This hotel is situated on the side of a hill, making for a steep walk or hotel shuttle bus wait if you want to move up to the restaurant at the top or down to the reception at the bottom. The restaurant was not worth the ride uphill since the ribeye steak was tough and not cooked well; I ordered it medium and it came to my table almost raw and when I sent it back, you guessed it, it returned almost burned to a crisp! The waiter tried to appease me with another glass of Cabernet.
My bottom floor hotel room came with the usual items: a bed, a television, coffee maker and refrigerator, but I had to take the coffee maker into the bathroom since the ONLY plug-ins were about 12 inches above the gross carpeted floor or in the bathroom next to the sink...great locations for drying your hair or vacuuming the carpet, but NOT for brewing coffee! Also, the ceiling was covered in beautiful wood paneling, but the floor was carpeted in soiled, out-of-date carpet that needs to be removed! Next time put the wood on the floor and note to hotel--pull the carpet and replace with wood or stone tile! Carpet does not belong in a humid, tropical rain forest anyway!
The reception was efficient, though some were friendly and some were not, but don't expect much help if you have trouble with the room; they don't return calls and will tell you that they are going to take care of your request and then they do not. I checked out the night before since I had an early shuttle to the airport in San Jose. I was assured even after checking twice that there would be a breakfast box for me at the gate when I was to leave--there was no box.
The only high point for this hotel was the Spa which was fabulous, a real gem, but once again a very loooooong walk uphill or a shuttle ride over half-a dozen speed bumps. the therapists were excellent and the facility was terrific, a place where you are going to be pampered. This hotel has two small pools and NO jacuzzi, but you can take a jacuzzi at the spa building for no extra charge and they will fill it for you, light candles and with no time limit--a great place!
My advice: don't "climb every mountain," especially this one!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the misty cloud forest of Monteverde, El Establo offers the best quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience: The area`s best view, heated indoor pools, spa, restaurants, café-bars, special events center, internet access, souvenirs shop, tennis court, basketball court, mini soccer court, hiking trails, canopy tour and the most charming staff. This half Costarican – half Quaker, family owned hotel, will allow you to share the best of both cultures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, Odigeo, Travelocity and Cheap Tickets so you can book your El Establo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Establo Hotel Monteverde
- El Establo Monteverde
- El Establo Costa Rica/Monteverde