All reviewscerro planorooms are bighot water in the showerbeautiful hotelmain buildingcloud forest reserverooms are cleanzip linesanta elenadampnessloshikelodging
Reviewed August 6, 2011

We stayed in two rooms, 6 people. The rooms were average: hard mattresses (which didn't matter because we were exhausted from hiking) and small bathrooms with a sink and shower. A couple of us experienced cold showers but quickly found out, after asking, that they forgot to turn the hot water on. My favorite aspects of this place were the breakfasts - home cooked tipico meals yum!! - and the sitting area outside of our rooms for socializing and relaxing. Everyone at the hotel was very friendly.

All in all, I expected to see some spiders and such around our rooms since we were staying in a forest. The hotel had everything that we needed for resting and bathing. If we stay here again, I would request the balcony rooms. We walked up the balcony and they had amazing views!

Room Tip: ask for balcony room. make sure hot water is turned on!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank FloydChick
Reviewed July 17, 2010

My family and I recently returned from a two-week trip to Costa Rica. We stayed in San Jose, Tortuguero, Arenal, Monteverde, and Manuel Antonio during our stay. I spent a lot of time researching Costa Rica and hotels through TripAdvisor before I left. I looked for highly-rated hotels that were also good values. I succeeded everywhere, except in Monteverde.

I chose to stay at this hotel due to the mostly good reviews. I traveled with my wife and two sons so the two bedrooms and refrigerator were appealing. I reserved a three night stay. When we arrived, the receptionist refused to take my Visa card, even though they told me previously that I could pay by Visa. Instead, he asked for my Debit card and I paid with it because it was too late to start driving around to look for another place to stay. This was a mistake, because the money came out of my account immediately. With Visa, it is easier to dispute charges. I also thought it was strange that only 2 of the 15 - 20 rooms in the hotel were rented.

The rooms were pretty run-down and not as clean as I hoped. My son was frightened by a large spider he found in his room. There was also a bit of a musty smell - possibly due to the damp environment. There was a kitchenette of sorts, but there was no microwave, and there were no dishes or utensils to use, rendering the kitchenette useless. There were only two glasses in the entire room.

Once we settled in, I tried to take a shower before bedtime. Unfortunately, there was only cold water and the water just dripped out of the shower head. I was barely able to rinse myself off and my wife couldn't shower at all. We decided that we could not live like this, so we went down to the lobby to complain and tell them that we wanted to check out in the morning. There was no one at the lobby except for a security guard that didn't speak English. He called someone, perhaps it was Grace - the owner of the hotel. She told me to come back in the morning, but that I may not be able to get my money back for the next two nights.

My wife and I barely slept that night. The beds were uncomfortable. There was a lot of street noise. Cars driving by. People in the streets. Dogs barking. A rooster announcing the morning at about 3am!

We went down to the lobby in the morning and told the receptionist we were checking out and we wanted a refund for the next two nights. It was a different receptionist than when we checked in. She said she couldn't help us, but we should come back in the afternoon to talk to the first receptionist. We did that, but he said he was not authorized to give us a refund and we needed to email Grace - the owner. I did that, but I never received a response after about a week. Since that failed, I am going to dispute the charge through my bank, but I'm not sure how much good that will do. I understand that the hotel policy does not allow for refunds after check-in, but I think that they should be obligated to provide a hospitable room in exchange. I also pre-paid for breakfasts and I wasn't able to get a refund for those, either.

By the way, we stayed the next two nights at the Trapp Family Lodge next to Monteverde Reserve and had a pleasant stay. Beware of Hotel Los Jardines. I honestly cannot believe that the positive reviews were made by paying customers. There is a good reason why only two of their rooms were rented and now we know why.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank CostaRicaVacati0n
Reviewed May 5, 2010

We stayed at this lovely retreat (in town but isolated) for 2 nights and were charmed by the friendly owners and staff. The second floor rooms are the best with nice sunset and gulf views. Several restaurants were within walking distance and the breakfast was excellent and served very promptly. They also have a nice spot in the garden to relax at the end of a busy day and watch the hummingbirds play. We would not hesitate to stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank reallyluv2travl
Reviewed March 4, 2010

Did the others who wrote reviews stay someplace different than the place I stayed? The staff was polite but other than that the experience was awful. 4 of us had 2 rooms on the second floor. The water barely dripped from the shower. The bathroom was more like an outhouse I used growing up. The walls were paper thin. The view is nothing that great. We had reserved 2 nights but would have left in the middle of the night if we had somewhere else to go. We didn't stay the second night. The town hostel had to be a better choice.

There was a huge wind going on and the window frames had gaps so the wind whistled through all night. In the morning there was a period of time we had no water at all. The staff said it was due to the storm. I'll give them the benefit of doubt on that one but when the water did work it was without much pressure.

I suspect some of the glorious reviews written here previously were placed by friends of the owners. We loved Costa Rica and stayed at several other highly rated places that were wonderful. My best recommendation is when seeing a highly rated place on Tripadvsor with just a few reviews, be suspicious. Don't stay here! I think a travelling companion will be reviewing this as well. She may have photos.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank ArtCook
Reviewed December 12, 2009

Our stay in Monteverde was delightful thanks to the place we stayed in. We stayed in a beautiful wood cabin with one of the best views in town. Almost ever night we would sit out on the balcony, eating and playing cards, whilst watching the sunset set! It was a haven of peace! Thank you to all the staff for making our stay unforgettable!!!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple