“Don't Stay at Hotel Poco A Poco in Monteverde Costa Rica”

Hotel & Spa Poco a Poco
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Monteverde
NYC
“Don't Stay at Hotel Poco A Poco in Monteverde Costa Rica”
Reviewed March 27, 2008

Such a terrible woman and experience:

I made a reservation requesting two rooms with two double beds on January 9th. 2008 arriving at this hotel March 1st. 2008. Until now i am glad i saved those emails with the booking confirmation and also i had to call the hotel more than a couple of times from the U.S. to reconfirm the booking.

It took us more than 3 hours to arrive from San Jose to the top of this mountain, i was traveling with my mother, and aunt and a friend of mine who is a local costarican citizen that lives in San Jose.

By the time we arrived it was later than the check in time, when i got in the front desk i said: " Hello! I have a reservation for today, my name is..."

This woman: ( LILLIANA ARAYA)
After i told her my name the first thing she said was:

"Oh, you are the one who i was expecting to know, because i don't have your reservation and i don't have anything available for you at this moment, but you can come next week or i could try to find another cheaper and smaller place around here, if you want!"

That was incredible!!
I made the reservation almost two months before that day.

After argue around 20 minutes with me, this woman ask me to prove her about my confirmation; (How come this woman can be such a nasty person with a tourist in front of co-workers and more tourist people all around??) I had to pull out my laptop and looked in my saved emails and prove her i had the reference confirmation email. From there you can tell how bad is the administration and the reservation services. After another 30 minutes they got me those rooms separated far to each other and she still were saying to me:

"I had to make leave to some other tourists"

Like trying to put her blame on me. And of course i could accept another cheaper place or a better discount only if she at least were giving me a nice word or apologizes about all this mistake of them, but she never said none.

In the last moment in the front desk my friend (the local citizen) ask her about tours in the forest or good discounts for people staying in this hotel.

She said in front of me:

I know the tourist people don't like to hear or to know about the locals have great discounts than foreigners, but you know what?
I really don't care; Tours for nationals are among $15 or $20 and tourists pay $50.

She even asked me where i am coming from.
When she saw my passport she said:

"Oh, i thought you were from South America but i see you are from Central America, that's why you are doing such a big deal about this and you have bad luck with hotels."

And i said:

((I think you are the one with very bad luck LILLIANA ARAYA))

I think this woman needs a lot more to be behind that desk, she doesn't know how to treat people ( tourists specially ) It is not fair for visitor find this kind of people while you are visiting a country and you don't speak the local language, since i was talking with her only in spanish all the time. They can say whatever they want if front of us ( the tourist ) if we don't speak the local language.

Maybe this woman don't know TRIP ADVISOR exist for us.

I have had been in Costa Rica twice, it's a beautiful country.

But if you go to Monteverde, Don't go to this Hotel or/and check first who is behind that desk next time..
www.hotelpocoapoco.com

Believe it or not..

This is TRIP ADVISOR, Right?

• Liked — it was clean
  • Disliked — Front desk, staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank castorguy
ManagerPocoaPoco, Gerente at Hotel & Spa Poco a Poco, responded to this review, June 19, 2011
Dear Castorguy, I'm just taking in my hands the management of this place, I know that offering you an apology doesn't solve your previous problems but I think every client is the most important and deserve a reasonable explanation. This new management has focused on service and premium facilities, we have been training our staff in subjects like guest service and human relationships in order to guarantee an extremely personalized service. We just changed our operative system, reducing at the minimum the posibility to overbook our place. Nowdays we are considered one of the best hotels in Monteverde, any of the problems you unfortunately suffered during your stay happens now. I'm deeply sorry about my antecesor who didn't take the time to answer your inquiries and obviously solve your complaints, all of them reasonable. By the way, our new Front Desk manager's name is Michael Quesada. On behalf of the owner and myself let me extend you the sincerest apology for this disapointing experience and the promise that this, your server will be taking care of every single detail if you honor us with your visit again. Warm regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
New Jersey
Reviewed March 20, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at Poco a Poco in Nov. of 07 for 2 nights. We had a great experience! The staff spoke English and were very helpful with planning out excursions and travel to our next destination. The rooms were average but accommodating of an eco-
friendly hotel. We have read reviews that mention how moist the room and linens are but we did not find this to be an issue. The beds are not the most comfortable, but not terrible for the price. The towels did not dry well but this was the only issue. This is expected when in a tropical rain forest so if you're looking for posh accomodations, don't even bother with Monteverde because the moisture in the air will affect every hotel you stay in. We did not find any large bugs or any other pests. Our biggest issue with the hotel was the noise from the road, as it seems that many motorcycles and loud cars drove by throughout the night. But hey, it's Costa Rica!

The location was perfect for us. You can walk to an awesome Frog Pond (an indoor habitat showing indigenous frogs - go at night because they are nocturnal) that was well worth the money and convenient as you walk to the town, Santa Elena. In town there are many restaurants and souvenir shops. The Treehouse restaurant is cool to experience. One caveat to the hotel experience is the limited hours they provide hot water. This could be disappointing to some travelers but it is consistent with the hotels mantra to conserve energy and remain environmentally friendly. In fact, the hotel possesses a water filtration system that allows used water to be recycled into their ponds and sprinkler system. The restaurant on premises was enjoyable but not remarkable. The free breakfast each morning consisted of typical Costa Rican food and was served quickly. If the weather keeps you confined to the room, there is an extensive DVD library available for rent, as there are DVD players in each room. In addition, you have the option to rent computers with internet access. We say "rent" loosely because they did not charge us for our minor use.

