Hotel El Viandante
Hotel Fonda Vela(Monteverde)
$138
  • Pool
$119
Monteverde Lodge & Gardens(Monteverde)
$236
$229
Monteverde Inn(Monteverde)(Great Value!)
$71
Camino Verde Bed & Breakfast Monteverde(Santa Elena)(Great Value!)
$64
$62
El Establo(Monteverde)
$255
$153
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of $175/night.

$106
Hotel Belmar(Monteverde)
$199
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $233/night.

Hotel El Bosque(Monteverde)(Great Value!)
$50
$43
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbreakfast roomsteep hillcosta ricasanta elenahot waterwonderful hostsgave us great recommendationscloud forestevery morningstayed one nightroom was largehis wifenight tourgraceactivitiestowntours
Reviewed January 5, 2011

After spending 10 days in a luxurious rented house on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica, I was worried that this budget option (all the other hotels were overbooked in Monteverde for Christmas) was going to be a downer for the end of our trip. Well, we were very pleasantly surprised : the familily room was large and bright, we had room to "expand" with our suitcases, beach bags and mess. There was TV in English and French, which was handy one night after a hiking day. We slept very well with and without the wind (weather was trrible the 1st night), the room was clean and safe (we left our belongings in a locked suitcase when on the beach we had to lock everything in a special closet before leaving anywhere) and enjoyed the breakfasts. The Italiano-American couple was very nice and helpful in giving us advice on fun things to do. Free high speed internet on 2 computers in the entrance. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 23, 2010

We stayed at El Viandante for two nights. The couple that owns the hotel are very pleasant and extremely helpful. They gave us great suggestions for things to do and helped us book two tours and a shuttle van to our next destination as well. The room was spacious and bed was comfortable. The water in the shower wasn't very hot but it didn't bother us. The breakfast is fresh and tasty. This hotel is a quick 10 minute walk to the town below where there were some very good restaurants. A great value for the price, I highly recommend this hotel to all travelers.

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed December 13, 2010

My boyfriend and I spent a night at El Viandante last week. The owners (and their young daughter who we met) were lovely and made every effort to be helpful. The room was spacious and clean, and the bathroom had several packaged bars of soap and a hair dryer. The decor left something to be desired (e.g., a very cheap lamp that looked like it was purchased with no regard to its appearnce), but that was not a problem. Breakfast was good (cereal, fruit, eggs, toast, coffee, juice) though the milk was starting to turn (I admit I'm especially sensitive to this). Computers, books, and magazines were available for general use.

The biggest problem was that we were there on a cold night (55 degrees F outside) and there was no heat on in our room. We had to sleep in several layers of clothing. There was also no air conditioner, though that of course was not a problem. There was limited warm water. Finally, while trying to be helpful, several pieces of information the owners provided about major nearby attractions were inaccurate (e.g., group tours at Monteverde Cloud Forest are only available at certain very limited hours, but when we showed up there were official guides standing ready to take anyone for the group rate).

So while these were not my favorite accomodations in Costa Rica, we found El Viandante to be suitable and a good value.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank crims0ngirl
Reviewed December 6, 2010

My husband and I traveled to Costa Rica for our Honeymoon in Feb. 2010. We rented a car and explored the country with no itinerary in mind. We just rented a car and where our Frommers book took us is where we went. We found Hotel El Viandante in our Frommers 2010 book. We decided to call a few days in advanced and booked our room. The service over the phone to book was excellent. They were very nice and booked us without any issues. Once we arrived at Hotel El Viandante the welcome was nice. We had a lot of questions about tours in the area. They suggested the Zip Line tour and a Coffee tour. Which were both excellent experiences. I’m so happy they suggested those tours because we had so much fun. The rooms were cozy and looked recently remodeled. The bathrooms were clean and the hot water was nice! (we just came from Arenal where there was no hot water in our hotel). The beds were comfortable and we slept well through the night. We watched the sunset from their dining hall and it was a beautiful view! Breakfast was delicious and service was excellent. I highly recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2010

I feel like Monteverde/santa elena has either really nice hotels or backpacking hostels. This is a nice solid middle budget option. I was there for one night with one purpose - to see the reserve. Its a no frills place, but the breakfast room and a reading room above the reception area is really nice. Had I spent more than a night there I could see myself wanting to sit and read my book there. The website is more put together than the place but I still have only good things to say. The foam mattresses are amazing - they conform to your body nicely and I slept like a baby. Breakfast in the morning was filling. And the wifi worked in my room. The cable TV worked as well. There is an uncanny fascination with pine wood - even the ceiling was pine wood. I wish there was a sign from the main road!! If there is, I didnt see it. And also, as with most places in CR, you need to bring your own toiletries like shampoo. And like most places in CR, the towels are thin but get the job done.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family