“great place to stay”
Review of Hotel El Viandante

Hotel El Viandante
Ranked #7 of 42 Monteverde B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 22, 2007

we stayed 2 nights at El Viandante, we booked a room with 2 double beds and 2 bathrooms with ocean's view....we saw the ocean only for a couple of minutes because it was always claudy...we liked the hotel, the room was big enough for 4 people, was clean and the owners very helpfull....the breakfast was the best we ever had in costa rica, the only suggestion that i can give at the owners it's to build a restaurant in the hotel...will be much better!!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank viajeroschicago

Reviewed December 10, 2007

I was in Costa Rica for a week with my wife and spent two nights in Monteverde. The drive there from Arenal was a bit rough, but not as bad as advertised, and we loved Monteverde. Our only downer was this hotel.

First the pros.
The staff is friendly and helpful.
It is cheap (but you get what you pay for...). $45 including breakfast.
The breakfast is very good (but not great as others have suggested).
The location is quite good (halfway between town and the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve.)
There is free internet with 3 computers available.
The bed was firm but comfortable.
The room was clean.

Now, unfortunately, the cons in this case outweigh the pros by a very large margin. We stayed in room #8.

First off, this may have to do with which room we got (other rooms may be better but our room is the only one I can review), but during the daytime, it was like a greenhouse in the room. There were windows that cannot be opened, and they face an aluminum roof. The sun would bounce off the roof and then back into the windows and it superheated the room. It was not physically possible to spend any of the daylight hours in the room it was so hot (and I am generally cold and prefer warmer environs!). There was no fan. The window that we could open (or tilt open actually) faced the lobby/staircase so that we could hear everything that everyone in the lobby said and every loud footstep as people went up or down the stairs.
The room was small but this did not bother me or my wife.
The bathroom was the biggest problem. The bathroom is sort of private. Actually, if you stuck your hand along the windows you could reach into the bathroom. That wasn't the real problem though. The water pressure in the barely working sink was virtually nonexistent. The shower water pressure was poor and the water was barely lukewarm. The shower or plumbing had some sort of leak that caused the bathroom floor to get covered in water despite taking a very brief shower. This water then ran into the main bedroom area. All around this was not good on many different levels.

All in all, this was easily the worst place we stayed on our great trip to Costa Rica. We also stayed at the Fonda Vela in Monteverde. Now, that cost almost 3 times as much but was ten times better. Maybe the other rooms at El Viandante are better, but there is no way I would ever stay in room #8. If you need a budget hotel it could work for you, but don't let the reviews here fool you - it is cheap for a reason.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank detifoss
Reviewed October 18, 2007

This is a great hotel! Well located, great staff service (Roberto knows everything about the tours and will provide you with very sincere statements about all what you can do in Monteverde).

The hotel does not have wireless internet connexion, but you may access in the lobby.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank 44ase
Reviewed September 25, 2007

Stayed at el Viandante in August 2007. Booked in for 3 nights. Liz and all her staff were fantastic (Roberto is the best front of house ever).

The hotel is spotless, the breakfast superb but what makes it the best is the help and information that all the staff give you. The rides into the town centre (and back) are a real bonus.

Just don't look anywhere else-- it cannot be bettered.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank PenelopePanama
Reviewed September 20, 2007

I booked this hotel for 2 nights through Hostelbookers and decided to cancel our stay in Monte Verde, as we spent longer in Arenal. I cancelled this 48 hours before the reservation, but did not get the name of the receptionist. I got back home to find that I was charged for the full two nights, when the confirmation sent clearly states that only the first night will be charged for no shows and late cancellations.
Having seen this I called up the hotel and spoke to the receptionist who could not help me and told me the manager would call me, who never did. But instead sent me an email saying that this is their policy. I have emailed them on several occasions sending the original confirmation, which clearly indicates the cancellation policy. But they have failed to respond and left this issue unresolved. I am very disappointed at the level of service received, as they cannot abide by their own rules and policies set out.

A great let down!!!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pingu1London
Reviewed August 22, 2007

Great Hotel to stay at. My boyfriend and I got in around 10 p.m. and were welcomed with open hands. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable. The staff was great and very helpful with directions and setting up tours. I would definitely stay here again. The only bad thing is the drive over there( unpaved roads ).

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sweetladie326
Reviewed August 22, 2007

My girlfriend and I arrived at El Viandante at 10pm (late-arriving AA
plane and HUGE accident in San Jose interstate), I was welcomed nicely and given a room, which is more like 2 rooms (2 beds 2 showers). The ride to this hotel at night is something out of a scary
movie. This by far was the best breakfast I had my whole time in Costa Rica with an incredible view of the Cloud Forest Reserve. The rooms were comfy and clean. I originally planned to go on a canopy with 'The Original Canopy Tour' but was told by the staff to go on a different one, which was cheaper and better (if your a student). This canopy had like 14 cables, 1 rappelling down a tree, and 1 CRAZY Tarzan swing. Piece of advice, if your driving on your own, drive up to the canopy tour in order to save time after you are done with the tour because if you don't there is a mad dash to get on a shuttle to the hotel. The road up to this hotel for some reason is steep and unpaved. Overall I had a great time at the hotel and I can honestly say I got my money's worth.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple