“Nightmare in Turkey!”
Review of Seher Resort & Spa

Seher Resort & Spa
Ranked #35 of 44 Hotels in Colakli
Reviewed May 19, 2012

Stayed here in June 2009 with our baby son aged 11 months, daughter 22 and the grandparents.
Rooms are tiny, hotel is full of germans and russians.
Nobody speaks English.
Food looks appetizing but tastes disgusting. I lost half a stone here so if you want to lose weight...go here!

Now for the worst....baby gets sick....very very sick, almost went unconscious, phoned ambulance, porter tells me i have to have passports,(in grandparants safe and they were out) delaying me by 20 mins getting to hospital.
Baby spent 2 days in hospital on a bed 4ft high off the floor (no cot). Doctors dont speak english, cant get any milk, nappies nothing! He has gastro enteritis from the pool and possible illness from too much chemicals in the water.
Dont even contemplate going here with a child.....oh and they dont know what fresh milk is in turkey, i had to give my baby longlife milk! I nearly had a nervous breakdown here!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank sunnyginny

Reviewed February 29, 2012

Following my written complaints and photos of that disastrous holiday .Thomas cook replied some months later saying ,"they did not think the treatment I received was bad and in their eyes they would not be pursuing they claims any further.Most of the staff had left the hotel and it took months to get any reply from the hotel. The Last time I ever use THOMAS COOK again.

Room Tip: I traveled sept 2010 but the above box does not cover this date
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
12  Thank RONSROLLER
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I live in Belgium so I have no issues with Europeans, but at this hotel you are treated like a second rate citizen if you are not German. We had a complaint about the room as soon as we arrived as we had booked a sea view. We were told that no rooms have a complete sea view, and that from the right side of our balcony, you could see the sea. This was true, but when my husband tried to complain, he was asked if he could please speak German as they didn't understand English very well. The maid for our room was extremely helpful and polite, but that certainly did not apply to the majority of the other staff. The young guy behind the bar (I don't like to mention his name here) was the rudest of all, and blatantly ignored us even when we stood in front of the bar. I was there with another woman at one time, and he totally ignored us for over 10 minutes, until a German guy noticed and got our drinks for us. We were fully inclusive at this hotel, and service seemed to be much better for those who were half board. The weather was excellent so I spent most of my day on the beach, therefore avoiding the hotel.

The rooms are adequate but extremely small for the cost of this hotel. The corridors are very old and scruffy as you can see in the photo.

Unfortunately, I got food poisoning whilst there and had to miss 2 of my booked massage sessions. They would not give me a refund as I had paid with a credit card - instead they gave me some face cream and body scrub - hardly the value of 2 medical massages! I was too unwell to argue the point.

The food is pretty good although a bit repetetive and not very hot.

All in all, I can honestly say that we would never go to this hotel again, and probably not to Side at all as it does seem to cater for Germans only around the whole area

Room Tip: I don't know how to get a good room as we had booked sea view and didn't get one. The balco...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Caroline W
Reviewed November 6, 2011

This hotel was not nearly as bad as some reviewers would have you think. Yes, we had issues here, but at least we remembered that we only paid a fraction of what some travelers pay to stay at an all-inclusive resort in a family suite. To start with, we did not have any issues checking in. Our room was ready as soon as we arrived and we were able to check in and grab dinner when we walked in the door. Our room was small, but extremely clean and the mini-bar was refilled every other day with 1.5 liter bottles of water and Fanta type drinks. We thought that the food was outstanding. The hotel offered a variety of meats, fish and vegitables, along with fresh fruit that was delicious. We enjoyed every meal. The pool area was small and always packed even though the main season has yet to start (trip was from 25 May through 8 June 2011), but on the flip side, we never had a problem getting space at the beach. Speaking of beach, the hotels beach area was very clean with a gentle surf. The pool bar also served lunch and snacks. You had be early and patient with the pancake lady, I think the average wait for her delicious snake was 45 minutes. On the bad side, The coffee was the worst coffee that I have ever tried to consume, and I'm in the military where we are famous for bad coffee. My wife also thought that all drinks were terrible, almost like punch. By far my biggest problem were the other guests. I felt like I was in Moscow because of all of the Russians that were here. I honestly believe that as a group, Russians are the RUDEST people on the planet. They are still trying to figure out how a line of people works. Russians had absolutly no issues with cutting in line.
Getting around the area was easy. Turkey has a bus system that is very convenient. We just walked a couple of hundred meters to the main road and waited for the bus that was displaying the appropriate sign for our destination.
Make sure you take Euros or dollars. We had a combination along with Turkish Lira which no-one in Turkey wants, however is you go to a museum or the Hisorical theatre in Side you will need Lira.
Finally, for the money, We received exactly what we thought we would. A clean hotel with good food that was located on a great beach for an unbelievable low price. If you are not picky or don't mind loud noise, I recommend this hotel. If you are Mr TightAss you will hate it.

Room Tip: Rooms on the North side of the hotel face another hotel's kids Disco. If you are lucky you can...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Militaryfamily_11
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Ok, did read alot of negative comments before we went away which left us feeling a little worried.

We went on the holiday paying a small amount for an all inclusive holiday.
You have to remember what you pay for, all the negative reviews seem to be nit picking and Im sure they did not pay a fortune for the holiday.

