“A disappointment”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Auckland
“A disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We visited Red Brick with a group of friends, a mix of locals and visitors from out of town.
The service was poor, with members of our group having to go to the bar to get a drink on more than one occasion during dining. Cutlery was not provided for sides dishes etc.
The menu was very compact but did have an entree option for vegetarians. Most of our group enjoyed their meals, however myself and my partner (who shared some of my meal and dessert) were both ill after dining. We won't be returning for another visit.

• Visited June 2013
mark p, Owner at Red Brick Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your experience with us, as I was the one who served you I agree you didn't get the best service as I was spread a bit thin. This is no excuse, however our restaurant is in Alexandra not Auckland we are very quiet during the winter months and we rely on bookings to decide how many staff we need as we don't get foot traffic. We only had 4 booked that evening, If your group had made a booking we could have put an extra staff member on. Our restaurant is compact therefore to maintain a quality product our menu is compact, we are very flexible with dietary requirements and have a range of vegetarian options available by request - there was no mention made and I am not a mind-reader.
As I was the only one serving you I can say with certainty that all cutlery was provided except one of your guests was missing a fork, my mistake which I redeemed quickly when brought to my attention. I find it petty, spiteful and extremely offensive that you suggest you have fallen ill from our food, we maintain very high standards in freshness and hygiene and we eat our own food every day.
I apologise again for less than perfect service.

“Heavenly flavours!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

We were a table of four and we shared the wild duck confit and breads with antipasto. There was lots to go around and it was all tasty, especially the confit. We were impressed with the wine choices and all tried glasses if different wines. I tried the seared salmon for my main and the others had the lamb and the beef. The wine we chose for the main course was a Shiraz Viognier which was just right. The flavours, presentation and service were great. I had just eaten at a top Queenstown restaurant (the Bunker) the night before and this meal was as good as or better. Love this restaurant! Alexandra is so lucky to have the Red Brick. I can't understand why there were not more people there. C'mon Alexandra - get in behind the best restaurant for miles!

Roxburgh, New Zealand
“Red Brick Restaurant Rocks!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Love the staff, the vibe, the atmosphere, and the food!!!!! The Staff go out of their way to ensure you have everything you need and cater for any allergies also. Although have said last visit is May 2013 I have been a loyal customer of this delightful restaurant for as long as the fine staff have been there and try to get there at least once a fortnight. I find the food innovative, especially as they use local produce such as Marsh's Honey etc and showcase locally made wines.
Their menu is not dated or stagnant and I love the way they change it to suit the seasons. Dining both indoors and outdoors is wonderful and relaxing with some lovely Otago style murals out side. The Red Brick Restaurant is a gem in Alexandra, in fact, in Central Otago. I couldn't recommend it more highly. You will find it in the Centrepoint Carpark beside Floor Pride and Video Ezy in Alexandra. Lyndal

Cromwell, New Zealand
“disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

recently went to the Red Brick for lunch..was very disappointed not only with the meal but also with the service. after waiting a considerable length of time for our meals, when they eventually arrived they were cold... on mentioning this to the waiter he seemed most uninterested and no effort was made to rectify the problem. OK maybe I made the wrong choice but for the price and reviews ive preciously read I expected more for my $$$

• Visited May 2013
mark p, Owner at Red Brick Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
It is a real shame to hear you did not enjoy your experience with us however you ordered "marinated mushrooms with orzo, feta, spinach and walnut salad" this is how it reads on our menu. There is nothing to suggest that it is a piping hot meal. What you got was exactly how the dish was intended, exactly what is written on our menu, Did you read the menu? It is one of our most popular dishes. I don't know how you expected us to rectify a problem with your choice when there was nothing to fault your meals. As for the waiting time, we are a restaurant and our meals are prepared to order, we don't think the 15 minutes you waited was excessive. Whilst we welcome constructive criticism we cannot be held accountable for your ignorance and feel your review is unfair and unsubstantiated.
Wanaka, New Zealand
“Discover this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We have had lunch twice in this restaurant once in the summer out in the lovely courtyard and once in the Autumn. This very simple little restaurant has one of the best menues we have found in the Otago area. We could choose anything on the menu it is all so interesting, the food always superbly cooked and presented

This time I had the chowder served with the best bread I have ever tasted and my husband had the Cassoulet with home made sausage, both dishes were absolutely delicious I have never had a more tasty chowder, packed full of all types of seafood and fish. My husband who makes his own sausage loved his dish too.

We would definitely revisit and would recommend this lovely restaurant highly.