Casa Batsu
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Monteverde Inn(Monteverde)
View Hotel
Hotel El Tucan(Santa Elena)
  • Breakfast included
Cala Lodge(Monteverde)
El Establo(Monteverde)
  • Breakfast included
Los Pinos - Cabanas y Jardines(Cerro Plano)
View Hotel
All reviewsmariposa roomrecommend casahis wifeb bcosta ricamulti coursefour coursesan amazing cookcloud foresthuevos rancherossmall bed and breakfastthree roomsan amazing hostcevichehome away from homehelped us planfresh juice
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 20, 2013

My husband and I just got back from spending our honeymoon in Costa Rica. We traveled throughout the country but ended up in Monteverde for our last two days. Not enough time to see everything we wanted to--which just means we'll have to come back!!

We chose to stay at Casa Batsu because of all the great reviews, especially those highlighting how warm and welcoming the hosts are. They really are that awesome! Both Carlos and his wife Paola (Paula?) truly made us feel at home. Soon after we arrived, Carlos took us on a walk around the large property. Without pressuring us, he helped us figure out our plans and gave us great suggestions for what to do. He drove us to the cloud forest and didn't mind stopping along the way at multiple ATMs until we found one that accepted my debit card. On our last morning, he made us breakfast at 6AM and drove us to the bus station. We could have called a taxi, but Carlos insisted on driving us himself. I also appreciated that he suggested that we take the local bus to San Jose--lots of people in the tourism industry would have suggested a more expensive option. (BTW, the bus was great--cheap, very comfortable, non-stop to the airport.)

Casa Batsu isn't fancy, but it is extremely clean and comfortable. The art, especially the stained glass wall painted by Paola, is gorgeous. I enjoyed sitting on the hammock outside the house and just letting my mind wander. We stayed in the Colibri room and it was incredibly spacious--it's a 2 BR apartment with a full kitchen. We weren't there long enough to take advantage of cooking our own food, but that would be a huge plus if you're staying for longer or traveling as a family. The breakfast was wonderful, and it was great to have coffee and tea available at all times.

Casa Batsu is a wonderful place. I'm not sure when I'll make it back to Costa Rica, but I truly hope to cross paths in the future with Carlos and his family.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MeghanBK-S
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I can not say enough good things about Carlos, his family and his B&B. They are super sweet and very helpful. The breakfast was delicious, different and abundant! The B&B was close enough to town yet far enough that you felt you were away from the center. I will be back!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank brendad288
Reviewed November 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon and had an absolutely wonderful experience. Carlos and his wife made us feel right at home and our stay felt very relaxed and personal. You simply do not get to experience Costa Rica this way if you stay in a larger hotel. Our room was beautiful, comfortable, and clean (the Mariposa Room). The common area (veranda) is beautiful and looks out on gardens where you will see flowers, colorful birds, and blue morpho butterflies. Carlos gave us great advice and helped us plan our Cloud Forest activities. I can't even begin to describe how helpful he was during our stay and also when we were communicating and planning before we arrived in CR. We were treated to amazing food...some of the best we have ever had. Breakfast is a multi-course delicious meal with generous portions to help fuel your day. Since it was the off season and we are the type to stay at home, we arranged for Carlos to make us dinner the two nights we were there and it was one of the most special parts of our honeymoon. We also explored the land belonging to Casa Batsu and saw Carlos' budding coffee plantation. This really was a great stay with true professionals in hospitality and dining, not to mention just a really wonderful family.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth T
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Yes, all the reviews on Carlos are correct. He is an amazing host. From the second we stepped foot on his property we were spoiled. He greeted us with delicious juice and since we arrived early and the room was not quite ready, took us on a tour of his property and began giving us some history and educating us on monteverde. He gave us great reccomendations on things to do and restaurants to eat at. The rooms are small but very clean and cozy and has a lot of character. I don't know if we got really lucky, but it was the only place we stayed at in Costa Rica where I did not get bitten up by insects, and I stayed at a very nice upscale hotel in Arenal. Carlos has breakfast ready for us whenever we wake up in the morning and it is delicious and the portions are huge! Highly recommend casa batsu if you are ever in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Alice L
CasaBatsu, Owner at Casa Batsu, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Dear Alice L,

Thanks for your kind comment. For us at Casa Batsu, is a real pleasure to be part of your experience in Costa Rica. We are honored with the opportunity to meet you and be part of this special journey.

Batsu House doors will remain open for you, I hope you can visit us some other time. My house is your house.

a hug from the Cloud Forest,

Carlos

Reviewed September 30, 2013

My boyfriend and I loved Casa Batsu! Carlos and his family were amazing! My boyfriend and I had not planned out any of our trip and we were exhausted/ had no idea what to do for our short stay in Monte Verde. Carlos made us the most delicious cup of coffee and sat us down with banana bread to discuss all the great things to do in Monte Verde (his english is perfect). He was amazing! And he had a program that allowed us to easily book all of our tours/ transportation. I wish we could have had Carlos come all over Costa Rica with us! He even booked our hotel in Manuel Antonio.

In addition to cooking us the most AMAZING breakfast (best food we had in all of Costa Rica) he drove us in his car into town, gave us a tour of his farm/ coffee plants, showed us a tarantula on a trail, had great recommendations, explained why the cloud forest is so special, and made sure we were happy and comfortable. He went above and beyond our expectations! Casa Batsu is super clean (it was constantly being cleaned) and the outdoor area has a beautiful glass panel and hammocks. There was always coffee and tea (incredible coffee).

Staying at Casa Batsu was the best part of our trip to Costa Rica!!! We wished we stayed longer! It felt like staying with family! Thank you Carlos and Paula!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple