“wonderful stay”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Gundogan
milton keynes
“wonderful stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

Travelled to the Baia as a couple beginning of July for two weeks Had a great relaxing holiday Got the upgraded room we had paid for with an amazing sea view Room down by the Jetty and a la carte rest Used the a la cart twice during our stay and have to say the service was much better than the main restaurant Found it difficult to get a table some evenings at the main restaurant , and this wasn't peak season . Morag the Thompson rep was wonderful Full of information and made a point of finding her guests each time she visited the hotel Morning noon or night Well done Morag!!!!!
Did a trip to Kos and yes the queuing at customs was long however 20 mins on catamaran you were in Kos. Went on the Thompson Platinum day cruise Lots of space on boat with food and certain drinks included Beautiful day . Have to say would return to the hotel Maybe not in peak season Well done Baia

Room Tip: upgrade to full sea view Worth it
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank itfcMiltonKeynes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

We have just returned from a week at the gorgeous Baia Bodrum hotel in Gundogan (July/August 2014)

We are a family of four - 2 adults and 2 teenage boys aged 14 & 16

Our first impression of the hotel was WOW! as we entered the impressive lobby to check in.
Our check in process was slightly marred by the hotel trying to push a suite onto us instead of the two double/twin rooms we had booked. My son is 6'2" so needs a proper bed not a camp bed and we weren't going to pay another £500 on top of the holiday cost. I did hear from another family with slightly younger children that the suite was lovely, though with put up beds, but they managed to blag it for free!
Slightly disappointingly our two rooms were miles apart despite having requested directly with the hotel for two rooms close by or even adjoining.
The boys were given a twin room in the main hotel building. Lovely balcony and very clean, although the air-con in their room was a little dodgy and by the end of the week was dripping water onto the carpet.
Our room was on the ground floor of block 2 (8 flights of steps down from the lobby!) Given the room didn't get a lot of direct sun and had a tiled floor it was very cool, had fantastic air-con and was very clean. Bed was a little hard for my liking but hubby didn't mind it. The steps weren't really an issue for us and in fact I think helped work off the delicious food (more info later), there was various routes to take which could include lifts if you didn't want to take the stairs but it took us a while to get our bearings.
All the amenities you need were there & topped up every day. Plenty of toiletries, I took my own hairdryer but actually ended up using the hotel one as it was just as good, fresh towels every day if you wanted them and the mini bar topped up daily also which was great. There is also room in the fridge to put extra bottles of water etc in.

No complaints about the food. We have a very fussy son and he found plenty to eat! Multitude of choices of fresh fruit, pancakes, pastries, toast etc for breakfast. We wouldn't have wanted it but as per previous reviews no full english breakie here!
For lunch we used the snack bar down by the kids pool. Pizzas and burgers cooked fresh to order, chips, spaghetti, salad .. something to suit everyone!
Dinner is in the main buffet restaurant with lovely tables outside. Good selection and a different theme each night but still with the staples of rice, chips etc to keep the kids happy. Plenty of salad choices too. Some nights a BBQ by the pool and don't miss the cooking stations out at the restaurant entrance as they often had lovely choices..stir fried chicken & noodles, mushroom pasta, spaghetti bolognaise.
Ice cream can be found down by the kids pool and at the main pool bar until 4pm and then again at dinner time.
Drinks are plentiful with lots of chilled bottled water freely available. The beer is Efes which hubby really enjoyed, not too gassy! The wine is palatable enough and the cocktails, including the kids alcohol free ones, have to be tried.

The animation team! Oh yes lots on here about them but I can honestly say they made my boys holiday! There was not a day went by when my boys weren't sat on the poolside at 12 noon for whichever wild and wacky pool game the team came up with. They also took part in water polo, volleyball, football, darts, table tennis and some giant inflatable football table type thing.
Yes the dances are cringeworthy and yes they do drag you up if you're not on guard but hey you're on holiday and who cares if you look like a fool - even hubby danced!
But for goodness sake Animation Team - we're from the Isle of Man! Not Azerbaijan! :D

The watersports team are just past the kids pool and although not part of the hotel have the same great customer service. The boys and hubby tried lots of inflatable fun and also jet ski - not cheap but good!

The staff I think are what make this hotel. The twins and young lads in the lobby bar looked after us like royalty each evening and work their socks off! Our room was spotlessly cleaned each day, in fact the whole hotel has a multitude of cleaning staff and floor sweepers. Katiryna the beautiful guest relations expert was simply brilliant. She arranged a lovely table at dinner and beautiful chocolate cake with full embarrassing sing song for our sons 14th birthday.

The lobby bar is a beautiful place to sit for pre and post dinner drinks and we spent nearly every evening there admiring the view and playing cards as a family. The boys did enjoy one of the animation teams evening entertainment and said it was very funny but hubby and I just found it so relaxing sat on the lobby bar balcony where there was often a refreshing breeze blowing.

Hubby and I also paid for a Turkish Bath. The very friendly Vahit will come around the pool and find you and talk you through all the options and prices. We would both recommend you give it a go as it's a real experience ... although it did scrub off all my fake tan! Vahit is really lovely and would always have a wave or a chat poolside whenever he passed by.

We also took up the offer of a Chinese meal one night at the Red Dragon. Billy will again come around the poolside (on Fridays I think) and for £20 per person will pick you up from the hotel in an air conditioned mini bus, take you into Bodrum where you can have a few hours exploring before or after enjoying a delicious Chinese meal and then drop you home. We had a minor glitch on the way home where the driver got lost trying to deliver a takeaway so it took us well over an hour back to the hotel! But I guess we saw parts of Turkey we wouldn't have!

Sadly we didn't find the time to walk into Gundogan village but don't think it was too far at all.

Couple of other pointers - mosquitoes! Didn't see too many but I did get one or two bites on my legs so repellent spray for evenings might be good idea.
Yes it's hot! I must admit to being slightly worried about how hot it was going to be in case it was unbearable (being Scottish I don't really do blistering sunshine) but the hotel benefits from it's location of being built into the hillside catching a lovely breeze around the pool and lobby bar.
Mind the wild cats kept by the hotel for pest control. They might look cute but my son got a nasty scratch off one he tried to feed.

All in all we had the best holiday and are already looking at going back again next year! Katiryna we'll be in touch!

8 Thank Diane B
Camberley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

Stayed 4-18 July as a family of 4, 2 adults, son of 20 & daughter of 17. We had a fantastic holiday & would definitely return. Everyone’s idea of a holiday is different so consider when reviewing other TA comments. It amazes me why some English go abroad and expect their eating habits to be catered for. You should go abroad and embrace everything about the country you are visiting in a positive way otherwise you may as well stay at home.

ACCOMMODATION
Excellent rooms with 6ft beds. We were upgraded for ‘free’ to a suite overlooking the bay with private covered side sun-bathing area.

FOOD
Happy with quality & variety. Staff worked very hard-always with a smile on their face. They do need more staff to turn tables around for next guests. Lobby Bar is great place to relax in the evening with a coffee although the boring nuts could be improved.

ENTERTAINMENT
A great animation team who we all enjoyed - special thanks to Mario, Jakob, Pinar, Atilla and Astan! In fact, they actually made our holiday. All worked incredibly hard, for long hours keeping us all entertained with a variety of activities The main reason we chose All Inclusive was so our teenagers didn’t get bored. Every morning and afternoon the team would spend around 1.5/2 hours doing activities around the pool and tried to include all nationalities and age groups.

FACILITIES
The pool area is lovely & very clean - plenty of beds & umbrellas. Hammocks need to be removed though. Beware as true Turkish Bath is not included so Thomson website misleading.
Ended up paying £200 for the 4 of us.

REPRESENTATIVE
A special ‘thank you’ to Morag who was genuinely interested in guests having a nice holiday. Plus she kindly offered me some insect repellent, as there was none available to buy in the hotel shop, which I was very grateful for after the first night!

6 Thank Cathy W
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

4th visit to Baia Bodrum and every time they manage to exceed my expectations.
Hotel is located on a beautiful bay and easy walk into Gundogan if you fancy a change of scenery or get a dolmus into Bodrum or Yalikavak. We were happy to eat at the hotel restaurant as the choice of food was immense with quality to match. The head Chef, Management along with the service staff are most definetly were the best I came across in Turkey. Nothing was ever too much trouble.
Don't go if you are not happy in peaceful, classy and beautiful surroundings and unable to entertain yourselves for a week or two. We will be going back for a long weekend in October to re-charge the batteries for the winter..

