomic experience.

Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback, and we look forward to serving you again with another perfect stay.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

About the location- One of the best location in kerala where you can experience the beauty of backwaters and sand beach at the same place. The venue is actually a heaven on earth to spend time for back water cruising, fishing, and beach.

About the service- its pathetic with poor response,interrupted power supply, pathetic administration with no coordination in b/w staffs.

About the amenities- Rooms are ok, and restaurant is very beautiful with sea front view. Break fast, dinner all ok.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
RajeshNair001, General Manager at Estuary Island, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. Estuary Island is located on southern tip of coastal Kerala; it is an island at the mouth of an estuary bounded by backwater, beach and sea making it an ideal fantasy location and ideal holiday destination.

At the hotel, we ensure that the guests experience a mix of relaxation and rejuvenation combined with an experience that they can take home. However, we noticed that your holiday was interrupted by lapse in service. We regret the inconvenience caused and assure you that these were rare occurrences. We would like to ensure that a thorough enquiry will be conducted to ensure that other guests do not have this kind of an experience.

Once again, thank you for the review. We hope to welcome you again.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Located in one of the most beautiful backwater location.. Very well maintained facility . But the service and administration is pathetic. Rooms were without power for 6hrs, no proper room service; poor co-ordination of front office team with guest and lack of administrative control... Sad such a beautiful property is not backed up with descent service and support and convenience....

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Sandeepn83

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. Estuary Island is a luxury resort in Kovalam in a serene location. We are situated on an estuarine island and bounded by backwaters, sea and a beach, an ideal holiday destination for those looking to relax. We are pleased to know that you found our location interesting and beautiful.

Nonetheless, while going through your review we were able to understand that your experience with our services was not upto the mark. We regret the inconvenience caused to you and assure that this is not kind of service standard that we maintain at our property. Our sincere efforts are to ensure that all guests leave our premises happy and satisfied.

However, noting your dissatisfaction our management would be concentrating on re-educating the concerned staff in order to deliver the expected level of services. Thank you for bringing these incidences to light and we hope to welcome you again to our property.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Estuary island resort is situated on an island about 20 kms away from Kovalam. In case you have already booked a room in advance, you are entitled to a free boat service from their private jetty on the mainland which is aesthetically designed. The resort also has a private jetty. On arrival you are greeted with a welcome drink,what else but coconut water. The Front lawn is huge and has hammocks, swings and beach chairs by the side of back water. Their is a machan also.
The rooms are good and have balconies from where you can see swimming pool, back water as well as the sea. The boats of the resort take you to the beach which is quite sloping and is featureless. You are allowed to stay at the beach till only 6 pm. Later you can sit by the side of the backwater or take a ride in the boat. There are a few floating restaurants in the water, their PROs enticing you to them with attractive offers. Over all its a very good place to relax.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
RajeshNair001, General Manager at Estuary Island, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

We thank you for choosing to stay with Estuary Island Resort during your recent trip and for sharing your experience with us on this public platform. We are glad to know that you had a pleasurable experience with us.

Estuary Island Resort is surrounded by pristine beaches and serene backwater that perhaps make it one of the most favored resorts in Kerala. We endeavor to offer opulent comfort and utmost luxury to the guests through well-appointed rooms that come attached with modernistic amenities. Our resort proffers recreational facilities like swimming pool and Ayurveda that act as a complete relaxation solution. We would also like to inform that our resort boasts of restaurants such as Spices, Ripples and Garden Dining for our distinguished patrons.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback. It would be an honor for us to serve you again.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is a hotel that is tucked away on the backwaters of Poovar away from the hustle and bustle, it has access to Kovalam and Trivandrum by taxi or tuk tuk and is the ideal place to relax and unwind. You are 76 Kilometres from lands end where the Ghandi memorial stands. The front office manager Raj is always on hand to help with any questions you may have and is happy to be of help in any way he can. The Head Chef will always introduce himself to you and is always prepared to cook anything you want. The main food is local and National curry dishes and the tastes are so much different from the commercialised curries in England. The restaurant location is excellent.

We have been to this hotel 4 times as we like quiet. The housekeeping team are excellent and cleanliness is top of the agenda. Nothing is to much trouble in this hotel as the staff are always happy to help.

Locals use the hotel and there are conferences for 2 or 3 days at a time throughout the year, this has no bearing on your enjoyment. We find this a romantic and picturesque resort on the Estuary.

Room Tip: Estuary view rooms or garden cottages are our preference
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
RajeshNair001, General Manager at Estuary Island, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at our resort and rewarding us with a five star rating. Your positive feedback, which is a testimony to our hard work and the stature of our property, has made us immensely happy.

Nestled amidst picturesque backwaters, Estuary Island Resort is a popular luxury resort in Kerala. We take pride in serving our guests with the best accommodation, facilities, cuisines and services; therefore, we are delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay at our resort. Your special appreciations have been duly conveyed to our staff and they proclaim equal pleasure in hosting you.

Once again, thank you for checking in with us and sharing your experience. We hope that you would continue to reward us with your patronage and support.

Rajesh Nair

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puvar
Turtle On The Beach
Turtle On The Beach
#4 of 52 in Kovalam
Uday Samudra Leisure Beach Hotel & Spa
The Travancore Heritage Beach Resort
The Travancore Heritage Beach Re...
#11 of 97 in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
The Leela Kovalam Beach
Vivanta by Taj - Green Cove
Poovar Island Resort

Been to Estuary Island? Share your experiences!