“A must for bird & creature lovers!”
Review of Forest Alive

Forest Alive
Ranked #1 of 51 Tours in Monteverde
More attraction details
Owner description: In a Natural History Private Tours you will be in the Nature Documentary yourself. Learn about the Cloud forest with your Naturalist Guide who will help spot unique wildlife and plant species. The forest has a unique language, let our guide from the Forest Alive Naturalist-Team translate it for you! Day tours and Night tours in all different Reserves and Parks in Monteverde and adjacent areas. Why a Private Tour? Go away from the crowds. Perfect for families. Experience the forest according to your own goals and interested. The right pace and focus for photographers(beginners, amateur and professionals equally). For people that want to have a deeper experience in understanding the different forest types of Monteverde. For Scientists like Biologist, Botanists, Ornithologist, Teachers and more...
Reviewed August 18, 2013

If you are a bird lover then you must book with Andres Alvareo's Forest Alive company. I cannot recommend Andres highly enough. We had one full day in Monteverde and he made our experience there a fantastic one.
We booked a morning bird tour with him and before we met he tailored the morning to our likes in that he found out what birds we were most interested in seeing. He organised a taxi for us and brought high quality binoculars for us to use. He had a bird book that he constantly referred to and nothing was too much trouble.
His passion for his job was clearly evident as he oozed excitement for everything we saw - not just birds. We had a great morning - we saw not only birds but monkeys, a red brocket deer, squirrels and a sloth. His knowledge was not limited to birds, either! He knew a great deal about all these other animals. We went over time in the end because we kept finding animals and then, even though we were over time, he still took us the long way out of the National Park so we could see the areas we hadn't seen, before inviting us down the road where we all had lunch together.
He was so good that we booked a night tour with him and that, too was fabulous. He knew so much about insects and spiders and we were able to see sleeping toucans, a skunk, and the rare oil bird amongst many other animals. We were the last to leave the park and even walking down the road back to the taxi he was still looking with the torch for other animals for us to see.
We have done many, many wildlife tours, and have encountered some very poor guides, but Andres has been, by far the best. We would definitely go with him again!

1  Thank Catcr
There are newer reviews for Forest Alive

Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We are experienced travellers, so when we say that Andres was the best guide we have had, it means a lot.
Andres met us early in the morning and took us for our bird tour. He was enthusiastic and knowledgeable. He not only knew where to find the birds, he knew all their calls, habits, and behaviour. In addition he knew a lot about plants and mammals. We expected a two-three hour tour - 5 hours later he sat down to lunch with us and we arranged a night tour with him. Again, he was all that we expected in a guide and more! He was even looking for animals for us on the way back to the road to be picked up by the taxi! A top guide and I can't recommend him enough. If you are serious about birding and seeing all that you can, go with Forest Alive.

2  Thank breukers4
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My wife, our two daughters and I recently had an absolutely wonderful experience with Andres touring the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve and SkyWalk/SkyTram. Andy was so informative, so engaging, so passionate, so knowledgeable about the amazing canopy, the history of Costa Rica, chocolate, coffee, politics -- and nearly any other topic we talked about during our full-day touring with him. He is so comfortable in his role that he made the whole experience simply transformative...... and, I truly feel, made this day the clear highlight of our amazing Costa Rica trip. Spending time with Andy allowed all of us to get a very real sense for what makes this fascinating country so very special - and, of course, what makes the forest so critically important!

In addition to all the above, Andy was so very flexible with some of the last-miniute changes to our touring schedule. Rather than try to fit us into his plans, he simply made some alterations to our tour and was able to spend the whole day with us.

Quite simply, you MUST go see Monteverde on a trip to Costa Rica -- and you MUST see it with Andy. Our family is so truly grateful for his efforts and expertise -- and for the time he spent educating us about the things he is so very passionate about.......

As an aside, Andy helped us book a room at El Establo -- a wonderful hotel!!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Andres is a naturalist and knows his costa rica terrain. We did a night tour in a small refugio and then a walk through the Selvatura canopy with him the next day. It was a perfect introduction to Monteverde's biodiversity. He weaves a wonderful science-based story about the various symbiotic relationships in the forest. Andy is easy to contact, is respected by his fellow guides, and, in our view, provides value for the price he charges for his tours. As an aside, it was terrific to ride the zipline at Selvatura after walking (at all levels) the canopy bridges with Andres in the morning.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

My family will never look at nature the same way. Thank you Andy, for opening our eyes to the amazing depth and magic of Costa Rican wildlife. You are a true gift.

My daughter and our guests stayed in Monteverde for 2 nights and took a guided tour with Andy. We loved his guiding so much, I paid to bring him to the Celeste Mountain Lodge by Tenorio Volcano to provide insight on our trip to Rio Celeste (and the wonderful trails at the ecolodge) with the rest of my family. Everyone loved him - even my 13 year old! Andy knows how to spot the "hidden" nature all around you. His knowledge and depth of experience open up a whole new world that you just simply miss without him. I tried hikes with other guides previously and then solo in Arenal, the hidden bridges, and other places without seeing or understanding much. Now I know, I just did not know what to look for or the breadth of knowledge to "get it"! After the first tour with Andy, my 17 year old said, "I could listen to him ALL DAY!" Now we are home and often wonder, "What would Andy say about this!?" and "What would he think of that!" I feel very blessed to have gotten to work with him.

I suspect I will return to Costa Rica and have Andy bring us into Tortuguero or Corcovado too. He is worth every penny. If you are going to pay the money to go to Costa Rica and get into the forests there, it does not make sense to miss out on the amazing opportunity to understand and love the forests in a whole new way. What a life-changing tour! Truly a magical opportunity!