“Excellent in its category but make sure it's what you want”
Review of Alba Queen Hotel

Alba Queen Hotel
Ranked #8 of 42 Hotels in Colakli
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Excellent in its category but make sure it's what you want”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

If you've done a few of these and are looking for a good value yet high quality all-inclusive mediterranean family holiday then this place will be ideal for you. Big clean comfortable rooms, good choice of food, friendly staff and a sandy beach all at a price that still knocks spots of other Med destinations.

However, this place most definitely does typify the European mass market holiday and I think it only fair to set the expectations for those who may look at the five star rating and expect something more discerning. Some examples: the main self-serve restaurant can resemble a scrum at busy times; the daily early morning battle for poolside sunbeds is as frustrating as it is unecessary; the beach is a mass of permanent shades and sunbeds rather than the idyllic open vista you might expect; and the whole experience is punctuated by a soundrack of trashy Euro disco. No different from similar destinations of course but those looking for tranquility or true five star quality should probably look elsewhere.

Wi-fi is available in public areas but the service was poor and with little or no internet access in the bedrooms this alone is a serious question mark against any hotel advertising five star facilities IMO.

To end on a positive note however, I'm sure that families wanting a big, brash and fully catered sunshine holiday but with a bit more class will love this place.

Room Tip: Most rooms are advertised with sea view but in reality there are only a handful at the ends of the t...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank qpaaaaagh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Just returned from spending 11 nights at this hotel with friends. I cannot fault this hotel at all, from the friendly and helpful staff to the levels of service and cleanliness throughout the hotel. First class!!

Animation team are great at involving those who want to join in loads of different activities, without being pushy. Special praise for Lidya, Olga (Lady Gaga) and all the team.

Food was fantastic - an amazing array of dishes that were presented beautifully. Ali and Mustafa in the Pool Bar will always welcome you with a smile too. Bilal was also very friendly and helpful in the restaurant too.

Would definitely recommend and would certainly return to this hotel.

Side by night (approx 8 km and 15 mins by bus) is well worth a visit.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Caroline H
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

My friend and stayed at Alba Queen for two weeks in June. Our first immediate impressions of the hotel as we walked into reception was 'wow'. The beautiful chandelier and the decor didn't fail to impress. Upon check in the staff were polite and spoke very good English. They was keen to help from the outset.
The lay out of the hotel is practical and cozy and it certainly didn't take us long to find our way around. Some of the reviews on here state that the air con is switched off after 11pm but we found it to work all day and night. We comfortable slept with the air con on all through the night. The rooms were lovely and the tea and coffee facilities were an added bonus. The only down side is you get powder coffee creamer but if you ask at the the bar they will give you a carton of fresh milk to leave in your room. The mini bar was restocked everyday.
At the beginning of the holiday we did find that the waiters didn't want to pay very much attention to us and at times this did come across as arrogant. However, after about the third day of being there they couldn't do enough for us. They even remembered our favourite drinks and by the end of the two weeks they had mastered a very good white wine spritzer.
The pool bar staff were very pleasant, both during the day and in the evening. They couldn't work hard enough to please us. We felt very spoilt. The food in the pool bar did get a little repetitive and if they were to take any advice it would be good to see a selection of fresh sandwiches and banquettes for lighter snacking. There is only so many burger and chips one can eat. We only went to the buffet restaurant at lunch a couple of times and this was mainly because you have to dress appropriately, which is fair enough.
The animation team work very hard. However, compared to other resorts we have stayed in previously we did find this team to be rather more reserved. By the end of the first week we still hadn't really had much interaction with them. This did seem to improve by the time we left. It would be nice to see them interacting with the quests a little more during the evening time. The shows were a mixture of very good and average. We particularly liked the 'MTV' night and Turkish dancing night. We was a little disappointed that they didn't have a beach party while we was there. I feel this would have been good every week so that everyone can experience it. But all in all they do work hard and are generally very good at what they do, especially the dancing team.
The hotel is very, very clean. There wasn't a moment that went by when we didn't see someone cleaning. And this goes for all areas of the hotel.
All in all we were very happy with our stay at Alba Queen and it is by far the most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed in. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to go back. And as a single lady I certainly wouldn't be worried about going back on my own. I'm resort we felt very safe and even on excursions with the tour guides we were very well looked after.
A big thank you to all those that made our stay a very pleasant and relaxing one.

