This is a very odd hotel. Yes it is on steep slopes but as others have stated there is a fairly efficient shuttle service which you can call up from your room - going down- or from reception - going up. Be aware this apparently stops at 10pm so don't be late in unless you fancy a hard walk uphill. There are some nine levels so the top rooms are only for very fit people.
The rooms are large with nice views but no coffee/tea making facilities. On enquiring they said they'd had problems with the machines so removed them. If you didn't have a travel kettle then you had to go down to reception to get a cuppa!! While you're there, don't forget to pick up a key for the room safe otherwise you'll have to descend the mountain again.
One of our party ate at the a la carte restaurant adjacent to level 5. They had a very good meal but were nearly charged double for a bottle of wine. Hopefully this was just an accident.
Breakfast in the lower restaurant was typical costa rican fair and they did offer omelettes but only if you paid $2 extra. In all my travels round the world I have never been asked to pay a surcharge for an omelette!!
We walked down to the spa around 4:00pm which was apparently open until 9pm but completely closed up. There was no information pack in the room and I couldn't find anything on the TV.
There was a very nice swimming pool just below level 5 but no pool attendant or bar.
The wifi room in block 5 was locked all the time we were there.
I wonder if the hotel was in fact open at all?
On a positive note, the Chimera restaurant just outside the hotel gates did excellent tapas and the Treehouse in the village was jolly good as well. Try the chinese style tilapia.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the misty cloud forest of Monteverde, El Establo offers the best quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience: The area`s best view, heated indoor pools, spa, restaurants, café-bars, special events center, internet access, souvenirs shop, tennis court, basketball court, mini soccer court, hiking trails, canopy tour and the most charming staff. This half Costarican – half Quaker, family owned hotel, will allow you to share the best of both cultures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, HostelWorld, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your El Establo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Establo Hotel Monteverde
- El Establo Monteverde
- El Establo Costa Rica/Monteverde