“Awful experience”

Castello di Akyarlar
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Akyarlar
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Came here for lunch with a number of friends including locals. Service was young boys and girls who dont know how to serve. Our cold beers were left to warm up while they wandered around looking for cold glasses. Our meals came one by one - as one finished another arrived - and despite my wife and I ordering the same meal we got something completely different but were told that is what it was. Asked for the manager a number of times but he only came at the end. The manager is of the mistaken impression this represents "beautiful service" in his words - we paid in full as we couldnt wait to leave - and were charged more than the menu prices which he insisted he could do - and put our complaints down to "English always complain". Our local Turkish friends were deeply embarassed by his behaviour. Wont be returning.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank t j
There are newer reviews for Castello di Akyarlar

Reviewed July 9, 2011

We wertravelellingng in the Greek islands and decided to visit Bodrum. We booked at this hotel as it looked so good and authentic on the photos on RatesToGo. Despite having received confirmation from the booking site that our accommodation has been booked we arrived at the hotel having to find out that they were already fully booked and they had no rooms booked for us. The manager claimed that they had not received any info about our booking, he was not helpful nor hospitable at all. The hotel is located outside Bodrum and the 30min taxi drive that we had to organize ourselves costs us TL80 each way.

Room Tip: Be wary when you book this hotel on the Internet !!!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank OOGA_11
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I have been to many five star hotels and holiday clubs in different countries with my family, but this hotel is much more enjoyable. It is small, unique and set in historical buildings just by the sea at Akyarlar in Bodrum. It is comfortable, homely and kept very clean. The food is delicious and live music ensures that the evenings are entertaining. The sea is incredibly beautiful and clear with turquoise coloured water, it is shallow and has a sandy beach for kids to play in along with a nice bay for adults to enjoy. It has a friendly atmosphere and creates a family feeling between guests and staff, the owner Ibrahim is a helpful and cultured person who is always around to ensure your personal comfort and make your holiday stress free and relaxing. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Paul Trubody UK

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank paultrubody
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Nothing to write home about despite the owner's mistaken impression he has a rare gem on his hands, and I would not have written this review except: my friend and I spent two days there (during which time the room was not cleaned or the beds made) and after checking out and driving for about an hour I received a phone call from the hotel telling me my friend had left her cell phone there. When we drove back, my friend, who does not speak Turkish but had managed to express her dissatisfaction with the quality of the food anyway, was hesitatant about going in to pick up the phone, so I told her I would run get it. And this is where things turned bizarre. The dirty laundry taken from our room (a pillow case, a bath mat, a towel and a doily) was on display in their main lounge, where there were customers and staff witnessing this episode. The owner, Ibrahim Bey, was on a tear because the pillow case had some mascara smudges, the towel had a makeup stain approximately 2" x 2", and the bath mat had some dirty footprints on it, which, as it turned out, were made by the their own personnel as they were repairing the non-functioning toilet. As for the doily, there was a tiny little coffee spot in one corner, barely discernible. The owner, still on a rampage, and screaming at the top of his lungs, refused to give me the phone until the "matter was settled." I took the pillow case and washed it right there at their bar's sink just to show him how easily the mascara stain would come off, and even then, he took it, went outside, held it up to the sunshine and announced that the stains were bound to come back! As I started washing the towel he relented and handed me the phone, and I promply left the hotel. I cannot believe that in years of operation this is the first time someone left a mascara smudge on a pillowcase or some makeup on a towel. There are many many other hotels in Bodrum, you don't need to go to an average place where the food is practically inedible and the owner is a prima donna! Wish I had never taken th advice of the web site Best Small Hotels in Turkey. I hope this is not an indication of what their other recommendations are like.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
6  Thank Johanna7040
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Even I live in Turkey, over 9 years ı have spent my holidays in other countries especially far east and my last visit to Bodrum was 15 years ago and (just go to bars untill morning than sleep untill afternoon)Now I realised that it is very small part of Bodrum.

Even some reviews here which is not satisfied, I liked pictures of that hotel and I have decided to visit there as I noticed that Mr.Ibrahim is taking care his hotel personally and detailed from our conversation with him.
From the first minute our arrival everything was excellent,very kind boss and staff,

I have stayed with my wife and 6 years old son,hotel lacation was one of the best in akyarlar,2 meters from the sea,modern and clean rooms,
Rooms are not so big but it was ok,our room had a partly sea view as our room reservation was not fully sea view,

We can let our child to to be free as hotel was very safely and very near to the sea ,restaurant ,garden etc,

hotel have a private parking area,this was also good change for us after visit some places in Bodrum we never faced parking problem,

Garden was also very nice,some reviwers wrote that ,all the noises from the other rooms can be heard,
This situation is almost in most of the hotels,it is also related with the neighbours,
I can only suggest the management (this time before bodrum I have visited also Samos
Island it was same also there but ,it was first experience for me that type regulation)
rooms service is not every day and towel change,I expect to have daily room service and
towel changes,

I suggest everyone to visit Bodrum and Castello,Before it was so strange for me how people visit Bodrum everytime and stay long time,This time I understand..

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 2, 2008

From our arrival, we knew things were going to be bad. We were kept waiting for an hour in the heat by an inept, bullying and menacing manager while he disappeared to check our booking with his 'agent'. He retained my passport overnight and was reluctant to give it back the next day. He gave us a room with an adjoining door to another, through which we could hear every sound (this was particularly mortifying when our neighbouring guests had sex during the night - I kid you not, we could hear every sound, and were completely embarrassed). Hotel publicity suggests the rooms have sea views, but the pictures you see are of an old house being renovated. The hotel itself is a concrete block behind this. No rooms have direct sea views, and are all found across a mosquito-infested garden. The manager repeatedly emphasised the hotel's self-styled 'boutique' status. This was a complete joke. No soap, sink plug or shampoo in the bathroom, insufficient bedding, poor standard of breakfast and a staff that were completely bullied into submission. They also watched very move we made, which was quite disturbing. This was the worst hotel experience we have ever had. A classic example of 'Emperor's New Clothes' - no style and no substance. Just don't go here.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
9  Thank Worthingwanderers
Reviewed July 16, 2008

Do not even think about this hotel...

I have been in many countries,stay in different kinds of hotels. But this was the worst experience I have ever had. Our booking was for a double room with an extra child option. This is not very important but it was stated that there is a seaview in the rooms in the booking (Laterally they say you can see it if you go out from the room and elengate my neck:)) . When we go there they welcome us gently and they ask us to wait for a while when cleaning the room. Then they asked our credit card to charge the stay. This was not normal way of doing things but we give our credit card and they charged the money and their attitudes changed after this. They take us to a room where yo can put just two small beds. Because we have a child also this was not a sutibale room and we say this is not the room we reserved. They said they do not have another room you should stay here. So we did not accept it and want to leave the hotel. but they did not even give our money back. This is unbelievable but they did not give our money back. So we leave the hotel.

As a result do not even think about this hotel... Never ever...

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
8  Thank odabasi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akyarlar
La Brezza Suite & Hotel
#11 of 14 in Akyarlar
Swissotel Resort Bodrum Beach
Swissotel Resort Bodrum Beach
#12 of 97 in Bodrum City

Been to Castello di Akyarlar? Share your experiences!