“Would Stay Here Again”

Ranked #7 of 39 Monteverde B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“Would Stay Here Again”
Reviewed July 15, 2009

Here is what I liked about it:
*very clean with great showers, nice firm beds and a wonderful view
*small giving it more of a bed & breakfast feel then hotel
*reasonable price
*nice location - away from main street Santa Elena but close enough for a short affordable taxi ride with several good restuarants in closer walking distance
*great service - they helped us plan our activities and their advice proved to be spot on, very welcoming, complimentary breakfast of made-to-order eggs was lovely, good job with the laundry
*family opperated - young kids on premise made it homey (but they were not noisy or disruptive)

It is a bit out of the way so if you want to be in the thick of it stay somewhere on main street Santa Elena. Also the free internet they offer was not working most of the time we stayed. This may be true of anywhere in Monteverde area for all I know.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New Castle, Delaware
Reviewed March 25, 2009

Let me begin by saying that Grace and Renzo make this hotel seem like home! The rooms are quaint, comfortable and frankly some of the better accommodations I have experienced in Monteverde. If you want "western" style accommodations then fork out the couple hundred bucks for one of the nicer hotels. My partner and I tested out the hot water supply a couple times and never ran out! As far as there being no AC there is often no need for it in Monteverde, and leaving the windows open usually does the trick. The breakfast here was awesome and the b-fast room has some spectacular views of the town and mountains. Overall I think this is one of the best values in Monteverde!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
alahokie
Reviewed February 22, 2009

El Viandante was a great place for travelers like us who were looking for an affordable, clean lodging in Santa Elena, with a well functioning bathroom and plenty of hot water, and a full breakfast included. Grace and Renzo have recently completed renovation of their hotel (all new rooms, bathroom and showers (no electric showers) with new tile flooring throughout) and it is quite nice with great panoramic views of the area. Grace and Renzo were hospitable and extremely helpful hosts. The travel advice and excellent customer service were much appreciated. If you want help planning your trip in Costa Rica, start here and let them help you. They are young, energetic, well traveled and know the best places to go in Costa Rica. All in all - 5 Stars!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alahokie
Vancouver
Reviewed September 3, 2008

I was given a good room, very clean and quiet with private bathroom. The room was small, but well maintained and I felt at home there and enjoyed eight nights of better than average sleep. The breakfast is good, very substantial, featuring fresh fruit, juice, coffee, cereal, eggs and toast. The view from the dining room is spectacular. The internet access was a bonus, as I was keeping an e journal of this trip. The owners were helpful and very respectful. The value was great. I was paying $18 per night. My only criticism is the location. It's perched on top of a very steep hill, and there is no sign on the main road to mark its location. Climbing up to the hotel two or three times a day however, was great exercise and a good way to burn off the full breakfast they serve there.

• Liked — my room
  • Disliked — the steep climb up the hill
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Aaronbz
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed August 3, 2008

First, I have to be fair and say that the owner is incredibly nice and very helpful. I almost feel bad giving a bad review but I have to be honest. I expected this to be a low-end budget hotel and I was fully prepared for that. However, this hotel is basically and overpriced hostel. If you are ok with staying in a hostel, then by all means, stay at one. I am confident that you can find one cheaper than this hotel. We spoke with some travelers staying in a hostel that were paying $20-$30 a night with basically the same accomadations. Granted we only paid $45/night but we didn't get anything that was not offered at a hostel for $30/night at most. The reviews I read said that they breakfast was excellent. I had excellent breakfasts at every place we stayed except this one. The first room they took us to was upstairs and there was no air conditioning in the building. We asked to be moved immediately because it was extremely hot in there. The room they moved us to was right next to the reception desk and the "window" in the room was looking right out to the desk and had slots in it. We basically felt like we had to whisper all the time because we could hear everything going on out there and I am sure they could hear us. The room was like staying in someone's dank basement. The toilet overflowed twice (an NO we did not flush the toilet paper!!). It was stinky from all the moisture and although I don't think it was an unclean place, it just made you feel dirty. Again, the owner was super nice and very helpful with giving us tour suggestions but this place was very misleading. I assure you that we were not expecting much as the price was so cheap but I still don't think it was worth what we paid.

Now, as for Monteverde, it is the ONLY place where we were bored. If we would have paid for a nicer hotel with more accomodations like a pool, I think it would have been better. Monteverde is still really undeveloped (which it SHOULD be) and the hotels there are far more expensive than the other two places we stayed in regards to what you get for your money. If you travel there, I would plan to do a lot of activities like a canopy tour, guided hike through the forest, repelling, etc. I believe if we had stayed somewhere that we felt we could come back and really relax at the end of the day, it would have been better. We just couldn't relax at El Viadante.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cdmoad
Los Angeles
Reviewed May 25, 2008

We stayed at the Hotel El Viandante for two nights and for what it is (a budget hotel in Costa Rica) it was quite nice. Friendly hosts (who cooked a mean breakfast) and clean and comfortable lodging. Again, this isn't the Ritz and you're paying a fair rate - so the complaints I read about before staying here (which scared me to be honest) were insignificant after I got here. For instance, the shower - you just have to know how to get hot water (slow the flow down) to get the water hot.

This was my second trip to Costa Rica and El Viandante is what you will find for the price range. I just knew that I wouldn't spend a lot of the time in the room - that we would explore Monteverdeand the area - so I didn't want to spend a lot on something that we wouldn't be in just to sleep and shower. And El Viandante gave us that and it felt safe as well. Also - it was walking distance, though on a hill, to the town which was a great plus.

• Liked — The Value
  • Disliked — No View, oh well...
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Western Australia
Reviewed April 22, 2008

A fairly basic looking hotel about 10 mins uphill walk out of Monteverde town. What makes this hotel special is the owners, Renzo and Grace, who are so friendly and always available to advise on local attractions, tours (esp.cycling tours), etc. Renzo also makes excellent breakfasts! There's a small breakfast room, lounge room and internet area in the main hotel block, plus more accommodation in an adjoining building. The hotel was perfect for us and excellent value.

• Liked — Friendly owners
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple