“great informative tour” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 51 things to do in Monteverde
More attraction details
Owner description: The Monteverde Wildlife Refuge is committed to the preservation of our native flora and fauna. It features animal views, guided family walks, and guided sunset nocturnal toursSit under a shady tree and watch Quetzals, Bell Birds, Umbrella Birds, Snakes and a variety of other birds in their natural habitat.Monteverde Wildlife Refuge is a private sanctuary, staffed by nature lovers and is the newest Wildlife Refuge in Monteverde Costa Rica.
Bern, Switzerland
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“great informative tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

even though it rained during the whole tour i did enjoy myself.
this tour was everything i hoped for: good guide, a lot of information, a lot of wild life.

Visited October 2013

Arlington, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Worth doing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I enjoyed this night tour, choosing the Spanish speaking group rather than my native English, just to continue my immersion. There were just four of us including the guide and that was good for different reasons. Although we didn't see as much wildlife as I hoped, it was worth it. The tarantula was the most memorable. The guide was excellent.

Visited April 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Night Hike”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I liked that the company will send a van to pick you up from your hotel. Once there, we got seperated from another group of friends and were told that we could not wait to be in the same group. They moved pretty fast and wanted to get people out on the trails before the darkness set in. Our guide was friendly enough, but not very talkative. He did give little bits of information here and there about the animals we saw, but didn't really talk in between sightings. It was really neat walking in the jungle at night. The noises were incredible to listen to. I wasn't sure what to expect. We did end up seeing a couple of insects (walking sticks, sleeping butterfly, praying mantis, beetle), 2 vipers, 3 toucans, an oilbird, bats, a quetzal, an agouti and a kinkajou. I wish we would have seen more and spent more time learning about the wildlife. I liked that we had flashlights to guide our path as needed, but I would have liked to be able to use it to scan for animals on my own. Overall, it was an interesting walk and gave us a chance to be in the jungle at night. It was pretty tiring, especially after a busy day of running around and sight seeing. I would definitely recommend the earlier trip over the later one.

Hamilton, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Night hike in rain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Not very expensive; flashlights supplied and hot coffee; saw woolly possum, keel bill toucan, spot shoulder frog, tarantula in its nest, oil bird, numerous insects, bats, kinajou...and a bright green pit viper.
Not bad in the rain. A good experience. Recommended.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Late night walk great ending to our trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Guide Enar was amazing as we walked through the refuge. He did not miss a thing. Ask him how he reads spiders' eyes. Wear a raincoat just in case. They supply the flashlights.