Stayed June 2014
10 Thank LymeGreen
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

I have been staying in Baia hotel for 2 years with a reference of my best friend. The first we had problems but we thought it could be improved and because of the location we went to the same place this year. Besides it was terrible with food and service during dinner, something unacceptable happened. The water sports woner, who is the tenant of the BAIA HOTEL, pyhsically attacked me,and they have this in survelleance videos, and witnesses. The management did absolutely NOTHING. The general manager promised to take care of this issue, and he was supposedly would talk to their attorney, all was BIAS, and the aim was me not to call the police at that point and close the subject in a smart way. They promised me that they would call me back with the updates. They have not even called me back. I had to call them 10 times and finally the gm got back tome saying, they will not hire this person next year. What a punishment!!!!)))) So, where is the apology and what did the hotel did to make me happy???? And all he was saying there is one month left for the summer season and they cannot cancel the contract. I may sue him by myself. And, if I know the laws and people very well, they will change their word during that period. So, dont forget you can spend 10k for a family vacation and you can be spanked at that hotel. And the hotel will only sent fruits to your room. These people has to learn the industry, there is so many more hotels with a great a management. I recoomend that you dont go here.And regardless to say I am a young woman , apnked by water sports owner in Baia hotel. What a uncivilized hotel!!!!!!!!

9 Thank Sema O
United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

We had a week here, expecting a relaxing break. I have given an average rating rather than poor because of the good points below, but I would not return to this hotel under any circumstances. There are far better ones out there for the same money.
First, the good points;
Morag the Thomson rep, is professional, pleasant and an asset to the hotel.
The staff in the lobby bar are always smiling and nothing is too much trouble for any of them.
Likewise, the restaurant staff very efficient and always pleasant and smiling.
Katerina, in guest relations, is as helpful as she can be.
The sunbeds by the jetty offer a quiet place to relax and it is easy to get into the sea.
The drinks are of good quality, named spirits etc.
Things that weren't so good;
We had asked for and paid for a twin bedded sea view room. We were shown to a very shabby and dated double bedded room with a side sea view. The bed was in a shocking condition, the bathroom likewise. This room was in one of the remote blocks and accessible down a dark dingy and very smelly corridor. We rejected this room, and after 24 hours of trekking up and down stairs and various lifts, including a filthy service lift and accepting a temporary solution in another block we were finally given what we had paid for and expected, which was a much smarter looking room in the main building with, yes, a sea view.
The pool area; in order to get sunbeds we very quickly realised that we had to be up by 6.30/7am and put towels on them. Resistance was futile- the early bird got the worm. Interestingly, the pool staff were seen putting towels on sunbeds early in the morning. These beds were not used until late afternoon, usually by Turkish youths. One day we were late- 8.30am and seeing towels on every bed, asked a pool attendant if there were any elsewhere. The reply was "No, all gone". About an hour later, he produced 2 beds from round the back for Turkish guests.
The tiling around the pool area is very dirty, with blood spots in some places and generally grimy tiles.
Do not go to this hotel if you want to relax by the pool. The loud, insistent beat of the music and the very loud commentary of the water games and aqua aerobics hosts were unpleasantly intrusive.
The food- well, plenty of salads, and a lot of choice of main dishes, cheeses and fruits. Puddings too. It all got a bit samey after a few nights, and the restaurant was very busy and very hot, but not the food, which was lukewarm. Eat early to get a table. Do not bother paying extra for the A La Carte "restaurant" by the sea. The waiter was on his phone the whole time, the food was horrible. Tough chicken salad- Mexican? A random kidney bean on a bit of tortilla does not a Mexican make. The tables were old garden tables, and we were surrounded by feral cats.
We ate out twice, which says a lot when we were in all inclusive.
The overwhelming feeling at this hotel is that it could be lovely, but it seems to be trying to cater for absolutely every taste in food and entertainment and failing.
Having been to Thomson Platinum hotels lots of times, I believe that this one is not in that league. Many rooms need updating. The standards of cleanliness are low. We had broken glass on our balcony when we arrived, and a cotton wool pad stayed there for 4 days and may well be there still. We asked for the very dusty skirting boards in our room to be cleaned. They weren't.

Room Tip: Absolutely insist on the main building. The blocks are awful.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Silky30
Carlisle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

we stayed at the baia in may for a week .The hotel is lovely clean ,our room was big clean and comfortable .our view looked out over the sea and jetty (stunning) .getting around the hotel was a bit puzzling at first but we soon got used to it . this hotel is lovely if you want a relaxing holiday with lovely food and great views . didn't like the fact we couldn't book the room for the day of departure as we had a late checkout ! they let you use the showers in the hotel spa but with people coming and going I didn't feel very comfortable or private ! maybe they should think about having a couple of rooms where late departure guests could use for a private shower /chance to get ready for their trip home

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gundogan
Rixos Premium Bodrum
#5 of 14 in Gundogan
Green Beach Resort
Green Beach Resort
#1 of 14 in Gundogan

Been to Hotel Baia Bodrum? Share your experiences!