Hotel Belmar
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Los Pinos - Cabanas y Jardines(Cerro Plano)
El Establo(Monteverde)
Heliconia Hotel(Monteverde)
Cala Lodge(Monteverde)
Hotel El Bosque(Monteverde)
Monteverde Inn(Monteverde)
1,469 results
All reviewsjuice barfarm to tablecanopy roomcloud forestfree yoga classmain buildingcosta ricayoga classesrestaurant balconymicro brewerybeautiful hotelhot tubswiss chaletthe pacific oceantop floornicoya peninsulasuperior room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed in room #12 in the Chalet in what they call a Belmar Peninsula room for three nights. The Belmar has two separate buildings across the street from one another. #12 is on the second floor up a beautiful wooden spiral staircase.

Basic information:
• There is a juice bar on the first floor of the chalet as well as a small gift shop.
• You can get ice from the juice bar if you need it.
• The grounds are beautiful and the view from the room is awesome.
• The wood on the floor, walls and ceiling of the room is beautiful.
• We had a king bed and a table big enough for two suitcases is at the foot of the bed.
• There is a sitting area with two chairs and a very small table. This area has a huge picture window overlooking the forest – you can see the Pacific Ocean and the Nicoya peninsula from here.
• The room has a mini-frig that is stocked as well as snacks you can purchase.
• They also provide robes and slippers
• There is a small balcony with one chair to sit outside. Since the weather is so nice in the afternoon, it’s very pleasant. You can also open the door to the balcony as well as the window by the spa to get a nice flow of air going through.
• When we first arrived, we were greeted with a damp towel and two complimentary welcome drinks. We were then given a short tour of the main floor (the dining area and bar) and they also pointed out where the hot tub and small frog pond is located. When we were taken to our room, we were also shown where various hiking paths were right outside the property.
• The short nature walk around the property was nice. It takes about 15-20 minutes if you stop to look at the butterflies, birds, etc.
• We also did the hike to the top of the mountain (where there are cell towers). It’s a very steep hike up a dirt road. It took us about an hour to get up to the top but unfortunately we couldn’t see a thing because of the clouds. It took about ½ hour to get back down.

Pros:
• The bathroom area is awesome. We had a spa tub (big enough for two), there were two sinks with plenty of room for your toiletries, a separate shower and the toilet was in a separate area.
• The shower has a rain shower and it overlooks the forest (the bottom 3/4 is opaque, the top half is glass so you can look out as you are showering.
• The sink and spa area have a wall of glass overlooking nature also.
• The room has a safe in it.
• The bed was very comfortable.
• The wi-fi was very fast and reliable.
• We also had a good cell phone signal.
• Breakfast was very good with a variety of offerings: fruit, bread, eggs, sausage, bacon, juice and many other options. It is served in the dining room from 6:30-9:00. Since they only had sugar on the table, I asked for Splenda and they brought it to my table.

Cons:
• There is no a/c but they do have a floor fan.
• There is no tv.
• You could hear others guests at night and the wind does blow but with earplugs I was fine.
• The hotel lost electricity around 7:30 and it did not come back on by the time we left at 10:30am.

Overall, a nice place to stay!

Room Tip: There are two buildings. The chalet is across from the lobby and restaurant. There is no elevator so keep that in mind if that's an issue for youl
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RBonTheLake
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a large room with a view of the Nicoya Bay. The room itself was spacious and the bed the most comfortable of our 9 night trip. We were a bit disappointed we weren't spending more than one night. The staff was very accommodating. We arrived at 4:45 and asked about a night hike (we thought it started at 6:15 - but the one they set us up with started with a 515 pick up from the hotel). They helped get us checked in quickly, and made the call so we coul make the tour. They only book tours with 6 or fewer people. I highly recommend taking a night tour and a day tour in the Monteverde area. Hiking and "sightseeing" on your own will likely leave you disappointed, unless you are a very experienced bird-watcher or naturalist. We didn't realize this until after our night tour. So, the next morning we decided (at about 715) that we would like to take a morning tour. The hotel-arranged tour at 745 was full, but they had arranged another one for us at 8 - for just us! It was a great experience. After our night tour, we dined at the restaurant in the hotel and were very pleased. The breakfast buffett did not dissapoint either. The only con was that we could hear what sounded like a party as we were getting ready for bed. Not sure where the people were, but they were quite loud. By 11 p.m. or so, all was quiet, and we settled in for a good night's sleep.

1  Thank Sara V
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Fabulous hotel with incredible gardens staff and location. When we arrived we were treated to a cocktail and a warm flannel to clean away the dust from our journey and later they delivered an exotic fruit platter to our room. We stayed in a Forest Room on the 3rd floor and had amazing views over the forest and countryside of Monte Verde. Our room was very comfortable with a kingsize bed and a bathroom with a huge picture window overlooking the forest and the largest bath we have ever seen in a hotel room. We sat on the balcony and watched parrots, mot-mots, toucans and many other species of birds landing in the nearby trees and could hear the calling of the monkeys. Breakfast was superb with hot and cold food available and omelettes cooked to order. Lunch and dinner are also served here up above the gardens with seating on the balcony or inside. The food was freshly cooked and excellent. We would highly recommend a stay in the Belmar.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor in one of the Forest Rooms in the second building which was superb and a short walk from reception and the restaurant so was very quiet.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here for 2 days in March. On the plus side, our room was large, very well furnished with a balcony and beautiful views over the hills to the pacific ocean.The dining are too has a large balcony with the some west facing views. Complimentary latte in the room was a nice touch. Extra towel change in the evening also appreciated.

However, as vegetarians we had a problem with the menu. Only two options.. both pasta.. very un-imaginative..and I don't like pasta. We asked for a possible alternative and received a flat no. We waited half an hour one evening for our wine.. because there were no clean wine glasses. We said that water glasses would do, but this was clearly not acceptable.

Breakfast food was only average .. the fruit was pretty tasteless, bread was dry and biscuits without flavour.

We had an early departure so the day before asked for a packed box of fruit etc. for the journey. This was refused, although we had paid for breakfast. We were told " No one is here at 6.30".. not true, the buffet was nearly ready as we left. At other hotels even of lower rating, which we had on this trip for a quick overnight in transit, this service was offered.

We arrived with damp clothes, my request for an iron was declined. I used the laundry service and had to send back some trousers that were returned more crumpled than when I sent them. Redone.. but with poor grace and no apology.

This is the best located hotel we could see in Monteverde, maybe the management is relying on this or perhaps there is not the opportunity for huge amount of repeat business.
Just not flexible enough - too much attention to rituals like folding napkins and offering wine corks for inspection - too little personal service.... a pity.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Before reviewing the hotel, I have to warn anyone travelling to Monteverde to prepare themselves for a very long, bumpy, winding, 20km drive up a steep mountain to reach your hotel. I don't know if this would have changed my mind about travelling to Monteverde, but it would have been nice to know what I was getting into beforehand.

As for Hotel Belmar, it's a beautiful hotel that sits high on a hill and has an amazing view of the area. It has a nice rustic lodge feel to it and the grounds are gorgeous. We had the peninsula superior room in the main lodge which I would recommend to avoid long walks back and forth to the restaurant. The view from the room was amazing and it felt spacious enough even with my
3 1/2 year old running everywhere.

So now the issues: first, because of the elevation it is very, very windy at night and loud! I'm not sure how my son slept through the noise, but my husband and I had a hard time since the roof would rattle and the windows would shake...maybe earplugs?? Second, the showers don't have much water pressure and don't warm up if a lot of people in the hotel are showering at the same time, which is annoying after hiking all day and wanting to take a hot shower. So I would recommend showering at off times to avoid being annoyed and cold.

Third, this is more of a personal issue but I still wanted to note it so others are aware. When we arrived we were told our bathroom toilet was having issues and we couldn't check in (even though it was way past check-in time). We weren't bothered, had lunch and then got our room key. However, upon using the toilet, we realized it was still not working and informed the front desk. Since we were doing a night hike we figured they could fix our bathroom while we were gone since it was a 2 hr hike. We got back around 8:30pm to find a bunch of men still in our bathroom working. They kept telling us it would be only 10 more minutes, but this went on for over an hour. I'm typically not a complainer and I have a high threshold for annoying situations, but I pretty much lost it when at 9:30 things were still not done, my son had to use another shower in another room which didn't have warm water or any pressure and I was told because they were booked to capacity they could not move us.

They did give us a free dinner, a fruit platter and half off all our hotel expenses to make up for the situation and they were apologetic which I do appreciate. Overall it is a decent hotel with good food and a nice location. Book early to get a better room since it fills up quickly.

Room Tip: Stay in the main lodge to avoid a lot of walking.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family