My wife and I stayed at El Establo for 2 nights in February 2014, in building 800. The views are stunning, the Gulf of Nicoya, the Nicoya Peninsula and the Pacific. The 12 buildings containing the hotel rooms are very separate from each other, and up the side of a VERY steep hill, and so you call the van to catch a ride to everything. The van usually shows up within minutes, except during peak times, but you may have to make a series of stops to pick up other guests. The restaurants and pool are each in separate buildings too. We are pretty athletic, have raced triathlons for years, and the hill is still a monster. And the shuttles only run 6:30-10, so we had to walk down the hill for an early morning tour pickup at the reception building. There are 2 restaurants, which were OK, nothing special, Laggos being the upscale one. The pool was small and enclosed on 3 sides, open on the side with the view. From reception, it's about a 3/4 mile walk into town, so we walked in for lunch one day. Internet access is terrible, even bad in the common areas. The front desk claimed there was no internet in the rooms, but there was an open access connection in each building, but it was almost unusable. The rooms were nice, but the louvered windows into the open hallway let in too much noise. There is a zip line and guided night tours on the grounds, for additional price. The complementary breakfast was overrun with a busload of seniors, making it crowded and less than ideal. If the view is your primary reason for choosing a hotel, you'll like this place, but I can not recommend it overall.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the misty cloud forest of Monteverde, El Establo offers the best quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience: The area`s best view, heated indoor pools, spa, restaurants, café-bars, special events center, internet access, souvenirs shop, tennis court, basketball court, mini soccer court, hiking trails, canopy tour and the most charming staff. This half Costarican – half Quaker, family owned hotel, will allow you to share the best of both cultures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, HostelWorld, Travelocity, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your El Establo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Establo Hotel Monteverde
- El Establo Monteverde
- El Establo Costa Rica/Monteverde