This hotel seemed awkward to us for some reason. Out of all the places we stayed this one left us with the feeling of glad to be leaving after three days. After talking about it we came to the conclusion it's because it's all built on a hill, a very steep hill. We love to walk but hiking back and forth to our room got old real fast so we finally started riding in their shuttles, which you have to request, that go up and down their steep hill. The last thing you hear at night and the first thing you hear in the morning is noisy shuttle vans. They also have hiking trails on their property which are in the back section and where you need a map. These trails can go for miles so be sure and take a map. Oh wait, we did take a map! But it's not accurate, and you can easily get lost. When we were done hiking there wasn't any way to contact shuttle to come get us to take us back to the room which was quite a ways down a very very steep hill. If there was an emergency while hiking you'd be out of luck since there isn't any phone service. The hotel seems to be run on a shoestring budget. The landscaping needs to be tended to and is overgrown and the rooms are very outdated. They look like ski lodge units from the 70s. There are no coffee makers in the rooms, nor is their A/C or heating. The room safe is small and we could barely fit out belongings in it. The food was passable but you have to pay extra for pancakes and omelettes. We ate across the street at Chimera which made us very happy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the misty cloud forest of Monteverde, El Establo offers the best quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience: The area`s best view, heated indoor pools, spa, restaurants, café-bars, special events center, internet access, souvenirs shop, tennis court, basketball court, mini soccer court, hiking trails, canopy tour and the most charming staff. This half Costarican – half Quaker, family owned hotel, will allow you to share the best of both cultures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your El Establo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Establo Hotel Monteverde
- El Establo Monteverde
- El Establo Costa Rica/Monteverde