“a good, restful stay”
Review of Hotel El Viandante

Hotel El Viandante
Ranked #7 of 42 Monteverde B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 3, 2008

I was given a good room, very clean and quiet with private bathroom. The room was small, but well maintained and I felt at home there and enjoyed eight nights of better than average sleep. The breakfast is good, very substantial, featuring fresh fruit, juice, coffee, cereal, eggs and toast. The view from the dining room is spectacular. The internet access was a bonus, as I was keeping an e journal of this trip. The owners were helpful and very respectful. The value was great. I was paying $18 per night. My only criticism is the location. It's perched on top of a very steep hill, and there is no sign on the main road to mark its location. Climbing up to the hotel two or three times a day however, was great exercise and a good way to burn off the full breakfast they serve there.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank Aaronbz

Reviewed August 3, 2008

First, I have to be fair and say that the owner is incredibly nice and very helpful. I almost feel bad giving a bad review but I have to be honest. I expected this to be a low-end budget hotel and I was fully prepared for that. However, this hotel is basically and overpriced hostel. If you are ok with staying in a hostel, then by all means, stay at one. I am confident that you can find one cheaper than this hotel. We spoke with some travelers staying in a hostel that were paying $20-$30 a night with basically the same accomadations. Granted we only paid $45/night but we didn't get anything that was not offered at a hostel for $30/night at most. The reviews I read said that they breakfast was excellent. I had excellent breakfasts at every place we stayed except this one. The first room they took us to was upstairs and there was no air conditioning in the building. We asked to be moved immediately because it was extremely hot in there. The room they moved us to was right next to the reception desk and the "window" in the room was looking right out to the desk and had slots in it. We basically felt like we had to whisper all the time because we could hear everything going on out there and I am sure they could hear us. The room was like staying in someone's dank basement. The toilet overflowed twice (an NO we did not flush the toilet paper!!). It was stinky from all the moisture and although I don't think it was an unclean place, it just made you feel dirty. Again, the owner was super nice and very helpful with giving us tour suggestions but this place was very misleading. I assure you that we were not expecting much as the price was so cheap but I still don't think it was worth what we paid.

Now, as for Monteverde, it is the ONLY place where we were bored. If we would have paid for a nicer hotel with more accomodations like a pool, I think it would have been better. Monteverde is still really undeveloped (which it SHOULD be) and the hotels there are far more expensive than the other two places we stayed in regards to what you get for your money. If you travel there, I would plan to do a lot of activities like a canopy tour, guided hike through the forest, repelling, etc. I believe if we had stayed somewhere that we felt we could come back and really relax at the end of the day, it would have been better. We just couldn't relax at El Viadante.

2  Thank cdmoad
Reviewed May 25, 2008

We stayed at the Hotel El Viandante for two nights and for what it is (a budget hotel in Costa Rica) it was quite nice. Friendly hosts (who cooked a mean breakfast) and clean and comfortable lodging. Again, this isn't the Ritz and you're paying a fair rate - so the complaints I read about before staying here (which scared me to be honest) were insignificant after I got here. For instance, the shower - you just have to know how to get hot water (slow the flow down) to get the water hot.

This was my second trip to Costa Rica and El Viandante is what you will find for the price range. I just knew that I wouldn't spend a lot of the time in the room - that we would explore Monteverdeand the area - so I didn't want to spend a lot on something that we wouldn't be in just to sleep and shower. And El Viandante gave us that and it felt safe as well. Also - it was walking distance, though on a hill, to the town which was a great plus.

Reviewed April 22, 2008

A fairly basic looking hotel about 10 mins uphill walk out of Monteverde town. What makes this hotel special is the owners, Renzo and Grace, who are so friendly and always available to advise on local attractions, tours (esp.cycling tours), etc. Renzo also makes excellent breakfasts! There's a small breakfast room, lounge room and internet area in the main hotel block, plus more accommodation in an adjoining building. The hotel was perfect for us and excellent value.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2008

Unfortunately, we didn't get the opportunity to stay at the El Viandante. Upon our check in we were informed that we'd been moved to another hotel. We were told that there were school groups at the hotel during our stay and we probably won't enjoy our stay. I appreciate them doing this, but this could have been explained to me several weeks in advance for us to make other arrangements or just as an FYI. Two school groups from the US don't just show up unannouced. They moved us to a hotel down the street, which for lack of a better term, was a dump. The place smelled very bad and had no hot water. The staff was understanding when we told them we weren't going to stay at the replacement hotel.

There are a couple of other issues at El Viandante. First, there's no visable sign to point to the hotel from the road. We searched around for it for quite some time until I was able to determine our location from the map from their website. Anyone staying there should pay very close attention to the landmarks on their map, otherwise you're likely to never find it. Also, I had contacted the hotel prior to leaving for Costa Rica to arrange some tours of the parks. I was told that there was no availability for a guided hike at Monteverde on the day we had available. Turns out that at the hotel we actually did stay at had no problem arranging this on the day of. So, you might just make arrangements on your own.

Overall, my experience was not very positive at the El Viandante. I wish there was a ranking between 1 and 2 stars, so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and go with 2.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Newman_5a_5
Reviewed March 2, 2008

My husband is an avid mountain biker and we wanted to have at least one location in Costa Rica where he could get in a good ride. Roberto who owns the Hotel El Viandante is an Italian mountain biker who offers excellent and complete equipment for rent AND guided rides of different durations. The hotel offers simple, clean rooms in a quiet location, with a very good breakfast offered as part of the room rate, which was VERY moderate! We had a nice, simple room and bath with hot water (Costa Rican style) and the use of a nice day room which included books, internet and a TV. The day room offered us an excellent chance to meet other guests from all over. Roberto and his wife also helped us book several terrific cloud forest tours, zip tours, etc., and his service was just exemplary. There are several really excellent restaurants in the area he also helped us located such as Sophia, Flor Vida, the Treehouse and lots of small, good cafes. Say hi to Roberto and Liz when you go!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2008

Roberto and Lizzy were absolutely wonderful hosts. They will plan any type of vacation that you want. This couple went out of their way to make sure you were comforable and had a wonderful stay. The Monteverde area is absolutely beautiful with georgeous views and friendly people.
They even invited us to go with them to Santa Elena on Saturday night !
They even brought us from hotel El Viandante to the hotel we booked in La Fortuna. I highly recommended the Hotel El Viandante because
the rooms are excellent and very clean, way above what I would expect for the price. The water is always hot and enough.
And the staff is so wonderful and helpful, they speak english, spanish and italian!
Roberto helped us so much with the tours (canopy,trapiche, night walk etc.)and we really enjoyed our stay in Monteverde.
We just want to thank him so much for all the work he did for us.
Margaret and Charles