“Great owners!”
Review of Hotel El Viandante

Hotel El Viandante
Ranked #8 of 42 Monteverde B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 2, 2008

My husband is an avid mountain biker and we wanted to have at least one location in Costa Rica where he could get in a good ride. Roberto who owns the Hotel El Viandante is an Italian mountain biker who offers excellent and complete equipment for rent AND guided rides of different durations. The hotel offers simple, clean rooms in a quiet location, with a very good breakfast offered as part of the room rate, which was VERY moderate! We had a nice, simple room and bath with hot water (Costa Rican style) and the use of a nice day room which included books, internet and a TV. The day room offered us an excellent chance to meet other guests from all over. Roberto and his wife also helped us book several terrific cloud forest tours, zip tours, etc., and his service was just exemplary. There are several really excellent restaurants in the area he also helped us located such as Sophia, Flor Vida, the Treehouse and lots of small, good cafes. Say hi to Roberto and Liz when you go!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 22, 2008

Roberto and Lizzy were absolutely wonderful hosts. They will plan any type of vacation that you want. This couple went out of their way to make sure you were comforable and had a wonderful stay. The Monteverde area is absolutely beautiful with georgeous views and friendly people.
They even invited us to go with them to Santa Elena on Saturday night !
They even brought us from hotel El Viandante to the hotel we booked in La Fortuna. I highly recommended the Hotel El Viandante because
the rooms are excellent and very clean, way above what I would expect for the price. The water is always hot and enough.
And the staff is so wonderful and helpful, they speak english, spanish and italian!
Roberto helped us so much with the tours (canopy,trapiche, night walk etc.)and we really enjoyed our stay in Monteverde.
We just want to thank him so much for all the work he did for us.
Margaret and Charles

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DALLASGirl77
Reviewed January 30, 2008

The El Viandante met our accomodation needs adequately. The place was clean and the breakfast, cooked by Roberto the manager, excellent. The family atmosphere was also a bonus enjoyed by my husband and myself.

Roberto, gave excellent activity suggestions, and I would recommend his tours for anyone who wants to mountainbike in Monteverde.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank jibacoababe
Reviewed January 15, 2008

I know it is a discounted rate, but come on. I have no problems staying in hostels, but this was not advertised or priced like a hostel. If it had been a hostel, I woudn't even rate it a nice one.
I thought we'd be staying in a hotel and at $40+ a night I expected a budget hotel. This is not even that. Cold showers, no water pressure, uncomfortable beds, rough sheets, lamps that don't work, hot rooms, noisy construction. We didn't eat the breakfast so I can't rate that. We gave it one night, had reserved for two. When we tried to depart early because we were not given what was described, I have never been treated so poorly. Viandante, you provide what you described and I will gladly pay for what is described, but you did not hold up to your end of the deal.

When customers complain, you should take it as constructive criticism to help improve your establishment and not fight the customers that are paying you. That's called customer service. Try it.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank kimpunzel
elviandante, Director at Hotel El Viandante, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2008

I cannot remain silent after this terrible and unfair review
First of all the people arriving had booked a standard room and was given a superior room with 2 double beds and 2 bathrooms
They entered the room in the afternoon and they were happy with the accomodation.
They passed the afternoon requesting informations and I very kindly provided them everything they asked for
The next morning they had breakfast very quietly without mentioning problems with the room.
They went for a tour and later returned to the hotel saying that they did not have hot water and that the structure had moved.
I immediately went into theur room and I turned on the shower, the water was hot, and the room was in silence.
The wind in November and December is very strong and what they heard at night was not the hotel moving but the wind striking the walls
I told them that if they wanted to leave the hotel they had to find other excuses and not invent things that don´t exist.
They had never said about the cleaning, nor about the old scratchy ben linen.
I think that if these problems had been found, they´d said immediately in the morning, at breakfast and not smiling, then leave for a tpur as if nothing had happened.
What I think is that in Monteverde they had done everything and did not want to stay any longer
It would have been more honest to say than to make up problems.
I dindn´t charge them the second night, something that I should have done, and then they repay with a false review and large contradictory.
The hotel El Viandante sleeps with a clear conscience, these tourists .......................................I don't know

Reviewed January 14, 2008

If you want a nice hot shower, this is NOT the place to stay. There was barely a trickle at the start and it did not last very long. The shower head was connected to electrical wiring and did not look very safe. Check out the candid photos I took.

The rooms themselves were subpar - even for a discount hotel. There was nothing "modern" about this hotel as some places have suggested. Everything had a cheap and crappy feel. We definatley did not feel comfortable. The beds themselves were made from super hard foam. It was the worst sleep I had on our trip.

It was so bad, that we checked out of our hotel in the morning. We reserved 3 nights online, but only stayed 1. The manager intially wanted us to pay for all 3 nights, but we negoitated to pay for 2 nights. We got a nice suprise on our return to find out that they charged us for the 3rd night on our visa a few days later!

Do yourself a favour - pay a little extra and stay somewhere else. You are on vacation and you should enjoy your hotel. El Viadante is El crapo. Worst hole-tel we have every stayed in.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Couple_of_Canadians
Reviewed January 6, 2008

I read a bunch of good reviews about this place, and having gone, frankly, I cannot understand what these people were thinking. I would hardly call it a hotel, more like a glorified hostel. It wasn't very clean, no screens on the windows, so bugs could easily get in and did. The sheets were old and scratchy, and the "lobby" smelled like a bathroom. On top of these shortcomings, our room faced a construction site which started up work at 6 am sharp, and there was no hot water in the shower. We decided after 1 night of lodging there that we were going to try and check out, and when I went to the front desk to ask about it, the woman there got the manager, and I explained our complaints...being the construction waking us up at 6 am with jackhammers, and there being no hot water. He promptly became combative and told me that the noise I was hearing wasn't construction but the wind. We went back to the room so he could prove that there was hot water, he turned on the tap, and tepid water came out. So I don't know if they turn it on for certain hours of the day, but there wasn't any hot (or tepid) water that morning. After showing me the hot water, he then started to accuse me of having "motives", at this point, we weren't going to stay regardless of whether or not we were going to have to pay. The Manager's reaction was so unprofessional and disturbing, neither I nor my friend felt comfortable staying there. He told us that if we wanted to leave, we had to leave now. So we packed up our belongings and I went to the front desk to check-out, and he ended up not charging us for the second night which was the only positive thing that came out of this experience. Do not stay here, unless you enjoy sub-par accommodations.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank onesunnyday77
Reviewed January 6, 2008

The rooms were simple and plain, but clean. The beds were incredibly hard (for better or worse). There is hot water, but not a lot of water pressure. We moved to the second building to avoid the rooms next to the dining area and TV area to avoid the noise of those areas. Roberto was very nice and helpful and gave some good suggestions for things, but also overcharged us for the van-jeep-van to Arenal (we paid $26 and most people paid $20-$22). Breakfast is included, but was just okay at best (eggs, toast, fruit, corn flakes). The free Internet is also a nice perk, but it is very slow. We spent $45/night for a double and felt we got our money’s worth, but also wish we spent a few extra dollars for the next class higher. I'd also recommend getting a place closer to town (for convenience purposes).

Stayed: December 2007