We stayed here with another couple the 26 and 27th of December, 2005, so had two rooms. We actually found the service to be great: the concierge was very nice and so were the desk workers and the shuttle drivers. (We forgot our clean laundry at the front desk, and one of the drivers went back and picked it up for us). However, our hotel room was at the very top of the hill, which meant we had a great view, but also that we had a seven-minute shuttle ride between our room and the reception or restaurant. And the shuttle stops running at 10 pm...One member of our party actually walked down to the restaurant in twenty minutes, but he only did it once. :)
We had an all-inclusive package, so all our meals were at the hotel restaurant. We found the selection to be quite broad: pizza, soups, salads, Costa Rican rice and meat dishes, fresh-squeezed juices, several desserts. Several vegetarian options at all meals. Food quality and service were both great for us. The breakfast buffet was large and really good--they even had made-to-order pancakes and omelettes on one side.
Our rooms were in the newest building, and we were literally the first people to stay in them. But the sheets were faded flowers, really old and threadbare. The rooms stank--really reeked--of varnish and paint, even after we aired them out by leaving the patio doors open. The rooms were basic, like a really clean Comfort Inn. Both our soap dispensers fell off the shower walls, luckily not while we were in them! And the hallway echoed SO much, it's all stone (bad idea for a hallway).
All four of us agree that we would definitely stay somewhere else next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the misty cloud forest of Monteverde, El Establo offers the best quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience: The area`s best view, heated indoor pools, spa, restaurants, café-bars, special events center, internet access, souvenirs shop, tennis court, basketball court, mini soccer court, hiking trails, canopy tour and the most charming staff. This half Costarican – half Quaker, family owned hotel, will allow you to share the best of both cultures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, HostelWorld, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your El Establo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Establo Hotel Monteverde
- El Establo Monteverde
- El Establo Costa Rica/Monteverde