On our recent trip to Costa Rica, our overnight stay at El Establo was part of a two-day excursion package to the beautiful MonteVerde area arranged by the tour company, Costa RicanTrails. Given the cost of the excursion package, we didn't have very high expectations for the arranged accommodations. We were pleasantly surprised, however, when we arrived at the hotel, strategically and impressively situated on the mountain slope. Clean, comfortable and convenient to the attractions in the area, the views from the room were incredible of the cloud forest and canopy.
Our two deluxe rooms were sizable, with the basic amenities, and the bathrooms were updated. It reminded me, however, of a good quality college dormitory with its quirky bathroom window opening onto the echoing hallway - there is no other bathroom ventilation or A.C. Further to this, we had "lights out" twice with the electricity spontaneously shutting down leaving us for a brief time in the dark to listen to the tree frogs!
We were in the "500" block which seemed to be about a mile up the steep slope! I tried walking it while waiting for our room to be ready, but gave up when I reached the "400" block with no sight of the "500" building! Unless you are very fit, take the shuttle!
The two restaurants were very convenient and the food was of a fair quality. The wait staff were all pleasant, friendly and accommodating and tried their best to please.
Generally, El Establo is a practical choice and is perfect for an overnight stay or as a base to explore the Monteverde area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the misty cloud forest of Monteverde, El Establo offers the best quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience: The area`s best view, heated indoor pools, spa, restaurants, café-bars, special events center, internet access, souvenirs shop, tennis court, basketball court, mini soccer court, hiking trails, canopy tour and the most charming staff. This half Costarican – half Quaker, family owned hotel, will allow you to share the best of both cultures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, HostelWorld, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your El Establo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Establo Hotel Monteverde
- El Establo Monteverde
- El Establo Costa Rica/Monteverde