“Unique”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Terra Viva

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monteverde
Terra Viva
Cook, Minnesota
“Unique”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2011

This was our first destination in Costa Rica. Having seen mixed reviews, I wasn't sure what to expect. We had a delightful stay. Sra. Muñoz was very friendly and gave us great advice on things to do & places to see (& how to get there). We stayed in the larger cabin and found it clean and comfortable. However, there was some sort of a bird's nest up in the ceiling and the bird would start calling out from midnight through dawn each night. Earplugs were helpful.

The food was delicious and was a typical Costa Rican breakfast of Gallo Pinto, fresh cheese, fruit, bread, and eggs. There were also a couple of cold cereals available. The kitchen in our cabin was decently supplied with utensils and dishes.

The farm is surrounded on all sides by the mountains and the views were beautiful. It was a great base for our day journeys. I'm just disappointed I didn't have time to explore Terra Viva's own trails through the Cloud Forest.

Room Tip: The big cabin is the best deal.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Morigue

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Marietta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2010

I recommend staying here; we stayed 3 nights. Federico, Gaudy, and the other staff were so friendly and helpful, arranging meals, making reservations by phone, arranging horseback riding (great deal!), doing laundry, etc. We enjoyed walking the trails and my kids experienced milking a cow and feeding calves. I wish we could have stayed longer and learned more!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

We stayed for 4 nights at Finca Terra Viva, staying in the larger, detached Cabanos which has two bedrooms and a kitchen/living room.

Let me start with the great things about Finca Terra Viva:

Gaudi, who owns it with husband Frederico, was just delightful - helping us make the most of our stay and organising taxis and trips for us. She speaks fluent English and could not have been kinder.

Our kids just loved feeding the baby calves, watching the milking and playing with the friendly farm dogs.

We went on a great horse riding trip around the farm grounds, with excellent well-behaved horses who took us up and down steep paths offering great views.

Breakfasts were big and plentiful, and included in the $60 a night price for the 4 of us & evening meals were prepared on request and were equally good value.

The problem was the cabin we stayed in was cold and damp. For $60 a night for 4, perhaps we shouldn't complain - but there were patches of mould growing on the walls and bits of plaster missing. We just felt it urgently needed some tender love and care, and we didn't look forward to going back to the cabin in the evening. Honestly, with the space in the cabin, we think it would be great value at $80 a night... but with a damp course and some fresh paint. As it is... we were glad when we reached our next, warm and dry hotel room.

The common area, where the meals are held, had no such issues it was clean, warm and comfortable & there are rooms above, which maybe of the same standard - so perhaps it is just the family cabin that needs some TLC.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Lou_Simon
Port of Spain, Trinidad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2010

This place is not for those seeking luxury. It is basic, out of the way and absolutely beautiful! The owners are wonderful, the food perfectly fine. If you want the experience of being in a working dairy farm, milking cows, drinking the milk directly from the source, riding horses on incredible landscapes and a sample of simple life - this is the place to go! We all loved it - grandparents, parents and three children aged 7-13. Look forward to going back.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2010

Had a great stay with "real" locals in Costa Rica. Terra Viva farmstay has lots to offer - beautiful landscape, vast forests, horseback riding, decent rooms, most of all great people ! Stayed for 2 nights. Horseback riding was amazing. Wenth through great scenery. If you are looking for good local experience, peace and non-commercial stay Terra Viva is the place to stay. Rooms are basic, but worth the experience is worth the money. Dont expect luxury amenities here.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Gainesville, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

Wonderful place. Got to milk cows and feed baby cows, really unique experience. There is nothing to do at night, but that was kinda nice. I was on my honeymoon so the lack of anything distracting was a special time for us to talk and...
The breakfast was free but was just bread and jam, nothing cooked. We didn't try the dinners. The owners were very nice and knew English very well.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
U.S.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2009

Hmmm. I must say, I’m surprised by some of the negative reviews regarding Terra Viva. I recently visited this pristine location in the beginning of July, looking to have a unique experience on a dairy farm. During the five days I spent on the farm, I think the most powerful part of my stay was having the opportunity to explore the surrounding mountains. I was in awe of the beauty that encompasses this area, and coming from a small suburban town in the states, I have NEVER seen such an exquisite landscape. Also, I was able to sample typical Costa Rican cuisine at its finest, prepared right in the lodge at whatever time I desired. I saw the milking of the older cows (vacas), had a chance to feed the babies (los teneros), and could have participated in many other activities including making of cheese (queso) and arranging of tours of the area by horseback. The owners of this farm, Gaudy and Federico, are by far among the most hospitable and accommodating hosts I have ever met in all my travels. They were more than willing to suggest activities to participate in, including walking the suspended bridges and zip-lining, and visiting the cheese factory in Monteverde. I never hesitated to ask them for more towels or in arranging another meal, as they were friendly and willing to engage in conversation. There is something to be said about any homeowner who is willing to go the extra length to open their home and life to tourists, most of which are visiting internationally. I developed a fondness for all of their 4 dogs, some of which liked to accompany me on my hikes through the fields, and loved seeing the ducks and chickens wandering about through the day. To sum it up, I felt very “at home” during my stay and liked not having a more “contemporary lodging” if you will. Terra Viva is nothing but traditional and very rustic, and it an amazing to see the work of a dairy farm in action. I stayed in one of the rooms in the main lodge and was not let down by the traditional architecture and clean space. Also, the sunsets, if you are lucky enough to catch one through the clouds, are absolutely spectacular! I have been back in the states for a week, and already miss falling asleep to nothing but the sounds of crickets, cicadas, rain (lluvia), and a gentle wind. I have taken much from my time at Terra Viva and will always be grateful to the family who helped to bring me closer to attaining part of my life dream to gain a better awareness and perception of other cultures and countries. I hope I have taken some of what I learned with me, and that I can share knowledge with others in the states….If you’re in Costa Rica, do yourself a favor and skip the typical hotel. Terra Viva is a real treasure.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo