We stayed at El Establo for two days. The elevation is high enough that when the clouds roll in, they envelope the entire resort. The first day we were there it was raining and cloudy/foggy. The rooms have no air conditioning or heat, so we had our jackets on for a bit trying to stay warm while sitting in the room. The rooms were nice and the staff did a good job of keeping the resort clean. Our room had a deck but there were no chairs/table out there so you couldn’t sit outside and enjoy the view. We stayed in the 400 building so we were able to walk back and forth from the reception area and restaurant without trouble. If you stay in any building with a higher number (500 to 900), you are probably going to be dependent on the shuttle vans to pick you up and drop you off. The shuttles are very efficient. You just call the front desk and request one and it will arrive in less than 5 minutes. The breakfast buffet was decent (gotta love a place that serves jalapeno poppers at 6:30 in the morning). It is served in the restaurant at the bottom of the hill. We also tried the formal dining restaurant on the property, called Laggus, one night. It had a nice atmosphere and the food was ok, but nothing outstanding. There are a few stores and restaurants close by so there is no need for a rental car or taxi. There are a number of hiking trails on the property at the top of the hill. You can walk them on your own during the daylight, or you can go with a guide at night. I think we paid $25 USD per person for the Night Walk and I would highly recommend it. The guide was great and was able to point out so many things we missed when we went on the trails by ourselves. Overall I would rate the hotel and restaurants as good, and the Night Walk tour as great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the misty cloud forest of Monteverde, El Establo offers the best quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience: The area`s best view, heated indoor pools, spa, restaurants, café-bars, special events center, internet access, souvenirs shop, tennis court, basketball court, mini soccer court, hiking trails, canopy tour and the most charming staff. This half Costarican – half Quaker, family owned hotel, will allow you to share the best of both cultures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Expedia, Travelocity and Hotwire so you can book your El Establo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Establo Hotel Monteverde
- El Establo Monteverde
- El Establo Costa Rica/Monteverde