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Laura G
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2014

My boyfriend and I booked our holiday for 7 days, 2 weeks before departure. Great value for what we had, and we thoroughly enjoyed our week. The hotel was lovely & very clean, the pool was clean & very hot - no problems with sunbeds. The hotel was very quiet around the rooms and it seemed very peaceful although it was quite busy.
The hotel isn't an English based hotel, there were very few English people there & the staff spoke very little of the English language. The food wasn't great but it's what you would expect for a buffet. We tried to fish a'la carte restaurant and we were very disappointed. It was a 5 course meal with limited choices. We were put off from trying the Thai restaurant after our experience here.
We went into Side on two of our nights, by bus which was 4 lira each way with a 10 minute walk from the bus stop. This was very handy as a taxi was said to be about 60 lira. We went to a lovely restaurant called Aphrodite with our rep recommended, and we were very impressed. If we could of, we would of eaten there every night.

The food times are very limited, the buffet is only open for lunch between 12-1:30 although the pool & beach bars were open from 12 until 4pm. Outside of the times, you can't get any snacks so we found ourselves buying crisps from the hotel shop which were about 9 lira. Ice cream is only available between 2 & 4pm and the restaurant opens at 7 until 9pm which isn't long enough for dinner as it was very busy and over crowded. There also wasn't much choice of English food.

Staff that could speak English were very helpful and friendly. We sat in the pool bar every evening for a few hours and in the Lobby bar a few times.

We would definitely return to the hotel as we had a lovely week and it was very relaxed we were just slightly disappointed by the food.

Oh, and we came home with bites all over us from the room - not mosquito bites. We think our bed had bed bugs.

Room Tip: We booked a side sea view room which was perfect for the two of us
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sophie B
Birmingham
Reviewed July 6, 2014

3 female friends & I just returned from this hotel. We spent the whole stay saying to each other that we could not fault the hotel, 1 of us works for a large hotel chain so had lots to compare to. The hotel has gone all out to accommodate for everything and every body. For the me the animation team around the pool all day were great fun and got people interacting with them and their evening shows were excellent too. There was also a more relaxed end of the pool if you did not want this, I have never seen a pool the size this hotel has. There was plenty of loungers near the pool & on the adjacent beach. The food selection was fantastic at every meal time, again plenty of space to sit and never had to wait for tables. The staff were very friendly & clearly trained well to ensure guests get what they came for. The rooms were fantastic & modern, the cleaning standards were very high including the external areas, all day staff were there cleaning the external toilets etc.

Room Tip: I was concerned by booking a partial ocean view room that I would not be happy with this. But based...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Tina S
Komárno
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

We've been here 4 times and it was always amazing.Personally,i liked the animation team last year much more.Waiters made our holiday funnier and crazier.So in this way I would like to say big thanks too,especially to Yunus,Osman,Bayram and Bünyamin and to Mustafa from lobby bar.I would recommend this hotel for young people who want a lot of fun and for families with children. Greetings from Slovakia:)

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Sofinkaa
Newcastle
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Returned from alba queen 12th June, myself 4 children 2 friends and there children on arrival we were given 3 rooms I explained that my friends had only 1 child each but I had 4 so 2 in 2 rooms and 5 in my own when we got to rooms we were all given the same size room I rang the reception was told that it was the way my travel agent had booked room, and I could have an extra bed in my room if I like the room I had only had a double bed and 2 sofas to use has beds I explained that surely he couldn't expect us all to stay in one room when my friends both had same size room has me, he said I could upgrade for 1000 euros, yeah 1000 euros I told him doesn't matter he became quite rude to me then put phone down , great start eh, anyway apart from that I can't complain for the rest of the holiday the food was lovely always plenty of choice, the staff were so friendly and hard working, pool area great always plenty of beds, only other thing I was disappointed with was the animation team never seem them for first 3 days then when the kids aged 12-14 asked to join in were always told it's for adults the kids club was only up to 12 years, but anyway they made there own entertainment, I would defintley return to alba but would make sure I told travel agent of sleeping arrangements.

• Stayed June 2014
7 Thank Brandolees
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colakli
SENTIDO Turan Prince
#4 of 42 in Colakli
Kamelya Selin Hotel
Kamelya Selin Hotel
#11 of 42 in Colakli

Been to Alba Queen Hotel? Share your experiences!