“A MUST do in MonteVerde!”

Finca Modelo Ecologica Familia Brenes
Ranked #11 of 25 Nature & Parks in Monteverde
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Our Adventure Company Tours will take you to the best experience of tours, the Canyoning Tour Monteverde, our new Attraction TreeTop Climbing Monteverde (Climbing a Ficus tree of 132 feet tall) and our Night Walk Tour with climbing the ficus tree with lights inside and after tour a dinner. Visit us in La Cruz, Monteverde, Costa Rica.
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had a blast on this trip! Family run, friendly guides, lots of adventure!! Our group had 6 people total. They provide gloves, harnesses, and helmets. Looks like they had jackets also but we didn't need them. FYI, you can rent shoes for $5 if you don't have closed toes shoes that you don't mind getting wet. They had lots of sizes of shoes and they even had a size 13 for my husband. :). I wore my own shoes. They have nice bathrooms to change in, lockers, and a make shift shower and hose for after the trip. Don't bring a camera because the guides take plenty of photos for you and it is $15 to get a DVD of them at the end. Well worth it!! Melban and Chris were our guides and made us feel very safe. You have your own line for rappeling plus they have a safety line. There is some hiking and trekking through the river but not too much. That part was fun too! We had such a blast and it was one of our favorite adventures in Costa Rica! Definitely unique and worth doing! Don't forget... Lean back!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We decided in the morning to do a waterfall rappel and our hotel had information on this company. They called and organized the pick up for us at 1030am. We were picked up by owner Melvin and his nephew Martin. It was a short drive to their office and the start of the tour. We were a small group of five. Both Melvin and Martin were our guides. We were outfitted and got instructions. There are six waterfalls. It is not all straight down. We walked a little from the start of the trail to where the first waterfall was. We got very wet even before rappelling as we walked in the pools of water and as I later discovered some pools are deep! I am 5'3 and I was chest deep in water in one pool. This was a tremendous experience! I am an experienced rock climber but found this challenging because of the water. However, both guides were very calm and competent and we had a safety rope at all times in addition to the other rope. I found the rope a little tricky at times. It didn't slide quite as easily as I am used to but I suspect that was just me being careful and not accustomed to other people's equipment. I banged my left elbow a few times but nothing serious. One of the climbers had very long legs and he straddled many of the falls easily. The first fall was a great intro and gave us good practice. The tallest waterfall is 140 feet tall and that was a blast. We did this in March and were pleasantly surprised that it was a clear and sunny day as it had rained since we arrived the previous 3 days. They recommend closed toe shoes, a towel and a change of clothes. It did get cold for me towards the end as the water and lack of sunlit in the jungle got to me but I had a great time You will do some brief walks occasionally to get from one water fall to another to rappel. You will be scrambling over rocks at times. We were glad to be in a small group but if there is a large group they use more guides. It was a great experience and I like the fact that it is run by the family. We paid usd50 per person and found it to be great value. I did not bring a waterproof case for my camera so I opted to leave that behind and purchased the photos they took, I though 15 bucks was a great value considering it would have cost me more to replace a ruined camera or iPhone. They have lockers with keys on the premise which we used to while rappelling. My boys are 16 and 13 so I am not sure what the youngest age kid they can or will take. They have nice bathrooms for you to get out of wet clothes but I don't think there was a shower. I would highly recommend this. We spent 3 hours from pick up to drop off. It was a very relaxed pace though the day was also exciting and tremendous fun. The family is truly salt of the earth. You won't regret doing this but do be prepared for a few bumps or bruises if you are not used to rappelling. I wore a swimsuit under my shorts and t shirt. Mainly to prevent chaffing from the equipment. I did not bother with socks. Put this activity on your must do list!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

After spending 2 weeks in Costa Rica, we did numerous adventures: 3 zip-lining tours, 2 canyoning tours, white water rafting, several hikes (day & night), beach days, etc. This was our favorite excursion of the trip.

Of all the adventure companies in Monteverde, this company was the least commercialized--which was also nice. It felt family run, more relaxing and had the best guide of our trip. Since we went in September, it was not busy at all. Just the two of us plus the guide. Regardless, this was the most exhilarating of all the excursions.

You rappelled right down the middle of the each waterfall. Having rappelled several times on some pretty big mountains, I thought this was quite technical. Slippery surfaces, uneven rocks, water constantly splashing in your face--this is what made it so much fun. The guide was fantastic, and made the excursion that much better. As soon as it ended, we were ready to go right back and start over again.

Again, no fancy get-up with elaborate meals when you're done and all the unnecessary bells and whistles (which you pay for). This was a simple and straightforward operation--and I would take this EVERY time over the big commercialized companies. I kept thinking--this is the best kept secret of Monteverde--why aren't they pushing the advertising like all the other companies? You didn't hear much from the people in town about this tour. Strange.

Regardless, we will be back--definitely--and will probably do this adventure a couple times the next trip! We've told all our friends. Again, our favorite tour of the trip!!

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We went there not knowing what to expect and it turned out to be amazing. Rappelling down a 40m waterfall in the middle of the the forest is really hard to beat when it gets to extreme sports. Also there are about 6 waterfalls so you get a chance to get the hang of it and enjoy the last ones even more fully. The guide was really good, genuinely enthusiastic, he really keeps you hyped between waterfalls. I definitely recommended to anyone who is into adrenaline.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

I traveled with my 12 yo daughter and we chose this trip with a little trepidation. The guides were wonderful and made us both feel very safe and comfortable. There is always a way to walk around the falls. But we didn't want to wimp out and it was worth it- even if the water was a bit cold!