After a stunning transfer across Arenal lake and on bumpy roads over the mountains, we were delighted to land in such a beautiful and comfortable room and I would reiterate previous comments regarding the lovely bathroom and superb views. The reception and check-in was personable and efficient and we had no trouble getting a shuttle bus, whenever we needed one.
The disappointing element of this hotel were the swimming pools - in spite of having been mentioned previously on TA the pool at 5th level is still unheated (and "freezing" cold) and the lower one looked very uninviting - rather dirty!
Reception also had told us that we could get water and coffee at the poolside, which was not the case. They also told us we would be offered coffee in the bar above the restaurant at level 5 - the bar staff tried to deny this and we had to be quite assertive!!
We did not try the restaurant as we felt that the prices were rather high. Instead we ate at Johnny's Pizzeria (turn right out of hotel, follow the road round to the right, downhill a bit and it is on the left) for lunch and De Olivo restaurant (turn right out of the hotel and take a first left onto the rough road at the first corner - it is about 20m on the right) for dinner on both nights. Highly recommend both!
We had to leave very early on the second morning of our stay and the hotel arranged for a "pack up" breakfast to be left with the security guard.
Overall my memories of this hotel are that it is beautiful and efficient but rather lacking in character, warmth and charm.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the misty cloud forest of Monteverde, El Establo offers the best quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience: The area`s best view, heated indoor pools, spa, restaurants, café-bars, special events center, internet access, souvenirs shop, tennis court, basketball court, mini soccer court, hiking trails, canopy tour and the most charming staff. This half Costarican – half Quaker, family owned hotel, will allow you to share the best of both cultures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, HostelWorld, Cheap Tickets and Despegar.com so you can book your El Establo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Establo Hotel Monteverde
- El Establo Monteverde
- El Establo Costa Rica/Monteverde