Hotel Trapp Family
$125
$115
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Hotel El Bosque(Monteverde)(Great Value!)
$50
Monteverde Inn(Monteverde)(Great Value!)
$40
$35
Great 4.5/5
Los Pinos - Cabanas y Jardines(Cerro Plano)
$138
$199
Agoda.com
$60
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsthe reserveclosest hotelmountain suitescloud foresta mountain view roomcosta ricaspace heaternational parknearest townwalking distanceplenty of blanketswooden floorsmain buildingtoilet paperhummingbird gallerysanta elenamonte verde
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 4, 2008

The Trapp Family Lodge is a quality place to stay. The rooms are nice and the staff seems to be attentive to the needs of tourists. The problem is that the hotel is just not close to much and if you get caught there in bad weather you better have something to read or like watching TV.

The restaurant produces good food, but the prices are obvious gouges because they know you don't want to grab a taxi for every meal. If you do head to town, Sophia is a great choice!

The road to the hotel is fine compared to most in Monte Verde. The roads *around* Monte Verde aren't the best, but are you going to blame the hotel?

Positives:
*Clean rooms and linens
*Decent bathroom and showers
*Attentive staff
*Near the Cloud Forest Reserve
*Food tastes good
*Satellite TV (if you care)

Negatives:
*No Internet at all (not even lobby)
*Hotel is not exactly close to town
*Restaurant is about 30% overpriced because they know you are stuck there.
*Not a ton to do there if the weather is harsh.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2008

The Trapp Family Lodge is nice but it is kind of far away from town down a pretty bad road. It is only a $5-$6 taxi ride into town but just not a pleasant ride. Our room was in the annex not in the main hotel. The decor is nice and the shower was seriously one of the best that I have had in Costa Rica. The problems were that it smells musty and remember to keep your windows shut as there are a lot of moths and other unidentifiable (and sometimes quite large and scary) bugs that like to pay a visit.

If I were to go to Monte Verde again I likely wouldn't stay here simply due to the location and the difficult road.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 30, 2008

This was one of our favorite hotels in Costa Rica despite paying more than double at other locations. There are 2 buildings, the main lodge and the back building. We were on the second floor of the back building at the end so almost two of our walls were glass. Our room was immaculate and smelled strongly of clean cedar. The beds were super comfy the service was friendly and extremely helpful. We were given maps and suggestions for tours, which they will book for you. I asked the front desk for the most "authentic" coffee tour and he booked us for one that they didn't even have on their "suggested itinerary" list. The restaurant was very good as well and we ate there several times. For food I also want to plug the tapas bar in town Chimera - very good and try the guava margaritas!
I do have to add that the town is about 2 miles away on a very bumpy dirt road. This was fine for us as we had our own car. The park itself is extremely close - right around the bend.
If I am lucky enough to end up in MonteVerde again I wouldn't dream of staying elsewhere!

Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed July 10, 2008

We had heard good things about Costa Rica and booked 5 nights at the Trapp Family lodge. We flew into San Jose in the afternoon so by the time we got to the turnoff at Sardinal it was dark, rainy and foggy. There was construction shortly after the pavement turned to a dirt road. It made for some interesting driving in the 4wd Land Cruiser. It took at least an hour to get to Santa Elena. Thankfully the road turned to pavement for the drive through town. The Trapp family lodge is way on the other side of town and required another 10 minutes of driving. At night in the rain it was a little difficult to find.

We arrived and the staff was pleasant and glad to see us. Our rooms were on the hill so the walk up there with our suitcases was a little steep and slippery but not terribly so. They fixed dinner for us and made reservations for the tour through the Cloud forest the next morning. They were quick and efficient. The food was good. The rooms were spacious and comfortable.

We realized that we had left a suitcase back in San Jose. The owner of the lodge was coming the next day, so she brought it with her.

The guide to the Cloud forest recommended that we drive to the Reserve rather than walk. I jogged there and it was about a 5 minute jog so that would have been about a 10 to 15 minute walk. The road is pretty muddy about half way there so it was reasonably good advice to drive. There is a lot of traffic on the road and it is pretty narrow. The cars and vans are only going about 20 mph so it's not as dangerous as it may appear. There were people walking all around on the roads.

Every employee we had contact with at the Trapp Family lodge was pleasant and helpful. They were able to arrange trips to the Canopy tours along with transportation without any problems. The rooms were cleaned every day. It was sunny every morning and rainy every afternoon. I ran every morning, but the roads are pretty rough and I don't think I ever found a flat spot. The grade went from about 5 to 15% just about everywhere.

The hotel arranged a horseback ride down to the Waterfall. It took about an hour of riding to get to the trail head where we had to hike about 45 minutes to the falls. The guide did not speak a word of English but the trip was pretty simple. The horses were in good shape and very tame. We had to go down a concrete road for about a mile that had about a 15% grade that may have been a little hard on the horses. The waterfall trail was pretty rugged and slippery. The view of the waterfall made it worthwhile.

The Don Juan Coffee tour was nice. Drank a lot of coffee and learned more about Coffee than I ever thought I would.

We did the Selvatura Canopy tour and liked it so much 2 days later we did the Extremo Canopy tour. The Selvatura was probably prettier, but the Extremo was certainly more exciting. Transportation was of course included.

We ate at Tramonti’s restaurant 2 nights and I would recommend it. Stella's Bakery was good. Driving wise they were both only about 5 minutes away.

Driving into Santa Elena from the Trapp lodge was less than 10 minutes, except when they had a large bicycle ride originate on the road. There were over a 1000 bicyclists riding through Santa Elena and they sort of clogged up the roads. It didn't bother me, but some of the Taxi drivers seemed a little irritable.

Our goal on this trip was to have a relaxing, laid back trip with no major stresses. We had a difficult time getting a cell phone signal and internet connections. To me, this was a plus.

For what we wanted, the Trapp Family lodge turned out to be perfect. We brought 3 kids age 21, 17 and 14 and found enough to keep us occupied for 4 full days.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Vreracing
Reviewed July 8, 2008

Stayed at Trapp for four nights. Freddie at the front desk was excellent at helping us with directions and setting up day adventures for us. I can't say enough great things for how helpful he was...he works during the day and is always around. Food in the restaurant was average at best...I would go back into Monteverde or Santa Elena for food. You are right around the corner to the Cloud Forest entrance...but on the flip side, you are a few minute drive back into town. Room was very nice...beds a little hard though. And having two double beds instead of one bigger bed for our honeymoon would have been preferrable. Buildings and grounds were very nice and very well maintained.

BEWARE of the very poor dirt/gravel roads leading into Monteverde. It is a solid 1.5 hours of time on that road...often one lane...up and down mountains. Some reviews say that four wheel drive is recommended. I disagree...it is REQUIRED. When heavy rain falls, the roads are a mess and I would have been very concerned if I were in a non-4 wheel drive vehicle.

I would definitely recommend The Trapp Family Lodge. Enjoyed our stay...the staff was the shining star.

• Stayed: June 2008