“Very relaxing place to go”
Review of Hotel Belmar

and 1 more site!
Hotel Belmar
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Monteverde
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 12, 2009

The hotel was awesome. We got super lost for like 5 hours before we got here so we were very happy to have finally got here.

We ate in the restaurant which was way over priced for the food but it was late and we were starving.

The hot tub is in a cool little hut on a huge grassy hill but what is a hot tub to me is not for them. The water was freezing!!

It is a green hotel so they have recycle bins and energy saving things everywhere. The room was nice with an amazing view all the way to the ocean. The walls are pretty thin. There are some nice trails close by. The complimentary breakfast was awesome.

We would stay here again. Great prices and friendly people.

Go ziplining here it was amazing!!!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Belmar

Reviewed January 8, 2009

We stayed in the Chalet Building which I had already read elsewhere was not as nice as the main building (which has the newer rooms) but we booked the trip last minute so we didn't have a choice, and took what we could get.

The hotel has free wi fi in the main building, and has a computer with free internet access which was useful. The Chalet Building also has several sitting areas on the first floor, not sure if there is wi fi access there or not.

The hotel itself is up on an unpaved, bumpy side road from the main two lane road that goes through town. We took taxis into town several times daily, as this hilly road makes this hotel far from the main road.

Monte Verde is not an easy place to get to- if you come from Arenal like we did, you will probably take a boat ride over (boring ride, about 45 minutes long) and then drive in a mini van about 2 hours on bumpy unpaved roads- this is the "jeep boat jeep" way to get there, though there are no jeeps involved.

So, once we got to the hotel around 11 am, we were pretty tired from the trek to get there. We were told the room would take about 30 minutes to be ready; an hour later I asked if the room was ready (I had to remind the woman that we had been waiting an hour in the lobby area for our room), and after checking, she said our room had been ready but that housekeeping forgot to tell her, as they were busy! The same woman did set up a couple of tours for us, so in that regard she was helpful. The hotel has a binder up front with brochures and prices/times of tours and will book the tours for you.

We had room #12, which had a great view of the lake and mountains. VERY basic room- just big enough for the bed and dresser. Bathroom was ok. Very rustic, cabin like feel, which I am not particularly fond of. No TV or even a clock.

There wasn't a telephone in our room, which we thought was standard. I had asked for a wake up call for a 7am pick up for a hike the first morning there and never received it (luckily I woke up on my own in time). When I asked about it later, I was told I did receive a wake up call. Only later when we saw phones in other rooms did we realize that our room was the only one without a phone, hence the absence of the wake up call! When I told the front desk at check out about this, they had no idea our phone was missing.

The restaurant has horrible service and is very slow- even when I was the only patron in the place (twice). Avoid eating here.

I would under all circumstances try to avoid the Chalet Building!

Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed December 26, 2008

We stay there for couple night. you can hear every single thing that is happening in the rooms next to yours (NO sound proof walls.)
The breakfast was horrible. At 10:00pm you need to leave the lobby
because they are turning all the light off.no T.V in the rooms, no heaters,we were cold at night.
II will not go back or send my friends.

Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed December 3, 2008

My family stayed here for three nights while we explored the beautiful Monteverde cloud forest. To put it as politely as I can, this place is incredibly sub-par. Staff is generally unhelpful, and often rud. The buffet breakfast included runny scrambled eggs, granola and rice and beans. I wish I was exaggerting. If you want anything more substantive, you'll need to go into town, the kitchen does not take orders.

The room walls are paper thin. You will hear everything your neigbors say and do. The rooms themselves are pretty lame. The bedspreads appeared un-washed. They claim to be eco-friendly, but it almost feels that this ecology is rooted more in laziness than concern for the environment.

They claim to have a game room in a nearby chalet. The 'game room' includes a pool table. That's it. No TVs in the room (and I'm not a guy that needs a TV) but occasionally, it's nice to catch up on CNN when having your morning coffee. They will happily direct you to a TV in the lobby... only problem? The TV gets exactly one channel. And it's always a snowy soccer game.

We found that most of the hotels in the area can best be described as 'rustic,' but ours was a little too run-down for our tastes. I'd recommend looking into one of the top 5 hotels in Monteverde and nearby Santa Elena. I don't think any of them will be Hyatt, Hilton or even Holiday Inn quality, but there are definitely better choices.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank tvfarmboy
Reviewed November 21, 2008

We were there three days. First the good things: the restaurant served wonderful food and good wines; the restaurant staff was gracious; the hotel grounds were pleasant; and the Alpine architecture was charming. However, the bad things spoiled the good. Our room, 203, was in the Main Building on the lower floor. I suspect the hotel has sustained flooding at some time. At first, we noticed a chemical odor similar to a wood preservative. Then, we noticed a musty odor, especially in the mattresses and pillows. From the floor up two or three inches, the bathroom cabinet was black as if it had been in standing water. There were light bulbs missing. There was a bracket for a smoke detector, but no smoke detector. Our room, as are most of the rooms on that floor, was under the dining room. It was extremely noisy until 9:00 PM when they stopped serving, and then it picked up again at 6:00 AM for breakfast.

Everyone on the staff, save one, was gracious, and that one was the receptionist on duty in the morning. She is in the wrong business. She should be a voucher examiner for the IRS. Not one, "Have a nice day", "Thank you" or "I'm sorry I woke you at 6:45 because I miss-booked that tour" passed her lips. If you stay at the Hotel Belmar, specify no room on the lower floor of the Main Building and do your bookings and other business with the afternoon staff.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wwalker2919
Reviewed September 19, 2008

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights while on a tour around Costa Rica for our Honeymoon. The overall aspect of the hotel is nice. We had dinner there and the food was excellent. The breakfast was a bit limited if you wanted to have something else than baked beans and rice. The bedroom was simple but OK. The only major problem we had were bugs in the bathroom.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FBandPP
Reviewed August 16, 2008

Family just returned from a two night stay here. Would stay here again. We stayed in the main building and had no complaints. Staff was very helpful, restaurant was good. It's not the Four Seasons but it is a nice family run hotel that is Eco Friendly.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family