If adventure is in your blood definitely try the Zip line tours. We went to the Selvatura park. (It had rain jackets and pants so you can go no matter what the weather) and also incorporated the hanging bridge walk. BRING A CAMERA

We would recommend Poco a poco to other travelers who want a nice clean place to stay for a great price and convenient location.

• Liked — staff and location
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
GuidoMontero, Director General at Hotel & Spa Poco a Poco, responded to this review, March 30, 2015
Dear EN: Thank you very much for your comments and review.
We are very glad you enjoyed your stay at Poco a Poco, the best value hotel in Monteverde.
Our location, added values, facilities, details, and specially the service are all up the best standars.
California
Reviewed January 15, 2008

Hotel Poco a Poco has a wonderful staff. They were very helpful in booking activities and giving directions to our next destination. Our room was ok. We had two full sized beds and a twin. The walls were slightly worned down and had a slight smell of mold. The bathroom was very clean and spacious.
The restuarant had good food and breakfast was included.
The pool was clean and had a great view of the skyline (great for watching the sunset). There was also basketball court available behind the pool area.

• Liked — The hotel staff and the breakfast
  • Disliked — The room itself was ok
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank monkey24
reading
Reviewed December 28, 2007

this is a great local hotel with a nice restaurant and heated pool. the rooms are basic although clean. this is also a great hotel for older guests or disabled travelers as they have wheelchair friendly rooms and the pool area is ramped. /

• Liked — disabled friendly, local feel, good restaurant, heated pool
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Georgia
Reviewed December 17, 2007

The staff at Poco a Poco were an exceptional group of Ticos that basically took care of me from the time I walked in the door. They even remembered exactly what I had asked for when I made the reservation which was a room with a view. As soon as they realized that I had difficulty in walking they put me on the 2nd floor rather than the 4th and I still had an awesome view each morning!

The quality of food and portion size was plenty including the free breakfast each morning!

Diego the owner and managers Guido and Rodolfo were most helpful during my stay in answering questions and concerns since I was traveling alone, and even took the time to secure transportation for me when I wanted to go somewhere.

Very friendly atmosphere and a place that I definitely will visit again in June of 2008.

Regards,
Seaturtlelady

• Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear Mrs Seaturtle: Thank you very much for your comments and review.
England
Reviewed October 22, 2007

We stayed for 2 nights in October which is the rainy season. The plus points are helpful reception staff and efficient when booking tours and transport. Bathroom was well decorated and the hot shower was very good. Our room was clean but all the bedding were damp including pillows, sheets, duvets, etc. There was no heating or cooling in the room. Because of the heavy rain in this area, there is no way to dry out the moisture in the room.
In the reception and restaurant area, there was a permeating smell of stale cooking or frying which we found quite nauseating. Perhaps it is due to lack of extractor fans in the kitchen. A thorough clean of the whole downstairs area may rid it of this odour.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank AmyAmy
ManagerPocoaPoco, Gerente at Hotel & Spa Poco a Poco, responded to this review, June 18, 2011
We appreciate your comments Amy, I guarantee that our problems of humidity in the rooms have been solved with dehumidifiers, which work into them 1 hour daily while rooms are cleaned. The bedding is now dryed using green techniques plus dryers with capacity to dry up to 125% of our maximum demand in a half of the regular time. According to our sustainability program, we still do not use heating or air conditioning systems. For comfort of our clients, last year we built a new structure in order to separate Restaurant from Reception, in addition we placed a new odor extractor at the kitchen, these changes completely resolved odor problems.

Travelers are raving about these Monteverde hotels

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed September 22, 2007

I am a High School Spanish teacher and count myself fortunate in life to have discovered Monteverde, Costa Rica. I have visited as often as possible, with family and with students enrolled in Pre-IB Programs and desire to study and learn to speak Spanish. "Poco a Poco" is a special hotel which I have frequented for several years.

The name "Poco a Poco" means "little by little" and is a motto that I subscribe to in both my life and teaching career. Over the years, I have witnessed improvements happen "poco a poco" to both town and hotel. With a recent paving of the road in front, access to town is now a dream.

"Poco a Poco" features spacious, clean, and well appointed rooms. The baths are luxurious, with room to move around. The showers feature ease of entry and again, room that will spoil you. Both water pressure and temperature are great, which is often not the case in Costa Rica!

The focal point of the area is nature...and the views are incredible from various balconies or windows of "Poco a Poco." On a good day, you can see the Pacific Ocean. The main draw in Santa Elena and Monteverde is the Cloud Forests. From "Poco a Poco", you are within walking distance, or short taxi to all the areas of interest...and there are many. The staff is friendly and goes to great lengths to help guests understand what they should see and do. They also offer assistancewith plans and reservations.

"Poco a Poco's" dining room offers delicious "home cooked" traditional fare, as well as a variety of dishes to appeal to travelers. It will be difficult to return to the typical fast food in the States. The service is friendly and proficient.

On site there is a heated and covered pool, which is devine. After a day of hiking through the Cloud Forest of Monteverde or Santa Elena, or zipping through the canopy, nothing is more welcome and appealing than a couple of hours in the pool, followed by a late, delicious meal served in the dining room.

Monteverde is "heaven on earth." I have visited many times and feel like I am home when I arrive. "Poco a Poco" is a great place to stay from all considerations...two thumbs up! "Poco a Poco" is definately pura vida for the traveler wishing to experience Costa Rica at it's best!!

• Liked — The clean, spacious rooms and the friendly staff.
  • Disliked — No problems with anything.
  • Stayed June 2007