“Nice location, but ........”

Musee Christian Dior
Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Granville
More attraction details
Owner description: Dior's childhood mansion with a restored garden.
Fareham, United Kingdom
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Nice location, but ........”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

A nice walk along the promenade, and then a steep climb up steps which take you straight into the garden of the house. You need to be fairly fit to enter the museum this way - alternatively you can drive there, but parking may be a problem. We visited in August, which is when France goes on holiday, so it was very busy. They only let 50 people in the house at any one time, so we had to queue for 40 minutes, which was long enough on a very warm day. On the plus side, it does mean that there is no crowding around the exhibits in the house. It didn't really live up to our expectations - we thought there would be more about the man himself, but we understand that they change the theme each year, so another time it may be more interesting. The garden, on the other hand, is lovely, and entry to that is free. Also, there is a salon de the, although we didn't take advantage of this facility.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Lynda G

Ry, Denmark
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“A foggy visit to the home of an icon”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Within easy walking distance of our hotel a visit to Christian Dior's museum was a must and we were not dissappointed. Although it was a foggy day which blurred the view across the bay, we could easily appreciate the beautiful gardens and the colourful flowers everywhere. Entering the museum itself revealed a wealth of creativity brought to life by a true genius and artist through his haute couture which my wife particularly enjoyed. It was absolutely worthwhile going there and we would be more than happy to revisit some other time we visit Granville. Unfortunately you are not allowed to take pictures inside the lovely house.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Skorstengaard
Paris, France
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Worth it if you've the remotest interest in fashion or fragrance”
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Granville makes for a great day/weekend trip from Paris.

There's just enough info here to be interesting and informative while generally being a beautiful and memorable spot.

Interesting perspective from Dior's mid-20c. work through to Galliano's amazing theatrical pieces.

Link between art and fashion well explained with some lesser works by big names (Monet and Degas).

Beautiful gardens - mix of formal and informal with fairly interesting olfactive description boards which are scented with Dior fragrances. Left me wanting to know more.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank bermondsey_traveller
Squamish, Canada
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“Far surpassed my expectations”
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I wasn't planning to visit this museum, but when we got to Granville, thought, why not! I had enjoyed the haute couture exhibit at the hotel de ville in Paris, and this was even better. For the most part I was alone in the little house. The displays of clothing , shoes, hats and jewelry are beautiful. I even bought a book,and I never do that. The garden has little areas where you can smell the perfumes inspired by the flowers in that section. My husband and duahgter had a cafe cream in little floral mugs in the cafe, I joined them after going through the house- they didn't want to, and I assured them that they had really missed out. This place FAR surpassed my expectations.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank traveltoes
Mortain, France
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Memories of time gone by .”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

A must to see . Beautiful clothes .A timepiece . Anyone who likes the past and the clothes should make this a must on their list of things to see while in this part of France .

Visited September 2012