The hotel its self is quite nice being a cafe style bar in the main reception. I think they call it the piano room.
I got my hot chocolate there each night...the chocolate in the machines outside at the bar were awful so I suggest having them inside the piano room!

The Bedrooms are small, but average for your usual greece, spain turkey hotel. Our room was clean, quiet and adequate for what we paid.

The food is very much Turkish. There is quite alot to choose from on the day however it doesnt change much throughout the week. They have the same type of desserts too but as they always put alot on we survived.

On the evening they do new meals also with food from earlier on, same with breakfast which was a little odd!

We could help ourselves to the juice machines all day selling a few diff flavours and tea, etc, Also coke can be ordered from the bar.

Alcohol is on tap apart from cocktails, they are extra.

The main majority of the holiday makers were German and Russion. So the Kids entertainment was mostly in this language.

It took us a while to get settled in the place as with there not being many english people it seemed kind of lonley. Its nice to get to meet a few people from the uk!

They have a water volleyball game on the day, one for kids, one for adults. My partner found this fun!

The nightime entertainment wasnt fantastic but at the end of the holiday we watched a dancing show which was good and a terrible fashion show lol!

The beach is nice, lots of watersports but with both the hotel and beach you need to be up MEGA early to catch a bed...pop your towel on it then go back to bed...its worth it!

Not a great deal to do around the area but your rep will hopefully tell you about the market days and trips. The waterpark was good, however the markets a bit boring, same things everywhere you go!!

Side was lovely and much better quality of the clothes etc.
The apollo has quite a nice atmosphere.
There is a bus you can get to side, then another bus that takes you to the town itself.

Hope this has helped xx

Room Tip: At the end of the holiday, you can pay a small fee to keep your room on later if you have a late or...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Geordiegal007
Reviewed October 8, 2011

We arrived at 1am, booking in was easy enough, we even had a porter take our cases up to the room. The room was TINY, if you tried to swing a cat, you'd kill it. It was a bit disappointing, but we only used the room as somewhere to shower and sleep so not too much of a problem.

The resort is definately geared up more towards the German guests, although they do speak English. Don't bother trying to get a sun lounger after 7am, you won't find one, not even on the beach. Take a leaf out of the Germans book and get your towels down stupidly early, it's the only way.

Entertainment is hit and miss (not sure about the kids, we don't have kids). They start the day with a German song (10 am) which the entertainment crew dance to by the poolside. That's followed by water gym, 12pm there's another German song (it sounds like a kiddies song but the adults do the daft dance that goes with it), 2.30pm there's water polo which can be great fun.
Some of the staff are great particularly the woman who does the water gym and water polo. On the other hand, some of the waiting staff really don't like their jobs (or the guests, I'm not sure which) and are quite happy to make you aware of it.

Food is tasty if you don't mind experimenting, but again it's heavily catered towards the Germans and it could do with being hotter. If you want English food, you're pretty much going to be limited to bread and preserves or pancakes at breakfast, and cheese, chips and bread the rest of the time.
DO NOT HAVE ICE IN YOUR DRINKS!!!!!!!!! I did once, and it was a big mistake!!!! Make sure you take some Immodium, it'll be your saviour. The drinks are limited, the beer is pretty gross, although if you're into Vodka or whisky you'll be happy because the measures are generous to say the least.

The local centre is full of the usual souvenir shops (definately haggle your price, except for the jewellery shops) with a few bars along the way. Side (a 20 minute bus ride away) is a lovely little harbour town, well worth at least one visit. The bus costs about 3 turkish lira each, or 1 euro each.

The weather was fabulous and the Mediterranean sea was the warmest water outside of a bath I've ever swam in!

All in all, it was a fair holiday mainly because we met a few English people who we spent a lot of time with, but I wouldn't go back to the south of the country again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Yvette-Wartnaby
Reviewed October 7, 2011

I was very dubious when I read the reviews for this hotel before we went. I would like to say that most of them were untrue. It is true to say there are lots of Germans and Eastern Europeans there, but they were all friendly, polite and did not interfere in any way. The hotel was very clean and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. The staff went out of their way to serve you quickly. Waiter service at mealtimes was very good. As soon as we sat down they came and asked what we would like to drink there was no expectation of a tip and I never saw anyone give a tip. If you wanted to leave a tip there were boxes in the restaurants and the bars. The self service buffet was very adequate with a good selection and variation of main meals and sweets. The piano bar had plenty of comfortable seating and good bar service, same for the pool bar and the beach bar. In fact we found it very hard to find any fault with this hotel or the staff. We met some lovely people there and had a great time. The local bus went into Side every 5-10 minutes from the main road, a short stroll from the hotel, it cost 1 euro 50 and was about 6 km into the bus station. From there you could walk through the ruins to the shopping centre, harbour and the temples. If you found it a long walk you could get a ride back from the harbour in an open top bus for 46 cents. We will go back there in the future.

Room Tip: If you are not happy with your room, ask to be changed. They will allocate you another room next day
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank HappyHer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colakli
Seher Sun Palace Resort & Spa
Side Alegria Hotel & Spa
Maritim Hotel Saray Regency
Maritim Hotel Saray Regency
#86 of 334 in Manavgat

Been to Seher Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!