All reviews cerro plano rooms are big hot water in the shower beautiful hotel main building cloud forest reserve rooms are clean zip line santa elena dampness los hike lodging
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We traveled with a group of 26 high school students this spring. The hotel was lovey and the hosts were very gracious and cared about us. I think the second floor hotel balcony has the best views of spectacular sunsets in the area. Breakfasts were wonderful and their restaurant, Restaurante Dikary had great food at very reasonable prices. We'll definitely return!

Room Tip: 2nd floor balcony facing west has wonderful views of sunsets, but even if you are on the first floor you can go up to the balcony.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank smog48
Reviewed March 20, 2012

I've been traveling to Costa Rica with groups now for 13 years and over the years have had a chance to stay in a wide-array of establishments. Around 6 years ago a good friend of mine, who also happens to be a driver for a tour company in Costa Rica mentioned Hotel Jardines to me. I stopped by and got to know the owner Dona Grace, and her husband, two daughters and son. Over the past 6 years, I have brought groups to the hotel and what I like the most of it is that is feels like a staying with my own extended family when I am their. This was/is pretty much a small family owned business that has grown and been expanded upon year after year. The owners genuinely care about their guests, constantly working to learn more about guest needs, and address them. If you are looking to have a nice stay, in a comfortable location, meet a friendly staff that really has put their hearts into service, come to Los Jardines. If you are looking for an upscale resort or a standardized Hampton Inn type experience this is probably not the hotel for you. Also, it is a great value, and Dona Grace and the staff truly want to hear feedback in order to improve guest experiences.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an outside window:).
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank Dave K
Jardines H, Gerente at Hotel Jardines de Monteverde, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

Thank you very much for such a beautiful Comment!. This motivation is very important to us and know we are working in the best way, it encourages us to continue in the quest to be the best, greetings

Reviewed March 17, 2012

I took my parents and sister to Monteverde on an overnight trip and we stayed at this hotel in two "superior" rooms. The rooms are very dated, no dishes or utensils for the "kitchen", only two towels and two tiny bars of soap. My parents are elderly (86 and 77). We looked for a thermostat to take the chill off of their room, but there was no heat. They tried to take a shower the next morning but had no hot water. My sister and I stayed in an adjoining room which did have hot water.

When checking in, I was told that my credit card was "no good" and that we could pay cash or try again later as were in a hurry to be in time for a tour we had booked. I was very upset during the entire tour thinking that something had happened to my credit card account. We stopped at Morphos restaurant (fabulous, by the way) after our tour for dinner. My card was accepted. We returned to the hotel, got my parents settled in and I went down to the dining room to use the wi-fi to check my credit card account. I had over $9,000 available credit, so there was nothing wrong with my card. I went to the check-in desk and told the girl (who spoke just a little English) that there was nothing wrong with my card.

She attempted to run my card three or four more times - finally she picked up the machine and I could see that it was not even plugged in! She made five or six more attempts to "run" my card and said their machine was not working. She said the owner would take me to the bank to get cash from my credit card in the morning! Cash advances are expensive and I have never used that option on any credit card. I told her I had travelers checks which are the same as cash and would pay with those - but was told they would not take those. We finally agreed that I would follow Grace to the bank in the morning, cash the checks and pay her. This took over half an hour of my evening to resolve in addition to the time I wasted the following morning waiting for the bank to open at 9:00am.

I would NOT recommend this hotel unless you have cash to pay for your room and you enjoy cold showers.

The staff was friendly, the breakfast (included with the room) just OK. The gardens were pretty, the balcony was shared by the rooms - not private.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Bruce_and_Mary
losjardines, Gerente at Hotel Jardines de Monteverde, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2012

Hi, we are very concerned with your comment . We would of liked if you had talked to us here at the hotel, because it would of been a lot easier to communicate and explain any misunderstanding with the hotel.just wanted to tell you that with your credit card was a problem in the bank's. banking system is very poor in Costa Rica and the policies of the hotel is not to accept travelers checks by now. With the hot water problem, we would of been happy to help you, but never reporting any problem. is very surprising that a room if I had hot water and the other not because the hot water tank feeds the 2 rooms we think it is quite possible that the keys are not correctly opened.

Reviewed January 14, 2012

My family and I have been to MonteVerde 5-6 times and last weekend we found this wonderful, family-run hotel right next to the crossroads of St. Elena and the MonteVerde Cloud Forest Preserve. We got a comfortable room with double and single beds, great breakfast included for around half the price of similar lodgings in the area. Can't be beat!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank Bob_and_Karen123
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Although our room was Ok , other members of our tour had rooms with no natural light, intermittent hot water, and the whole place was just a collection of shacks fastened together. We have advised our tor company not to use it again! Ther was little storgae space and the shower room was so tiny ther was hardly room to turn round.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends